Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disposal of unwanted Scottish airguns?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post

The constant onslaught against shooting sports from one direction or another, over the past 30-odd years, makes me feel sick to be honest.
    Agree, Phil.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    Wait till you see pictures of a politician standing next to a stern faced uniformed policeman and a huge pile of handed in sub-12 air rifles awaiting destruction. The caption under the picture will contain the phrase "Off the streets".

I'm the meantime real drug dealers still seem to have real automatic pistols..
    This is exactly what will happen.

Plus people who have not noticed the licence requirement will be recorded as "gun crime", so "gun crime" will rise, so further restrictions will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    SACS was assured that any vintage and collectable airguns would be given to armoury museums .
    Would need to be very special indeed; don't think a Venom nor FWB75 would make the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Cutting the average spring rifle in half would leave barrels intact wouldn't it - or do you mean lengthwise?
    I wouldn't put it past them. So long as it fits in the skip. Someone will pile them high and burn off the wood stocks and scrap the rest in a crusher.

It would be great if all the Scots could have their unwanted guns collected and an auction held in England or Wales and all proceeds went to charity. Would be a great gesture and save many guns. I feel quite passionate about not destroying guns. Many of us go to great lengths to keep airguns alive rather than scrapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Would need to be very special indeed; don't think a Venom nor FWB75 would make the grade.
    wholly depends on who is checking them in at the main collection point.

as maybe what happened to vintage handguns or semi autos in amnesties before.

Scottish guns

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    It would be great if all the Scots could have their unwanted guns collected and an auction held in England or Wales and all proceeds went to charity. Would be a great gesture and save many guns. I feel quite passionate about not destroying guns. Many of us go to great lengths to keep airguns alive rather than scrapping.
    As the man says/\ /\ /\
    Although I once took part in a charity shoot which raised
    a good sum for the said charity.
    The charity was happy with the money and we could
    have publicity photos but were not allowed to show any guns!
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

Who in the police station will decide what is a vintage or a collectable gun? Do they have antique experts appraising all the hand-ins? And one collectors trash is another collectors treasure...little differences like calibre, number of pins, engraving, provenance, paperwork, condition can make vast differences. Some of the rarest collectable airguns look like tinplate toys. I wonder who will be assessing all this for the police. I don't believe that any guns will be saved. They will all be scrapped except for a few that quietly disappear...

Would the Police be breaking the law if they gave amnestied guns to a scrap merchant who was not also an RFD?

And doesn't the law now oblige said scrap merchant to have each destruction certified as a deactivation by the London or Birmingham Proof House?

Just thinking aloud.

Anyone know if we are allowed to take airguns to Scotland if we're visiting friends on our holidays, or would we need a certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Anyone know if we are allowed to take airguns to Scotland if we're visiting friends on our holidays, or would we need a certificate?
    You need a visitor's permit unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Would the Police be breaking the law if they gave amnestied guns to a scrap merchant who was not also an RFD?

And doesn't the law now oblige said scrap merchant to have each destruction certified as a deactivation by the London or Birmingham Proof House?

Just thinking aloud.
    auction houses require an RFD license I think ,so a smelter could apply for one I guess or a police official might have one and be there until they are all in the cauldron for smelting.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    I hope the bbs members that voted for these numpties are proud of themselves....
    Gun control means using both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    I hope the bbs members that voted for these numpties are proud of themselves....
    I agree but I dare say being independent (although under control from Brussels ) is more important

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    Sigh. All the political parties in Scotland supported it. Yes it was the SNP who enacted it but do you honestly think any other party wouldn't have done the same if they'd been in power? It was going to happen regardless.
    Don't just do something - SIT THERE!