Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rws 45

Rws 45

I've dusted off a .177 RWS 45 and had a couple of sessions trying to get reacquainted with it's characteristics. I had this apart over a decade ago and cannot fully recall what I have done on the inside aside of a new ptfe piston head. It may have a new nylon guide n top hat but I can't recall. Anyhow it fires nice enough but I couldn't really get along with it these couple of sessions. I had it's compatriot out the other week in the for m of an Original 50T01. Though the underlever was in .22 and lower powered it was much easier to get reasonable groups with. These two basically share the same power plant in the form of same guide spring and piston set up.
    I finally managed to turn in some acceptable groups this afternoon and began to enjoy the gun much better. I shot H&N FTT through it by the way (unless anyone has some suggestions as to an alternative to these)?
    Aside of a certain editor of a past sporting air gun mag does anyone have good memories of hunting or using the RWS 45 in the past? What was your take on it? As we know it's basically a Diana 45 in what us basically a 35 stock. I think it looks a tad better than the Diana 45 but I suspect that the Diana stock may handle better?
    I'm also debating whether it would be worth my while changing over to a Vortek synthetic head in lieu of the ptfe existing. Anyone got experience of this?
    Dave:-(

Its a good rifle, looks better than the Original 45 stock wise but not much better handling really.I think I would change the ptfe for a synthetic version though the leather seal was good enough in the original.

Mine was new in 84 bought after Jim Tyler tested it.Its a rifle that I sold on & wish I hadn't.

Only ever used the Original 45. Its a springer so forget all that you know in shooting a PCP!
    Using springer techniques then its able to 30m or so, but its all in managing the system to keep it "there". When done correctly they are accurate ut all very unforgiving unless well practiced. The 45 is easier to drive than say a FWB Sport and can give a HW80 even HW77 a run for its money. Some seems to want to shoot more accurately/forgivingly than others.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Its a good rifle, looks better than the Original 45 stock wise but not much better handling really.I think I would change the ptfe for a synthetic version though the leather seal was good enough in the original.

Mine was new in 84 bought after Jim Tyler tested it.Its a rifle that I sold on & wish I hadn't.
    My first RWS 45 was purchased cheap after it was found that a previous owner had unsuccessfully tried to change the leather head over. That is in .22. It was a real powerhouse when fixed but had to be throttled back. I seem to recall Jims .177 was FAC? I recall he was quite taken with it n I think this went some way to me going on a search for my first (the .22 gun). The .177 came along later.
    Im quite taken with them both but as posted earlier it took some practice to see best of it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Only ever used the Original 45. Its a springer so forget all that you know in shooting a PCP!
    Using springer techniques then its able to 30m or so, but its all in managing the system to keep it "there". When done correctly they are accurate ut all very unforgiving unless well practiced. The 45 is easier to drive than say a FWB Sport and can give a HW80 even HW77 a run for its money. Some seems to want to shoot more accurately/forgivingly than others.
    I know the 45 has a good pedigree n can still hold it's own against some of it's more popular competitors. I think its earned its place as a classic no less than the Original 45.
    Incidentally my gun rack is a PCP free zone. Indeed I think I can probably state that I am likely to be the only airgunner in Britain that has never aimed or fired a PCP.
    Its springers all the way for me I'm afraid
    Dave

I am also a PCP free zone, though I have shot one
    Sorry if stating the obvious to the well learn'ed

I have never shot the RWS version but I'm actually trying to purchase one at the moment. The outlet seems a bit slack at responding though.
    I rate the Original 45 highly, a lot of well thought out design work went into these guns, which were very different to other Diana's of the period. My .177 O45 is nicer and more accurate than just about every springer I have owned. It still runs the leather piston seal, standard piston sleeve and spring guide. It feels a very different animal to my pals 50T01 which is surprising. I prefer it to the big HW break barrels. I have a .22 45 also but it's a bit rough around the edges. A project gun for spare time I don't have.
    Im very curious as to how a synthetic sealed 45 would shoot. I am expecting the RWS 45 to be similar but perhaps less handy than the Original 45. I've always thought the RWS 45 would be more suited to field target shooting than the O45 due to the appearance of the stock. It would be good to shoot them back to back if I get the chance.

Theres not much in it if anything after all its the same action.The RWS 45 (remember there is also the US RWS 45 which is our Original 45) stock is a bit fatter/squarer on the fore end which is not as comfy as the Original for me.

The triggers feel nice its not a Rekord but it works wells found out the early ones had a different piston but not noticed it across my models.

Early ones had a different safety as well. The Americans got such a thing as a Crosman 6100 Challenger which is the European style RWS 45. I think some Original 45s made it over there also, all dependent on importer/ agent over there.
    Anyone know what a synthetic sealed example feels/performs like compared with the old leather washer?
    I'm away to pour a dram and get The Airgun Book out for a bit of homework on the 45s.

The 45 with the synthetic seal fitted is the later eighties version 45 TO1 which is simply a 34 in the 45 style stock, it has no cross pin for the stock fitting like the RWS,Original,Diana & Gecado 45.

Im not referring to the 34- in- drag 45, worthy though they are. Dave mentioned he has a ptfe seal fitted to his RWS 45 and the fitting of other types of synthetic seal is a reasonably common modification for the rifle.
    So how do they compare to the leather sealed originals?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Im not referring to the 34- in- drag 45, worthy though they are. Dave mentioned he has a ptfe seal fitted to his RWS 45 and the fitting of other types of synthetic seal is a reasonably common modification for the rifle.
    So how do they compare to the leather sealed originals?
    Its been so long since I changed over I cannot 100% recall the difference. From memory I seem to recall the leather seal piston had a softer discharge. Certainly the discharge seems more snappy on the guns I've converted over (I now have these seals on both 45s, a 50T01 and an older 50, plus two Anschutz 335s). The seals are more efficient and provide slight increase in swept volume. On downside they are not very forgiving of compression tube variations and I saw this first hand with converting a BSF 55. Its why im wondering if the Vortek parachute design seal may be an improvement over the ptfe.
    I deffo feel that the ptfe seal is an improvement over the leather. I know that is sacrilege in some people's eyes but it worked for me so no going back.
    Dave

Cheers, Dave. That analysis makes sense. There was a RWS 45 for sale up here recently which had been converted to synthetic and was running a Titan spring. I was very tempted with that one but I did consider it a possible recipe for running hot.
    When I stripped my .177 O45 is expected to see some modifications because the thing is so sweet. But it was still running leather with the usual piston sleeve and spring guide. The trigger was modified by the previous owner, though.
    I think there is a synthetic seal marketed in Germany for the 45 as well. I'll have a wee search for it.

I've had 3, V Mach'd when they first started out -
    Best left as leather seal.
    Cocking effort hi on 177

Lovely rifle, in 177 mine like super dome, a great 177 hunting pellet if barrel likes them .

If I regretted selling 'classic' rifles, it would be these I think -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

The RWS/Original 45 was the most accurate air rifle we tested for SAR from the bench (in .177", .20" and .22"), but away from the bench the HW77 was superior.

I recall fitting a PTFE piston seal in mine (probably in 1985) and having to dry fire it to size the seal, then short stroke it to keep it legal.