Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    You still need the approved storage box for Pyrodex and other smokeless powders!
    Have a look at thread 17. This has been discussed previously.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....uestions/page2

Look at paragraph 27 of the 2014 explosives act. Putting any BP subistitute or smokeless powder in a box is advisory.

Atb

Ah, 'adviso/ary'. We have not yet reached the point where 'Alles, was nicht verboten ist, ist obligatorisch' [everything that is not forbidden is compulsory], but it sounds like a good idea anyhow.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ah, 'adviso/ary'. We have not yet reached the point where 'Alles, was nicht verboten ist, ist obligatorisch' [everything that is not forbidden is compulsory], but it sounds like a good idea anyhow.

tac
    My view is that if the rule book/law doesn't say you can't do it then you can. I know too many people who think that if the rule book/law doesn't say you can do it then you can't! I am told that the former is enshrined in the magna carta.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Black powder is an explosive for which you need a licence and approved storage. Pyrodex is a substitute for which you don't need a licence or special approved storage. It works just the same and is used by volume the same as b/p. I've used it but to be honest I don't know anyone with a b/p licence who uses it. Tim
    That's the thing, with Pyrodex, you don't need a b/p licence to use it!

Any supplier of Pyrodex should still satisfy themselves that you hold a valid SGC or FAC before selling to you. same-same as Primers & percussion caps.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

b/p

I found 777 to far surpass pyrodex,
    but I still like the old BLACK for rifles and swiss for pistols,
    it is easy to get a ticket and well worth it,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    I found 777 to far surpass pyrodex,
    but I still like the old BLACK for rifles and swiss for pistols,
    it is easy to get a ticket and well worth it,
    T
    That's as it should be. Triple 7 is what inventor Dan Pawluk intended Pyrodex to be, but he got hisself blode up 'afore he could complete his development.

tac

Pyrodex has the following properties that need to be taken into account -

There are a number of different grades for different uses -

P [standing for PISTOL] is very fine, the equivalent of 3Fg, and is used for ALL handguns and small calibre BP rifles in good condition up to ca.45calibre.

RS [standing for RIFLE and SHOTGUN] is about the same a 2Fg, and is used for heavier charges in rifles and shotguns.

CTG [standing for CARTRIDGE] is specially formulated for use in BP cartridge firearms of any calibre up to and including .45-70/90/110/120. I HAVE seen it used in .577-450 Enfield, but with great lack of success.

Pyrodex is MORE energetic than an equal WEIGHT of BP, IOW, a 70gr BP of 2Fg load in a .45-70 Govt cartridge can be replaced by a lesser amount of Pyrodex AND a space-filling wadding. It does not mind a small amount of compression. but there must be NO air-space whatsoever between the base of the bullet and the charge. Using a volumetric measure, you'll find at least 5% difference

Pyrodex 'Select' grade may be used to replace 2Fg - it is said to be more consistent in performance.

Triple 7.

Is more flagrant than Pyrodex P or Select - loads should be reduced at least 10% from an equal WEIGHT of BP of the same grade. Triple 7 does NOT like being compressed more than putting the bullet on top of it - Hodgdons' words, not mine

There are a couple more, like Clean-Shot, but I know nothing about them.

BTW, NONE of the subs work well in a flintlock action, especially in the powder pan. This is because Pyrodex has a far higher flash initiation point than any grade of BP by a country mile - sparks from the frizzen just refuse to light this stuff up. Triple 7 is needs even hotter ignition, about 777F, hence the name.

ALL of the subs, regardless of what you may have been told - are HIGHLY corrosive if left in guns. Clean up on the range is good, and then again as soon as you get home.

The benefits in a country where you need a license to buy real BP is that you don't need a license to buy any of the subs, as Tim noted above. Plus you get more shots per pound, too

Last thing - because they are more energetic than BP, they feel a lot different to shoot. More like nitro than Black.

tac