Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rws 45

Interesting. Ive read about the Original 45 vs HW77 SAR references a few times. Is this bench/ field superiority tit for tat down to the 77 being less hold sensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Interesting. Ive read about the Original 45 vs HW77 SAR references a few times. Is this bench/ field superiority tit for tat down to the 77 being less hold sensitive?
    I believe that's entirely the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I believe that's entirely the reason.
    I think that's why I struggled initially to get some consistency with the gun. I started to get there in the end n really enjoyed the couple of sessions I had with it.

Think I need another afternoon with it
    Dave

I purchased a rws 45 in .177 after reading a review in sporting air rifle back in the 80's when I was 17 replacing a hw35 export that never lived upto its reputation for me. I kept it for 23 years and shamefully sold it, for reasons I can't explain. It was untouched inside as I was too scared to strip due to the trigger, but it remained full power for thousands of shots, and claimed literally hundreds of rabbits, rats, crows and pigeons. I always used h&n sillohette. If there was ever I gun I regretted selling, why oh why!!

I know where you're coming from as ive seen the exploded drawing but it is a cartridge type trigger and comes out as a unit. It's only if there was a problem with it that you would need to take it any further.

The RWS/Original 45 was the most accurate air rifle we tested for SAR from the bench (in .177", .20" and .22"), but away from the bench the HW77 was superior.

I recall fitting a PTFE piston seal in mine (probably in 1985) and having to dry fire it to size the seal, then short stroke it to keep it legal.
    I've packed the head on the .22 but just kept to a weak possibly tired spring on the .177. Can get slightly better accuracy from the .177 though (when I show up n do my bit that is)

How did you rate the '45 as a hunting rifle Jim? I mean against others? I've stuck like glue to my '80 all these years and so never really give any individual gun a proper airing.
    Fond memories of bygone days with your old '45? Do you think/ know if it is still doing the rounds??
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I purchased a rws 45 in .177 after reading a review in sporting air rifle back in the 80's when I was 17 replacing a hw35 export that never lived upto its reputation for me. I kept it for 23 years and shamefully sold it, for reasons I can't explain. It was untouched inside as I was too scared to strip due to the trigger, but it remained full power for thousands of shots, and claimed literally hundreds of rabbits, rats, crows and pigeons. I always used h&n sillohette. If there was ever I gun I regretted selling, why oh why!!
    Oh go on n spoil yourself n get another. Like the advert says "I'm worth it"
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Cheers, Dave. That analysis makes sense. There was a RWS 45 for sale up here recently which had been converted to synthetic and was running a Titan spring. I was very tempted with that one but I did consider it a possible recipe for running hot.
    When I stripped my .177 O45 is expected to see some modifications because the thing is so sweet. But it was still running leather with the usual piston sleeve and spring guide. The trigger was modified by the previous owner, though.
    I think there is a synthetic seal marketed in Germany for the 45 as well. I'll have a wee search for it.
    Did you track down any synthetic seal mate? I would like to try one if so?
    Cheers Dave
    Last edited by jonnyone; 05-01-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Did you track down any synthetic seal mate? I would like to try on if so?
    Cheers Dave
    I've not taken the synthetic route yet Dave but have researched a couple of options for it. The .177 Original is stripped as it was misbehaving badly on the last outing. If I can't get to the bottom of it ,it will be cannibalised for my .22 45 project.
    I have the chance of an RWS45 just now and I'm going to have to give the man a ring about it. My emailed enquiries have not been answered.

How did you rate the '45 as a hunting rifle Jim? I mean against others? I've stuck like glue to my '80 all these years and so never really give any individual gun a proper airing.
    Fond memories of bygone days with your old '45? Do you think/ know if it is still doing the rounds??
    Dave
    As good as any rifle I'd used before I started shooting the HW77, Dave.

No idea where it is now, although my .20" Original 45 in the CS stock is still owned by the chap I sold it to, probably circa 1987. It's had very little use, and looks as good as it ever did.

Oh go on n spoil yourself n get another. Like the advert says "I'm worth it"
    Dave
    If I could buy mine back I would, though I kept mine as new despite field work and doubt its in the same condition now. Strangely I've kept my first gun from when I was 11, 6years before the 45.....a bloody webley hawk mk2!!!

As good as any rifle I'd used before I started shooting the HW77, Dave.

No idea where it is now, although my .20" Original 45 in the CS stock is still owned by the chap I sold it to, probably circa 1987. It's had very little use, and looks as good as it ever did.
    I bet the 45 in a custom walnut stock looked cracking and can imagine quite desirable as a keeper. Ive certainly not seen or heard of that many about sat in a custom stock. Not sure if anyone even makes them these days? I would imagine that the cross pin arrangement is a potch.
    Had hoped to get out for an hour this afternoon with said gun but a couple of pressing diy jobs beckoned instead.
    Thanks for the input Jim.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    If I could buy mine back I would, though I kept mine as new despite field work and doubt its in the same condition now. Strangely I've kept my first gun from when I was 11, 6years before the 45.....a bloody webley hawk mk2!!!
    I was forced to sell my first air gun - a BSA Meteor due to having bought it behind my parents back. My second a Relum Super Tornado I sold to get hold of a Scorpion pistol. Fond memories of that Relum. My first "decent" springer I still have upstairs in the form of a circa 81 Webley Vulcan.
    The '45s came along later as a gun I desired to have but could not afford. I suppose that means I have different memories of the marque from yourself having owned and used one "back in the day"
    Dave

My rws cost me £70 new from MAG, I really wanted a mk1 80 like my friends but they were £110 new. Considering I was on a YTS on £25 a week it was a big difference! Managed to get a lovely mk1 a few years ago, a lot more than £110 though!!!