Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW100 hell, help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    They are there. Search for item no 122290350077 from airregulators which I believe is Robert lane's site. Some say that using the FAC washers will give better consistency but I have not tried that myself. There is also very good article about dismantling the gun and putting it back properly on Weirauch Owner's Forum.

A.G
    well worth joining the Weirauch if you have a HW, shows a strip down step by step ect.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrc29 View Post
    Ok, an update:

I've stripped the regulator, it was bottomed out, so i was seeing cylinder pressure on the chronograph, explaining the 8-12ft/lbs spread across the tank. Seemed in good condition, although i fear the belleville washers may be a little flat, as there didn't look like a lot of room left to squeeze them. Can't seem to find any replacements on thebay, anyone know what size they are, or where they can be sourced?

Cleaned and reassembled with a smear of oil across all the moving parts.
    Owing to it being bottomed out when i disassembled it, i put the regulator in a whole turn less on reassembly.

Rebuilt the rifle back up and fired a few shots, it's now between 8.97 - 9.01 ft/lbs. This was done with 8 shots at a cylinder pressure of 120 bar, and then another 6 with the cylinder at 200 bar. The regulator is clearly working perfectly as the power was completely unaffected by the increase in cylinder pressure. I'm exceptionally pleased with the consistency there, this is what i was hoping for, a very minimal variation between shots.
    Another thing i noticed, as i had the stock off while i was firing it, i could hear the regulator filling back up after each shot, a small short hiss just after the shot, anyone else ever noticed this? I've had the stock off many times before while working on it, but never heard this.

All thats left is to get the power up to 11.5.
    I have a regulator tester that the postman tried to deliver today, gotta pick that up from the depot tomorrow and see what it's actually set at. I'm hoping that it'll be lower than 90 so i can bring it up to 90-95 and everything will be sweet.
    I am concerned that the regulator is bang on now, and i need to get the hammer hitting harder. I don't know how much adjustment i've got in the hammer, all i know is it's pretty close to as hard as i can set it and still close the bolt.
    Chum ,
    have a word with Vinny .....Knockedover . He's a top fella and only just along the road from you in Pompey .

He''ll get you sorted

Ok, an update:

I've stripped the regulator, it was bottomed out, so i was seeing cylinder pressure on the chronograph, explaining the 8-12ft/lbs spread across the tank. Seemed in good condition, although i fear the belleville washers may be a little flat, as there didn't look like a lot of room left to squeeze them. Can't seem to find any replacements on thebay, anyone know what size they are, or where they can be sourced?

Cleaned and reassembled with a smear of oil across all the moving parts.
    Owing to it being bottomed out when i disassembled it, i put the regulator in a whole turn less on reassembly.

Rebuilt the rifle back up and fired a few shots, it's now between 8.97 - 9.01 ft/lbs. This was done with 8 shots at a cylinder pressure of 120 bar, and then another 6 with the cylinder at 200 bar. The regulator is clearly working perfectly as the power was completely unaffected by the increase in cylinder pressure. I'm exceptionally pleased with the consistency there, this is what i was hoping for, a very minimal variation between shots.
    Another thing i noticed, as i had the stock off while i was firing it, i could hear the regulator filling back up after each shot, a small short hiss just after the shot, anyone else ever noticed this? I've had the stock off many times before while working on it, but never heard this.
    All thats left is to get the power up to 11.5.
    I have a regulator tester that the postman tried to deliver today, gotta pick that up from the depot tomorrow and see what it's actually set at. I'm hoping that it'll be lower than 90 so i can bring it up to 90-95 and everything will be sweet.
    I am concerned that the regulator is bang on now, and i need to get the hammer hitting harder. I don't know how much adjustment i've got in the hammer, all i know is it's pretty close to as hard as i can set it and still close the bolt.
    That's normal to hear the reg filling, usually a wheeze sound, the reg has to fill slow or it will have an effect on the shot consistency as the air blasts in to refill the reg during the shot.

Belville washers are not particularly dished to start with, they are used because they give high spring rates for a small fitted size, a coil spring that rate will be a lot bigger, the adjustment is VERY sensitive, unscrewing the reg from 12 o'clock to 11 o'clock can have a big effect on ftlbs, so if you went out a full turn it's probably a little low, which is why I advised taking it down a quarter turn at a time until the power went up then started to drop.

I have worked with Belleville washers for 22 years. They are dished shape (convex-concave) to give the spring effect and depending how they are packed together can give tremendous spring pressure. We used them in various diameters to carry thousands of kilo loads that need shock absorbing properties. The HW washers I have measured were 1.00-1.02 mm deep, but I found some that were collapsed and more shallow needing replacement. Here is link.. well looks like you can't paste it because it is from the forbidden zone so will find item number later. Item number 122290350077.

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 08-01-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

You can also get the bellvills from T.W Chambers, item CS745 set of 16.
    Also from John Knibbs part No 2669k.

atb

Bri

Got regulator tester.
    It was running at 70 bar and giving me 9 ft/lbs
    Cranked it upto 90bar, and only getting around 10 ft/lbs.

To cut a long story short, the regulator seems to be working perfectly after the service, each of the powers i'm giving is an average from a 5 shot group that were very consistent each time.

My aftermarket hammer spring adjuster could be the next issue. As i explained earlier, as you tighten the screw to increase pressure on the hammer spring at some point the bolt closing lever no longer closes, something inside is bottoming out or touching. I've taken the bolt assembly apart again and can't find anything amiss, or where it's bottoming out. I've gotten the hammer spring adjuster as tight as i can get it before it bottoms and reassembled the action.

Rebuilt the gun and tested it, 10 ft/lbs.
    Increased the regulator pressure to 95 bar, 10.5 ft/lbs
    Increased the regulator to 100 bar, 10.95 ft/lbs (and really going through air)

So where to go now really, I'm happy there's no further issues in the air side of the action, this is all working perfectly. I'd quite like to reduce the regulator pressure back down to 90, as 95-100 feels too high and i'll be lucky to get 2 mags out of a fill.

The anti tamper shuttle i've removed, can this be replaced? Would a stronger/longer spring sort this?

I would suspect the hammer and spring. I only need a very slight adjustment on the hammer to make a considerable increase / decrease in power.
    That's with the reg set at 90 bar. If you increase the reg pressure, when it comes off the reg, the power will increase until the the pressure drops.
    You probably know all this by now but again look at the hammer and spring and check the firing valve isn't damaged / worn in some way.

Keep us all informed as this is a good source of info even if you are banging your head against the wall.
    Good Luck

Bri

I'm near to giving up with the thing.

Not enough air is being released to drive the pellet down the barrel. Whether this is due to the hammer not striking the valve hard enough to open it far enough, or the valve being knackered I don't know.

Knockedover is offline Strength.Determination.Merciless.Forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Chum ,
    have a word with Vinny .....Knockedover . He's a top fella and only just along the road from you in Pompey .

He''ll get you sorted
    Cheers Phil I've had PMs with Roger and are looking at getting it sorted in due course

All thanks to Knockedover, he's resurrected the gun! Just a good zeroing session left now :-)

All thanks to Knockedover, he's resurrected the gun! Just a good zeroing session left now :-)
    What was done to get it shooting right?

atb

Bri

Great news, so what turned out to be the cause of all the trouble?

Knockedover is offline Strength.Determination.Merciless.Forever.
    There were a few issues all in all. The first issue that was causing the biggest problem was a bent cocking linkage that was not allowing the pellet probe to go fully forward and seal on the breech seal so air was escaping at the breech. The cocking lever wouldn't fully close due to the bent lever and also the replacement rear hammer section that the groove was slightly shallower in that meant that the pin that locates in it was too long and was wedging as the lever was pushed forward. About half a mm off the pin solved that one. The breech seal was also missing, no doubt blown out by the probe not reaching. So a few bits each causing issue, a new linkage and breech seal and a bit of tweaking had it running perfectly in a matter of a couple of hours

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Knockedover View Post
    There were a few issues all in all. The first issue that was causing the biggest problem was a bent cocking linkage that was not allowing the pellet probe to go fully forward and seal on the breech seal so air was escaping at the breech. The cocking lever wouldn't fully close due to the bent lever and also the replacement rear hammer section that the groove was slightly shallower in that meant that the pin that locates in it was too long and was wedging as the lever was pushed forward. About half a mm off the pin solved that one. The breech seal was also missing, no doubt blown out by the probe not reaching. So a few bits each causing issue, a new linkage and breech seal and a bit of tweaking had it running perfectly in a matter of a couple of hours
    Well done that man, Guess the clues were there in the first post bar the telling of forcing the lever shut at some time,ect. but that is easy for us to say in hind-sight,, so again well done Knockedover.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Respect