Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 Chrony problems...

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

F1 Chrony problems...

Gents,

I'm posting a question here first in the hope that someone may have some advice or a solution to an issue...

I very recently bought an F1 SHOOTING CHRONY (the green model) brand new. I've not been able to try it until today, and basically it's not showing any sort of reading. Now, I've already tried the following:

1. Brand new Duracell battery fitted.
    2. Tried switching off/on.
    3. Tried with & without the metal frames/white plastic light diffusers.
    4. Tried shooting both in & outdoors.
    5. Tried shooting at slightly different heights and also distances away from the chrony.

Nothing so far has worked. The unit switches on and shows the 'AL' reading with the kind of circular motion each side of the AL (which the instructions state shows it's working) but nothing else; no 'error' readings and definitely no FPS readings. I've only tried it so far with a sub-12fpe Rapid 17, so it certainly shouldn't be getting affected by muzzle blast!

I've had one of these before with no issues and have used one at my local RFD with no issues, so I'm at a loss. Before I phone the retailer tomorrow and potentially send it back, is there anything I'm missing?

Cheers
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    is there anything I'm missing?
    Pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Pellets?
    I knew it'd be something simple...

Sorry mate, I remembered them too. It was loaded with Baracuda Match.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

make sure both sensors are clean.

Gents,

I'm posting a question here first in the hope that someone may have some advice or a solution to an issue...

I very recently bought an F1 SHOOTING CHRONY (the green model) brand new. I've not been able to try it until today, and basically it's not showing any sort of reading. Now, I've already tried the following:

1. Brand new Duracell battery fitted.
    2. Tried switching off/on.
    3. Tried with & without the metal frames/white plastic light diffusers.
    4. Tried shooting both in & outdoors.
    5. Tried shooting at slightly different heights and also distances away from the chrony.

Nothing so far has worked. The unit switches on and shows the 'AL' reading with the kind of circular motion each side of the AL (which the instructions state shows it's working) but nothing else; no 'error' readings and definitely no FPS readings. I've only tried it so far with a sub-12fpe Rapid 17, so it certainly shouldn't be getting affected by muzzle blast!

I've had one of these before with no issues and have used one at my local RFD with no issues, so I'm at a loss. Before I phone the retailer tomorrow and potentially send it back, is there anything I'm missing?

Cheers
    On my Chrony when the alarm shows you have to push the black button in twice and eventually the brackets will come on the screen between which the fps will show on firing.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    make sure both sensors are clean.
    Sensors should be clean (they do look fine) as it's a new chrony and this is the first use.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    On my Chrony when the alarm shows you have to push the black button in twice and eventually the brackets will come on the screen between which the fps will show on firing.

Baz
    The black button on mine doesn't press in, it's a simple sliding switch for on/off...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Having recently bought the same model I can share my findings.
    1. Make sure that barrel is about 2ft away and aligned to go through the gap about 5 inches above the sensors.
    2. Poor light gives poor results if any at all.
    Try using it in good light and take a look at youtube, plenty of videos demonstrating how to get best results.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Having recently bought the same model I can share my findings.
    1. Make sure that barrel is about 2ft away and aligned to go through the gap about 5 inches above the sensors.
    2. Poor light gives poor results if any at all.
    Try using it in good light and take a look at youtube, plenty of videos demonstrating how to get best results.
    Thanks Rob. It was pretty decent light today, tested indoors (conservatory) and outdoors but I'll try again tomorrow morning all being well.

In the meantime I'll check youtube but if it's the same tomorrow it'll be going back. Thanks for all the replies though
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I knew it'd be something simple...

Sorry mate, I remembered them too. It was loaded with Baracuda Match.
    I've had plenty of troubles getting the Chrony to work, seems 'light' is always the problem, but it almost always comes up with "Err" codes if it's not happy.

You should be able to throw a tennis ball over the sensors and get some kind of response!

Sounds to me like your unit might be faulty...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    I've had plenty of troubles getting the Chrony to work, seems 'light' is always the problem, but it almost always comes up with "Err" codes if it's not happy.

You should be able to throw a tennis ball over the sensors and get some kind of response!

Sounds to me like your unit might be faulty...
    I use mine every day inside and found they work better with light shining up into the diffuser screens. Got two battery operated LED units for light source.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

These can be dodgy old things ...

The obvious ...

Make sure the unit is fully opened up.

I've had one of these things for many years and they are a nightmare in the Winter months.

The best conditions they work in are in summer on a bright but overcast day. In those conditions the sun is pretty much above you and the light is strong enough but diffused.

In the winter ... nightmare. The reason I found is that the overcast days often don't give enough light and on sunny and bright days the sunlight is coming at too acute an angle to the sensors. So the little slits above the sensors are actually keeping the sensors in shadow.

In the winter the sun is actually much lower in the sky to us in the UK.

I found the best method is this ( please be careful and safe ) ...

On a decent and bright day take a simple kitchen chair outside. The best option is so you can fire into a soft grassed lawn. Against the chair you rest a plank of wood that is wide enough to sit the Chrony on. Screw a small screw into the plank so the Chrony can be hooked onto that screw via its keyhole slot. Make sure the Chrony is fully unfolded and rested on plank. Position the chair and plank so that the plank face ( sensors on Chrony ) are pointing at the sun. So you've technically just adjusted the angle of the Chrony from horizontal with the sun ( light source ) above you ... to an angle so that the sun is technically still directly above both sensors.

Take battery out completely despite the on off switch being switched to off. Refit battery. Switch on. Quickly swipe hand over both sensors to test for a reading. If you are getting readings then try pellets. Keep barrel a few inches above sensors and about 6 to 12 inches back from first sensor.

It will work ( or it's knackered ).

If using indoors you can use the metal rods and diffusers and attach those little round multi LED light things under the diffusers pointed directly down onto sensors. You can use magnets on the top side of diffusers to hold lights in place. Works well.

The key with these is, to repeat, to get light directly above the sensors, so in the winter, the lower sun position won't often work with the unit and sensors in a horizontal position.

Good luck and please let us know how you go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I use mine every day inside and found they work better with light shining up into the diffuser screens. Got two battery operated LED units for light source.

Baz
    I use mine in the garage, unfortunately not far from a 5 foot fluorescent unit. However, yep, a 500w halogen floodlight on the bench, angled UP, cancels everything else out.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post

The obvious ...

Make sure the unit is fully opened up.

I've had one of these things for many years and they are a nightmare in the Winter months.

The best conditions they work in are in summer on a bright but overcast day. In those conditions the sun is pretty much above you and the light is strong enough but diffused.

In the winter ... nightmare. The reason I found is that the overcast days often don't give enough light and on sunny and bright days the sunlight is coming at too acute an angle to the sensors. So the little slits above the sensors are actually keeping the sensors in shadow.

In the winter the sun is actually much lower in the sky to us in the UK.

I found the best method is this ( please be careful and safe ) ...

On a decent and bright day take a simple kitchen chair outside. The best option is so you can fire into a soft grassed lawn. Against the chair you rest a plank of wood that is wide enough to sit the Chrony on. Screw a small screw into the plank so the Chrony can be hooked onto that screw via its keyhole slot. Make sure the Chrony is fully unfolded and rested on plank. Position the chair and plank so that the plank face ( sensors on Chrony ) are pointing at the sun. So you've technically just adjusted the angle of the Chrony from horizontal with the sun ( light source ) above you ... to an angle so that the sun is technically still directly above both sensors.

Take battery out completely despite the on off switch being switched to off. Refit battery. Switch on. Quickly swipe hand over both sensors to test for a reading. If you are getting readings then try pellets. Keep barrel a few inches above sensors and about 6 to 12 inches back from first sensor.

It will work ( or it's knackered ).

If using indoors you can use the metal rods and diffusers and attach those little round multi LED light things under the diffusers pointed directly down onto sensors. You can use magnets on the top side of diffusers to hold lights in place. Works well.

The key with these is, to repeat, to get light directly above the sensors, so in the winter, the lower sun position won't often work with the unit and sensors in a horizontal position.

Good luck and please let us know how you go on.
    Brilliant, thanks bozzer. I'll give it a whirl in the morning
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Only issues I've experienced was either dud batteries or low light.
    This sounds like a defect !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post

I do pretty much the same, but use a tripod at a low setting and angle the Chrony downwards. And I agree, they are dodgy old things and I will always use a Combro where possible.

Alan