Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black powder

Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    You still need the approved storage box for Pyrodex and other smokeless powders!
    No you dont

Pyrodex

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Pyrodex doesn't work with flint, can give a delay on a percussion shotgun and has a funny smell.

I think it is good for cap'n'ball pistols but I don't shoot those

As said it is a propellant not an explosive so no certificate required.
    Pyrodex is fine in Percussion Smoothbores I have used in 20g. .600 approx. Instant ignition.
    Can't be used in Flintlock's.
    Cleaner burning and easier to clean after use.

The pressure spike is different between black powder and pyrodex, hence feeling different when fired as noted by tac

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    You still need the approved storage box for Pyrodex and other smokeless powders!
    Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    Wrong No you dont
    Err......what part of the "Explosive Regulations 2014", page 100, do you not understand?????? Or do you have some special exemption?

I would say, to anyone who has any doubt as to whether they need to rethink how they store Shooters Powders, download, read & inwardly digest, the HSE Explosive Regulations 2014. (or just read my post #10)
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

When I got my FAC 5 years ago there was no mention of a box to store smokeless powders, black powder yes, pyrodex no, because smokeless and pyrodex are NOT explosives, they are propellants, well that's what my firearms officer told me and everyone else I know who shoots black and reloads smokeless
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Err what part of 2014, do you not understand? This was a sly upgrade of the 2005 Regulations. Read page 100!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    That's fine IF you live around a spit and fart from Kranks. Many of us, including YOU, Sir, do not, and the drive to Yorkshire to collect the stuff wipes out the difference for sure, with the cost of fuel on these isles. Whinemeal, I can get Pyrodex after a fifteen minute drive, or ask a pal [yes, I still have one or two] to get it for me.

Buying even the cheap stuff from Kranks STILL entails a £25 HAZMAT supplement - add that to your eighteen quid Krank's powder and that's more than the Pyrodex, right?

tac
    You're quite correct in that I don't live anywhere near Kranks. However, my shooting club is not half a mile from Keens in Aberkenfig where they stock Kranks BP for around £18 a pot and Swiss for around £65 a kilo and various other powders at fairly normal prices. They pay the supplement and add a quid per pot. I also have a local RFD who does a bi annual trip to Kranks to stock up and sell it on to us locals at Kranks prices. I'm sure plenty of other shooters are in a similar situation. I also make the BP storage boxes for forty five quid a go which are fully compliant with the HO GUIDANCE, so using BP does not have to be a problem.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

If you can get to Warwick, try Peter Starley. Have a look at the link below.

http://www.black-powder.co.uk/bp.htm

When I got my FAC 5 years ago there was no mention of a box to store smokeless powders, black powder yes, pyrodex no, because smokeless and pyrodex are NOT explosives, they are propellants, well that's what my firearms officer told me and everyone else I know who shoots black and reloads smokeless
    Same here,

Err......what part of the "Explosive Regulations 2014", page 100, do you not understand?????? Or do you have some special exemption?

I would say, to anyone who has any doubt as to whether they need to rethink how they store Shooters Powders, download, read & inwardly digest, the HSE Explosive Regulations 2014. (or just read my post #10)
    hope all the reloaders out there know this
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    You're quite correct in that I don't live anywhere near Kranks. However, my shooting club is not half a mile from Keens in Aberkenfig where they stock Kranks BP for around £18 a pot and Swiss for around £65 a kilo and various other powders at fairly normal prices. They pay the supplement and add a quid per pot. I also have a local RFD who does a bi annual trip to Kranks to stock up and sell it on to us locals at Kranks prices. I'm sure plenty of other shooters are in a similar situation. I also make the BP storage boxes for forty five quid a go which are fully compliant with the HO GUIDANCE, so using BP does not have to be a problem.
    How big, ie., how many compartments, does your box have?

tac

Quote from post #7 -

'BTW, NONE of the subs work well in a flintlock action, especially in the powder pan. This is because Pyrodex has a far higher flash initiation point than any grade of BP by a country mile - sparks from the frizzen just refuse to light this stuff up. Triple 7 is needs even hotter ignition, about 777F, hence the name.'

Pyrodex was never intended to replace BP in flintlock use. The late Mr Pawluk was a very clever chemist, and was insistent that his invention was aimed at the ever-growing percussion shooter market. Given his expertise in the field of propellant manufacturing it is unlikely that the fact that Pyrodex performs as well as self-raising flour in a flintlock was an oversight on his part.

Sure, you CAN shoot it in a flintlock, but only by priming the pan with BP and first putting a small initiating charge of BP down the breech, making a so-called duplex load. Over in the Americas, where most folks are willing to try just about anything once, that's about as many times as folks do it. Even Pyrodex pellets, intended for in-lines, have a small centrally located initiating charge of compressed BP to get them going.

In any case, most flintlock shooters of my acquaintance would rather have boiling mercury poured into their stapled-open eyes than admit to knowing anything about Pyrodex except in passing.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 08-01-2017 at 04:46 PM.

How big, ie., how many compartments, does your box have?

tac
    4. They're a foot cube which means I can get 5 boxes per 4x8 sheet of 18mm marine or interior grade ply which is rather expensive.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    4. They're a foot cube which means I can get 5 boxes per 4x8 sheet of 18mm marine or interior grade ply which is rather expensive.
    Thanks - so that's four containers of powder, right?

Or wrong?

tac

Thanks - so that's four containers of powder, right?

Or wrong?

tac
    Or maybe 9?? (if 84mm x 84mm)

The guidance states that only one pound containers(max) may be stored in each compartment, therefor four one pound pots. Swiss 1kg pots should be decanted into two smaller ones in order to comply. Each compartment has to have a thirty percent space above each pot so the size is important.

I've just read a newer version of the guidance and it would appear that you may now be able to store 1kg pots in each compartment, but trials continue to improve the box design!
    Last edited by DesG; 08-01-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi