Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disposal of unwanted Scottish airguns?

Disposal of unwanted Scottish airguns?

What happens to those surrendered airguns in Scotland?
    Please don't tell me they just get chopped up
    They could be sold to aution houses/rfds in Scotland or
    south of the border.The money recouped could be used to
    fund the licensing system rather than pay to chop up the
    gun with no return.
    I may have over simplified the idea but I know the Scots
    like to hang onto their money and I am sure some classics
    will be lost forever if gone for the chop.
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

The owners are able to sell them or hand them in for disposal/destruction it's up to them.

Guns handed into the police will be destroyed.

Stupid law

A stupid law that will take hundreds of people out of the sport and you can bey your bottom dollar that any rifles handed to the police will cut up and melted down a great shame.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The owners are able to sell them or hand them in for disposal/destruction it's up to them.
    Correct. They can give or sell them to any AWC/FAC/SGC holder or approved club, or someone outside Scotland.

I have been given 4 unwanted guns in the past couple of weeks - unfortunately they are all crap

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    ... you can bey your bottom dollar that any rifles handed to the police will cut up and melted down a great shame.
    That is exactly what is supposed to happen unfortunately, based on what is alleged to have happened when pistols were handed in after Dunblane, a lot of us up here suspect that some won't be melted down, but will, shall we say, find their way into the private sector.

Alan
    Last edited by Archer50; 07-01-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    Correct. And they are able to give them to any AWC/FAC/SGC holder or approved club.

I have been given 4 unwanted guns in the past couple of weeks - unfortunately they are all crap

Alan
    Same up here.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Guns handed into the police will be destroyed.
    What a waste.

Another idea would be for say BASC/gun clubs to purchase 'junior' airgun to get
    young shots interested in shooting responsibly and hopefully avoid those
    distressing headlines that the BBC and antis just love.
    I know,its an 'ideal world' way of thinking but its an oppotunity missed.
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

Airgun sales

There was a news story of 2 police officers selling rifles that had been surrendered. Officers in question weren't even suspended.

I've been given a couple of refugees myself.

Firstly say thanks to the SNP for shafting you. Personally I would say this law isn't going to work. Simply too many airguns out there without a hope of policing it. If everyone came forward it would plug up the courts for about 10 years.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by petethemap View Post
    There was a news story of 2 police officers selling rifles that had been surrendered. Officers in question weren't even suspended.
    I'd also heard that

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Was that not an old story?

any airguns that were vintage were to be given to displays or museums. Alex at sacs confirmed this to me.

the two officers selling handed in airguns was recently . https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...isle-of-arran/

and most that were handed in were low end worthless airguns.

every party in the Scottish government approved the scheme. the SNP were the ones in power at the time. it was a vote grabber. nothing to say the other parties would have dropped it. there was a lot of MSPs written to and they agreed the laws needed changed and supported the scheme.

Idiotic law, but thats the politicians people are voting for in Scotland; not saying we do much better here though.

Police will scrap everything handed in. Good or bad, all cut in half then disposed of into scrap and landfill. Will probably have to pay someone to do it to. Police officers caught selling on guns will get punished, another cost.

Most handed in are pretty rough, the odd very nice or even rare item will go the same way. I doubt the Royal Armoury's Museum will get a look in.

I'll park up any nice gun anyone doesn't want; have RFD friend in Creif to drop off to; has to be nice though Just send me a line. Heck if very nice will pay postage to me....what a nice person I am

A lot of people just wont want the cost of the license as its not cheap, a lot wont even realise that a license is required. All very silly, done by those who think Trainspotter is a documentary; Trainspotter 2 coming out this year. Think they will be banning Y fronts next as they are offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Idiotic law, but thats the politicians people are voting for in Scotland; not saying we do much better here though.

Police will scrap everything handed in. Good or bad, all cut in half then disposed of into scrap and landfill. Will probably have to pay someone to do it to. Police officers caught selling on guns will get punished, another cost.

Most handed in are pretty rough, the odd very nice or even rare item will go the same way. I doubt the Royal Armoury's Museum will get a look in.

I'll park up any nice gun anyone doesn't want; have RFD friend in Creif to drop off to; has to be nice though Just send me a line. Heck if very nice will pay postage to me....what a nice person I am

A lot of people just wont want the cost of the license as its not cheap, a lot wont even realise that a license is required. All very silly, done by those who think Trainspotter is a documentary; Trainspotter 2 coming out this year. Think they will be banning Y fronts next as they are offensive.
    SACS was assured that any vintage and collectable airguns would be given to armoury museums .

I have sent my application away with the £5 fee. Luckily I have firearms and shotgun license otherwise it would be £75. On the application there is no bit where you say what you have. I don't know if the feo will come round and ask for a list of make,model and serial number or whether they are rushing the licensing through to get it started and then ask for details at the first renewal when they hopefully have caught up with all the paperwork.

Nick.

Edit - just read other thread and it confirms that no make,model and serial number will be required. I have been offered half a dozen unwanted airguns free to a good home so I will probably take them.
    Last edited by thenightstalker; 07-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.