Pyrodex has the following properties that need to be taken into account -

There are a number of different grades for different uses -

P [standing for PISTOL] is very fine, the equivalent of 3Fg, and is used for ALL handguns and small calibre BP rifles in good condition up to ca.45calibre.

RS [standing for RIFLE and SHOTGUN] is about the same a 2Fg, and is used for heavier charges in rifles and shotguns.

CTG [standing for CARTRIDGE] is specially formulated for use in BP cartridge firearms of any calibre up to and including .45-70/90/110/120. I HAVE seen it used in .577-450 Enfield, but with great lack of success.

Pyrodex is MORE energetic than an equal WEIGHT of BP, IOW, a 70gr BP of 2Fg load in a .45-70 Govt cartridge can be replaced by a lesser amount of Pyrodex AND a space-filling wadding. It does not mind a small amount of compression. but there must be NO air-space whatsoever between the base of the bullet and the charge. Using a volumetric measure, you'll find at least 5% difference

Pyrodex 'Select' grade may be used to replace 2Fg - it is said to be more consistent in performance.

Triple 7.

Is more flagrant than Pyrodex P or Select - loads should be reduced at least 10% from an equal WEIGHT of BP of the same grade. Triple 7 does NOT like being compressed more than putting the bullet on top of it - Hodgdons' words, not mine

There are a couple more, like Clean-Shot, but I know nothing about them.

BTW, NONE of the subs work well in a flintlock action, especially in the powder pan. This is because Pyrodex has a far higher flash initiation point than any grade of BP by a country mile - sparks from the frizzen just refuse to light this stuff up. Triple 7 is needs even hotter ignition, about 777F, hence the name.

ALL of the subs, regardless of what you may have been told - are HIGHLY corrosive if left in guns. Clean up on the range is good, and then again as soon as you get home.

The benefits in a country where you need a license to buy real BP is that you don't need a license to buy any of the subs, as Tim noted above. Plus you get more shots per pound, too

Last thing - because they are more energetic than BP, they feel a lot different to shoot. More like nitro than Black.

tac