Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black powder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Black powder

Can anyone tell what difference black powder has from pyrodex

Black powder is an explosive for which you need a licence and approved storage. Pyrodex is a substitute for which you don't need a licence or special approved storage. It works just the same and is used by volume the same as b/p. I've used it but to be honest I don't know anyone with a b/p licence who uses it. Tim

Pyrodex doesn't work with flint, can give a delay on a percussion shotgun and has a funny smell.

I think it is good for cap'n'ball pistols but I don't shoot those

As said it is a propellant not an explosive so no certificate required.

Pyrodex

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Pyrodex doesn't work with flint, can give a delay on a percussion shotgun and has a funny smell.

I think it is good for cap'n'ball pistols but I don't shoot those

As said it is a propellant not an explosive so no certificate required.
    Pyrodex is fine in Percussion Smoothbores I have used in 20g. .600 approx. Instant ignition.
    Can't be used in Flintlock's.
    Cleaner burning and easier to clean after use.

The pressure spike is different between black powder and pyrodex, hence feeling different when fired as noted by tac

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Black powder is an explosive for which you need a licence and approved storage. Pyrodex is a substitute for which you don't need a licence or special approved storage. It works just the same and is used by volume the same as b/p. I've used it but to be honest I don't know anyone with a b/p licence who uses it. Tim
    You still need the approved storage box for Pyrodex and other smokeless powders!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    You still need the approved storage box for Pyrodex and other smokeless powders!
    Common sense says yes - depending on who you talk to says its the law, but unless somebody can point me at it, I can't find it.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Common sense says yes - depending on who you talk to says its the law, but unless somebody can point me at it, I can't find it.

tac

Directly from the HSE, page 100. "Explosive Regulations 2014"

Shooters’ powder
    2 Shooters’ powder includes both black powder and smokeless powder.
    3 The powder should be kept in containers with no more than 1 kg of powder
    per container. The containers should be constructed in such a way that, in the
    event of a fire they do not provide additional containment that will either increase
    the explosive force of any deflagration or cause smokeless powder to detonate.
    Normally plastic/polythene or paper/cloth containers should be used. Metal
    containers with a screw cap or a push-in lid must not be used.
    4 Although shooters’ powders are generally not very sensitive to ignition by
    electrostatic discharge, homeloaders or others who decant the contents of plastic
    containers should take care to reduce the risk of static electricity build-up. Advice
    on precautions may be sought from the manufacturer.
    5 The containers of powder should be kept in a box constructed of plywood
    with a minimum thickness of 18 mm and a maximum thickness of 24 mm
    6 Where the box holds more than one container, each individual container
    should be separated by a 6 mm wooden partition that is securely fixed to the outer
    walls of the box. Each compartment should allow 30% additional height between
    the top of the container and the inside of the lid.
    7 There should be a good seal to prevent a flame path between the lid of the
    box and the interior. An intumescent strip should be fitted around the edges of the
    lid to give a good seal or alternatively, a stepped lid or internal second lid should be
    fitted.
    8 The box should be constructed so that there is no exposed metal on the
    inside. Internal nuts should be covered by a glued wooden liner not less than
    6 mm.
    9 Figure 1 shows a box that would meet the requirements set out in the previous
    paragraphs.
    I rest my case.

Only thing being whether these "regulations" are actually enforceable as there seems to be a lot of "Should" and not many "Must".
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

777 £48.95lb
    Pyrodex £36.85lb
    BP(Kranks) £18 500gm

Even Swiss finest quality is only £33 for 500gm.

Simple init?

Oh and the plastic stuff stinks!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I stand corrected

Directly from the HSE, page 100. "Explosive Regulations 2014"

I rest my case.

Only thing being whether these "regulations" are actually enforceable as there seems to be a lot of "Should" and not many "Must".
    No mention of storage of Pyrodex when bought or even when the FO came to inspect my box.I only use BP now either Swiss or Kirklees special mix.
    No question asked when I bought Pyrodex and what for from the Gunshops owner ???
    I had a box from day one when I had a ML. But the Pyrodex was on the shelves not in a container of any sort unless the 25 tubs he had were all empty?? Maybe a bit of education is needed 😎

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

tac
    Exactly, my powders are locked away but have never seen a law saying they must be stored in an "approved box" as per my b/p. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Exactly, my powders are locked away but have never seen a law saying they must be stored in an "approved box" as per my b/p. Tim
    See post#10

Wrong

No you dont

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    Wrong No you dont
    Err......what part of the "Explosive Regulations 2014", page 100, do you not understand?????? Or do you have some special exemption?

I would say, to anyone who has any doubt as to whether they need to rethink how they store Shooters Powders, download, read & inwardly digest, the HSE Explosive Regulations 2014. (or just read my post #10)

When I got my FAC 5 years ago there was no mention of a box to store smokeless powders, black powder yes, pyrodex no, because smokeless and pyrodex are NOT explosives, they are propellants, well that's what my firearms officer told me and everyone else I know who shoots black and reloads smokeless
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php