Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW100 hell, help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    I'm usually the last person to mess about with a reg' (because I believe among other things, they can contain ghosts), but the HW100 reg' is just a chamber containing a stack of belville washers.

The only HW100 I've ever worked on (an old MK1 version), I found the reg' chamber half-full of rusty water - which was odd.
    Years of being filled up with a foot pump rather than the dry air of the bottle? I can't imaging what the cylinder must have contained although thank god because of German law they have to made of SS rather than just Extruded Steel HW Cylinders are safe.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyg View Post
    both, made no difference.
    I would say that it is barrel depndent. I have heard so many people go on about Bisely Magnums but this one does not work in my barrel. 1" grouping at best at 30 yards. You really need to test the pellets.
    I find the best grouping 3/8" at 40 yrads with exact 4.53 and even beter with the expensive JSB Premiums 4.52 but these cost the same price of a .22 LR round and are out of my leaguge.
    The JSB heavies are also good but not as good as the exacts. The other pellet that I found accurate upto 40 yards was the H and N Hunter Xtreme. 3/4" at 40 yards or so. I have also had good success with the old Defiant HFT Specials. But as a whole I have setteld on the Exact 4.53s for genral target and plinking.

A.G

I have tried RWS Superdomes, JSB Exact 4.52 + 4.53 and Weihrauch FT. The latter had loads of fliers but on inspecting the pellets, they had loads of slightly damaged / mis shaped skirts.
    My barrel seems to prefer either the 4.53 JSB and the Superdomes. Not tried any others as yet.

atb

Bri

Last time i had it done,Tench serviced mine including reg setting for £50 plus post.I would rather work a sat morning and send it to him.My fingers are too fat to be playing with orings etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrc29 View Post
    I've ordered the reg tester, some more seals, and likely a new set of belville washers.
    The regulator is the only thing I've not dissambled and cleaned, I'll give this a go and then work my way back through.
    I've investigated getting it tuned by a professional, and including postage most of them cost upwards of £150 - 250.

The hope is I can sort this myself and learn a bit about the system on the way.
    You can sort this yourself, sod paying all that, Majority of the HW100's I have repaired (over 50) have been fiddled with, it's really easy to knock them out of balance and then make it even worse trying to fix it, a prime example is your power problem, you see 8ftlbs and think it's set too low yet in reality the pressures too high so the hammer spring is not strong enough to open the valve, the power spike clearly shows this, it's counter intuitive and sends you in the wrong direction making it all worse!

If you unscrew the reg adjuster a half turn you will very likely see the power go up, what you can do for now is keep unscrewing it a quarter of a turn at a time until the power first increases then starts to drop then stop there, knowing your not over compressing the belville washers, remember you have to fire the rifle after each adjustment for the reg to refill to the adjusted pressure so you wont get the corrected pressure until the second shot.

Get it firing properly first then we can go through the tweeks that improve the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I would say that it is barrel depndent. I have heard so many people go on about Bisely Magnums but this one does not work in my barrel. 1" grouping at best at 30 yards. You really need to test the pellets.
    I find the best grouping 3/8" at 40 yrads with exact 4.53 and even beter with the expensive JSB Premiums 4.52 but these cost the same price of a .22 LR round and are out of my leaguge.
    The JSB heavies are also good but not as good as the exacts. The other pellet that I found accurate upto 40 yards was the H and N Hunter Xtreme. 3/4" at 40 yards or so. I have also had good success with the old Defiant HFT Specials. But as a whole I have setteld on the Exact 4.53s for genral target and plinking.

A.G
    I wish mine was good with Exacts..I have 40+ tins of them for other rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyg View Post
    I wish mine was good with Exacts..I have 40+ tins of them for other rifles.
    Have you tried Express, I find these to group better than 8.44 in my 100 and all my HW barrels, the ultimate are 07-08 Webley Mosquitos (Express in another tin) but off this Die I get 16mm c-c 10 shot groups at 55yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Have you tried Express, I find these to group better than 8.44 in my 100 and all my HW barrels, the ultimate are 07-08 Webley Mosquitos (Express in another tin) but off this Die I get 16mm c-c 10 shot groups at 55yds.
    nope, just the heavies and im more than happy with them

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    I have tried the new Mosquitos, beter than the JSB Express but also quite expensive ( they are the Express from a few selected dies I believe ) my only concern is that they take a little more wind than the Exact 8.44s but the exra speed is certainly helpful in dealing with quick reacting pests I guess, about 810 ft/s in my HW 98 and just under 800 in my HW 100.

