Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F1 Chrony problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    I shot and repaired the rear sensor housing next to the right hand leg on day two of ownership. Marvellous stuff is Q-Bond.
    Mine was caused by an HW 45 of all things. Never knew the damned thing had so much power. Mercifully it only chiped a little from the plastic housing but the metal next to it reall shows a great impact.

A.G

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    I do pretty much the same, but use a tripod at a low setting and angle the Chrony downwards. And I agree, they are dodgy old things and I will always use a Combro where possible.

Alan
    Me too, never had any such problems with my trusty old 625!

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    i thinks it's amazing that we all aspire to creating micro groups at gigantic distances and still fail to be able to miss a chrony from less than a yard away

any body got pics of chrony carnage ????

I've got stacks of candidates ......I'll take some snaps ....it's all quite sad really
    And i've got a pair of tinsnips and your internet cable

I swapped the barrel in my my .177 S400 this morning so I used my Chrony to clock it: light conditions were just about perfect so I did it outside. After all this talk about Chronys and Combros I decided to compare directly. The Combro read between 8 and 10 fps lower than the Chrony on every shot (using JSB Heavies). I tried again indoors with LEDs and got exactly the same result. The good news is that the chronos were pretty consistent, the problem is which do I believe - if either!

Obviously, for legal reasons I've gone with the Chrony but I have serious doubts about both. My club's Skan is not much help either. At least the Chrony and Combro go up and down more or less in step, the Skan is all over the place to the extent that I'm becoming more and more convinced its knackered (despite its magic self-test). Frustrating!!!

Alan

If you mount an LED light or a conventional reading lamp bulb on top of your diffusers and do your testing indoors I find the F1 works just fine, I have a Combro and had a Skan till it died and both of those had their inconsistencies, especially the Combro on a springer, but since mounting a lighting system on my diffusers I have had no problems with the F1 at all.

I bought my Chrony as a set with the incandescent lighting kit, and was a bit surprised when it became a bit 'iffy' in use (lots of Err readings). Seems they've gone over to LED lights now, slung under the sun screens.

I'll share my fix to this problem.
    Buy some sticky back Velcro squares (like £2 from b&q)
    Led push lights (£1-2 b&q)
    Put Velcro on the lights and then put the other Velcro attachment to the middle white plastic bit that comes with the chrony for cloudy days. Mount and turn lights on!
    With this set up mine works in all conditions and lighting because the LEDs are mounted directly above sensors

Yet another F1 user who has solved any problems with a couple of quid and a trip to the electrical store!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Yet another F1 user who has solved any problems with a couple of quid and a trip to the electrical store!
    ...so why it it beyone the wit of the manufacturer to incorporate this fix into their product ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    ...so why it it beyone the wit of the manufacturer to incorporate this fix into their product ?
    Because then they don't get to sell their lighting kit to those who cant be asked to make their own!

Cool Chrony trouble

Hello folks

I have solved my troubles with my Chrony by mounting IR Led strips under the diffusers.
    The Leds are powered by a 3S Lipo (i have a few of those due to my modelflying hobby)

The IR Led strips where bought via Aliexpress for about 10 dollar and are self-adhesive.

Kind regards

Robert Hermens

How to be an idiot with a Chrony F1 ... my story ...

Buy the F1.

For a very long time ( years ), place it on a flat surface at chest level in the garden, and use it to test a HW77 in a deep forend custom stock. The set up is such that you have the Chrony positioned such that you rest your hand on a surface and then rest the deep fore end 77 on your hand and the muzzle will be a couple of inches over the sensors. You have placed a target on the rear garden fence several yards away and you can look through the scope and aim and fire at the target and, in decent summer light, you can get decent readings.

Then, in a moment of wisdom, decide to test another 77 in a stock that has a fore end a couple of inches shallower than the first one. Enjoy as you look through the scope at the target and pull the trigger and hear the pellet smash into the front of the Chrony ... because the muzzle is now 2 inches lower you ****ing idiot.

... but it still works.

Then ... rescue a lurcher puppy and call him Fred. Fall in love with Fred and give him a wonderful life despite the fact that he keeps pee'ing all over the house. Seeing as you know Fred keeps pee'ing all over the house you keep your boxed Chrony on the floor in the living room, tucked under the gap at the bottom of the bookcase. Indubitably one day Fred urinates all over the book case and the flow makes it's way under the gap and soaks your Chrony cardboard box and all it's contents. You thank Fred for his efforts and you take out the Chrony, which is dripping with pee, and you clean it off as best you can with tissues.

You have a master brainwave how to dry off the box and rest of contents ( instruction paperwork. steel rods and plastic diffusers ). You get the fire going and you place the cardboard box and contents right in front of the fire. You then settle down in front of the tele with a beer ( or two ) and you fall asleep. You wake a short time later to the harmonious tones of the smoke alarm, and after a short panic whilst gathering your senses, you notice the distinctive smell of melting plastic. The cardboard Chrony box and the plastic diffusers are not at all well at this point.

... but the Chrony still works.

Class,

I put a 5mm thick alloy plate in front of the back sensor to prevent that getting accidentally shot, thing is the chrono works just the same if you fire the shot in the middle of the arpeture six inches above the sensors, you don't need to fire it just over the top.

My Chrony has been faultless too once you understand the degree it's reliant on good light and have a scheme to assure consistant readings.

I had a combro but alignment for that across different rifles with/without silencers/foresights was a pain- and totally inappropriate for pistols. I have a Skan too now which is superb, and is consistently within 5 fps or so with the Chrony. The Chrony is the only device I have which will work across my rifles and pistols.

My approach with using the Chrony indoors has been to 'borrow' the halogen uplighter lamp we have in the front room and have that shining up onto the (painted white) ceiling. With the sky screens in place too it provides a perfect environment for consistent measurements. I found that 8-10 inches from the front screen is enough distance to be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyd345 View Post
    I'll share my fix to this problem.
    Buy some sticky back Velcro squares (like £2 from b&q)
    Led push lights (£1-2 b&q)
    Put Velcro on the lights and then put the other Velcro attachment to the middle white plastic bit that comes with the chrony for cloudy days. Mount and turn lights on!
    With this set up mine works in all conditions and lighting because the LEDs are mounted directly above sensors

Can you show a picture of your fix please?