Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Disposal of unwanted Scottish airguns?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    but perhaps your understanding is not so perfect ?
    Hello, and welcome to the discussion- and your personal contribution(?). I understand the fact that the Conservative Government passed the 1997 Handgun Ban (except for .22). It seems crystal clear to me. No misunderstanding there Perhaps Blair did it and Hansard is entirely wrong, along with every other verifiable source on this. It seems simple enough to understand.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the discussion- and your personal contribution(?). I understand the fact that the Conservative Government passed the 1997 Handgun Ban (except for .22). It seems crystal clear to me. No misunderstanding there Perhaps Blair did it and Hansard is entirely wrong, along with every other verifiable source on this. It seems simple enough to understand.
    How often have I warned you about using facts?

Trainspotting was released in 1996. Trainspotting is a film about young people produced by the Scottish education system. The SNP believe it to be a documentary and bases many of their youth schemes around it.
    The Scottish economy, now that the price of oil is so low, is bolstered its export earning from Ewan McGregor and Andy Murray

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Unlike your good self, I can remember which Party banned handguns
    None of them?

No one banned handguns. There is no such statute on the books.

The Conservatives prohibited Centre-fire Short Firearms as a desperate bid after Tony Blair put Ann Pearson on the stand at the Labour Party Conference pre-election.

Labour then prohibited Rim-fire Short Firearms post-election.

A joint effort then.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    If I recall correctly there was no enthusiasm either from other parties or the Scottish Police Forces. The whole thing was driven by the press and Tommy Sheridan then taken up by populist buffoon Kenny McNoskill.
    Did the latter muppet (Kenny MacAskill) not write to May a while back demanding Scottish control over ALL firearm types, ie the devolution of the control from Westminster due to his ''concern'' over crime and the need to tighten things up....Sounds like the shotgunners / rifle crowd had a narrow escape (so far whilst the SNP hold sway).

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Did the latter muppet (Kenny MacAskill) not write to May a while back demanding Scottish control over ALL firearm types, ie the devolution of the control from Westminster due to his ''concern'' over crime and the need to tighten things up....Sounds like the shotgunners / rifle crowd had a narrow escape (so far whilst the SNP hold sway).

ATB, ED
    The sooner the Scottish people wake up the better. The SNP have an agenda to ruin Scotland in the name of independence. It will be the worst move ever made and will mark the end.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

I had a lovely time in Scotland over Christmas, horizontal sleet most of the time. Loved it.

Had long conversations with a young Scotsman, 20 year old, working. His view was Scotland was becoming a retirement home. Job opportunities for the young were not great and pay low. Not enough to buy a home that were all expensive. So many of his compatriots were considering working anywhere but Scotland to make their fortunes elsewhere. Proud to be Scottish but the economic reality was stark.
    His view on the Scottish referendum was that it had been made.
    The SNP's worth was only how it improved Scottish prospects and attracted real jobs. Anything else was flannel. He wasn't holding out much that the SNP would be much use as the majority was with those retired with their narrow self interest.
    EU was all about trade and jobs. Both sides had their attractions. No one knows which will be shown to be the better. Didn't think it would make any difference to Scotland's prospects either way.

Frankly, all I could give was my "best of luck".

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

ATB, ED
    Separately, the Home Office (and in Scotland, the Scottish Government) issue three broad categories of firearms licence covering higher risk activities

they must have done so unless I have misread the bit above regarding Scotland. and here

1 https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...-by-the-police 2 The Scottish Government issues licences to organisations based in Scotland, although it does so under the same legislation as England and Wales as firearms policy (with the exception of certain air weapons) is a reserved matter. 3 Figures for England & Wales only – annual average based on years 2013–2015. 4 Only the museum licence has a statutory duration

Just to clarify which parties brought in various firearms legislation:

1920 - Section 1 licensing - Conservatives
    1968 - Shotgun licensing and airgun limit - Labour
    1988 - Semi-auto CF ban (I consider Section 5 to be effectively a ban) - Conservatives
    1996 - CF pistol ban - Conservatives
    1997 - SB pistol ban - New Labour
    2016 - Scottish airgun licensing - SNP

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Nice concise list there Charlie, thanks !
    “An airgun or two”………