A.G

Yeah 810fps is where I set them, in terms of group size I find them superior to all other pellets in my HW barrels, they consistently out group every thing else I have tested!

The other one which I am finding exceptional in my springers (not done any testing in the precharges) is Falcon Accuracy, that's JSB Express RS in a different tin, at 7.33 grain they go up to 858fps for 11.98 so I set them in the 840fps region, extremely good groups and very flat trajectory, and weirdly despite being so light work well right out to 100yds

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I bet that the REG is either knackered or it has been messed with and not put back together properly.

A.G
    yes,dead easy to sort out as-well, how do you fill the gun,? bottle / pump.... you can use the bottle/pump gauge (with adaptors to get it to fit) to check the pressure,
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Thanks again for the input.

I'm just trying to get the time to take it apart now. I've got the regulator/firing valve block sat on my workbench waiting for me.
    The rifle is a .177 carbine, i believe the regulator pressure i should be aiming for is around 90-95 bar?

90 bar as per your gauge where the yellow starts

Ok, an update:

I've stripped the regulator, it was bottomed out, so i was seeing cylinder pressure on the chronograph, explaining the 8-12ft/lbs spread across the tank. Seemed in good condition, although i fear the belleville washers may be a little flat, as there didn't look like a lot of room left to squeeze them. Can't seem to find any replacements on thebay, anyone know what size they are, or where they can be sourced?

Cleaned and reassembled with a smear of oil across all the moving parts.
    Owing to it being bottomed out when i disassembled it, i put the regulator in a whole turn less on reassembly.

Rebuilt the rifle back up and fired a few shots, it's now between 8.97 - 9.01 ft/lbs. This was done with 8 shots at a cylinder pressure of 120 bar, and then another 6 with the cylinder at 200 bar. The regulator is clearly working perfectly as the power was completely unaffected by the increase in cylinder pressure. I'm exceptionally pleased with the consistency there, this is what i was hoping for, a very minimal variation between shots.
    Another thing i noticed, as i had the stock off while i was firing it, i could hear the regulator filling back up after each shot, a small short hiss just after the shot, anyone else ever noticed this? I've had the stock off many times before while working on it, but never heard this.

All thats left is to get the power up to 11.5.
    I have a regulator tester that the postman tried to deliver today, gotta pick that up from the depot tomorrow and see what it's actually set at. I'm hoping that it'll be lower than 90 so i can bring it up to 90-95 and everything will be sweet.
    I am concerned that the regulator is bang on now, and i need to get the hammer hitting harder. I don't know how much adjustment i've got in the hammer, all i know is it's pretty close to as hard as i can set it and still close the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrc29 View Post
    Ok, an update:

I've stripped the regulator, it was bottomed out, so i was seeing cylinder pressure on the chronograph, explaining the 8-12ft/lbs spread across the tank. Seemed in good condition, although i fear the belleville washers may be a little flat, as there didn't look like a lot of room left to squeeze them. Can't seem to find any replacements on thebay, anyone know what size they are, or where they can be sourced?

Cleaned and reassembled with a smear of oil across all the moving parts.
    Owing to it being bottomed out when i disassembled it, i put the regulator in a whole turn less on reassembly.

Rebuilt the rifle back up and fired a few shots, it's now between 8.97 - 9.01 ft/lbs. This was done with 8 shots at a cylinder pressure of 120 bar, and then another 6 with the cylinder at 200 bar. The regulator is clearly working perfectly as the power was completely unaffected by the increase in cylinder pressure. I'm exceptionally pleased with the consistency there, this is what i was hoping for, a very minimal variation between shots.
    Another thing i noticed, as i had the stock off while i was firing it, i could hear the regulator filling back up after each shot, a small short hiss just after the shot, anyone else ever noticed this? I've had the stock off many times before while working on it, but never heard this.

All thats left is to get the power up to 11.5.
    I have a regulator tester that the postman tried to deliver today, gotta pick that up from the depot tomorrow and see what it's actually set at. I'm hoping that it'll be lower than 90 so i can bring it up to 90-95 and everything will be sweet.
    I am concerned that the regulator is bang on now, and i need to get the hammer hitting harder. I don't know how much adjustment i've got in the hammer, all i know is it's pretty close to as hard as i can set it and still close the bolt.
    They are there. Search for item no 122290350077 from airregulators which I believe is Robert lane's site. Some say that using the FAC washers will give better consistency but I have not tried that myself. There is also very good article about dismantling the gun and putting it back properly on Weirauch Owner's Forum.

A.G