Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F1 Chrony problems...

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread but in particular bozzer; I owe you a pint!

I've tried again today and basically balanced two LED torches on top of the diffusers pointing downwards. Hey presto, it works! Consistent readings too, with only a couple of error readings down to me not aligning the rifle I think.

Anyway all sorted, so I'm a happy bunny and can now confirm my Rapid is running at a very healthy 11.4fpe with the Baracudas.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Result.

Glad you sorted it ... but it has certainly put me off buying a F1 Chrony

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Glad you sorted it ... but it has certainly put me off buying a F1 Chrony
    Likewise, sounds crap.

My old targettronics is basically a self contained box, with LED light source and sensors inside the box. Shoot through the 4" hole in the front of the box, job done. Works in anything from bright sunlight to complete darkness, it just works - and has been now for over 10 years, faultlessly.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Likewise, sounds crap.

My old targettronics is basically a self contained box, with LED light source and sensors inside the box. Shoot through the 4" hole in the front of the box, job done. Works in anything from bright sunlight to complete darkness, it just works - and has been now for over 10 years, faultlessly.
    Not sure it'd last long with my .308 though...

I have to say, this F1 is the first I've had issues with. As I said earlier I've owned one previously which worked faultlessly and without fuss, as does the battered and well used old F1 which my local RFD as loaned me on occasion. I think this one is just a bit picky with the winter light at the mo, seeing as it worked well today with some improvised artificial lighting.

I know there are much better units on the market but the reason I bought the F1 over a combro or shoot through box type (Skan etc.) was two fold; cost effectiveness as I don't use it often, and the fact it's rated for firearms and I'm less likely to shoot the bloody thing due to shooting 'over the top' of it.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post
    Not sure it'd last long with my .308 though...

I'm less likely to shoot the bloody thing due to shooting 'over the top' of it.
    I am saying nothing other than it is possible to shoot it
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Hoorah ... result ... well done.

They are dodgy in the winter when the sun is low and the natural light weak on cloudy days.

Once you get used to angling them towards the sun then they usually work everytime and you can use them indoors with the LED units simply enough.

They can be useful for longer downrange chrono readings for testing for BC etc. You put a thick piece of Perspex in front of the unit and you can shoot over the top of the sensors at a card/paper target correctly placed at the rear.

As Rob suggests ... there are more than a few of these with a big dent in the metal work at the front ... mine included.

Having detonated a couple over the years , spares are available from the Canadian service centre.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Hoorah ... result ... well done.

They are dodgy in the winter when the sun is low and the natural light weak on cloudy days.

Once you get used to angling them towards the sun then they usually work everytime and you can use them indoors with the LED units simply enough.

They can be useful for longer downrange chrono readings for testing for BC etc. You put a thick piece of Perspex in front of the unit and you can shoot over the top of the sensors at a card/paper target correctly placed at the rear.

As Rob suggests ... there are more than a few of these with a big dent in the metal work at the front ... mine included.
    My dent is at the back next to sensor housing. Huge dent in the tough metal.

A.G

I shot and repaired the rear sensor housing next to the right hand leg on day two of ownership. Marvellous stuff is Q-Bond.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    I shot and repaired the rear sensor housing next to the right hand leg on day two of ownership. Marvellous stuff is Q-Bond.
    I have two Chronys, a new one and an old one which is armour plated. I formed sheet metal plates that fit over the sensor and painted it the original red colour, looks like an original fitting from factory. Decided to do this after shooting it about 7 times.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

i thinks it's amazing that we all aspire to creating micro groups at gigantic distances and still fail to be able to miss a chrony from less than a yard away

any body got pics of chrony carnage ????

I've got stacks of candidates ......I'll take some snaps ....it's all quite sad really

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    i thinks it's amazing that we all aspire to creating micro groups at gigantic distances and still fail to be able to miss a chrony from less than a yard away

I've got stacks of candidates ......I'll take some snaps ....it's all quite sad really
    I think it's a manufacturing trick; they clearly fill these gadgets with high power special magnets which cause projectiles to deviate from the flight path!

So far, each of the F1's I've had have suffered no damage. Alas, the same cannot be said of my last Combro, which ended up in several small pieces...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post

It goes to prove that trajectory is below what we think at close range and some of us can't shoot for sh*t

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    It goes to prove that trajectory is below what we think at close range and some of us can't shoot for sh*t
    Its the way the rifle or pistol is held when using a Chrony. At our range you will see that people hold them at waist level and gauge the angle of the barrel to clear the two sensors.I have never seen anyone shooting an air rifle over a Chrony using the sights, only when shooting a full bore firearm over it due to the further distance it needs to be away from the rifle due to muzzle blast.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD