Thread: Struggling to like my BSA Stutzen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    This is how the scope on my Stutzen RB2 is mounted. I don't know who adapted this mount but I have a spare!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jez810h5ym...scope.jpg?dl=0
    Yep, Someone ground the rear part to make it reachback instead of a standard one piece!!

I recently bough a steel Apel reachback mount for one of my Airsporters or Mercury, Still haven't gotten round to fitting it yet so can't include a pic..

The Raised Maxi grip rails on the Stutzen, Superstar and certain other Beesas are actually a 14mm mount, I had two Lightnings and both came with the wrong mounts as they were standard and I couldn't adjust the windage enough (T'was fully 5" wide to the right with full left adjustment!!)

Found a pic of the Apel but not fitted to a gun!

I bought these mounts some years ago that were made in Ozzie land, They can be centred for windage but aren't reachback so don't really help much

I actually bought a reach back two piece Sportsmatch mount set a few weeks ago, Can't remember what I did with it, Looked through my pics and it doesn't seem to be on any of my guns

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Just a thought, and please correct me if I am on the wrong track, but how about a long eye relief scope. I bought a Burris Timberline on this site and was amazed at the length of eye relief. There must be scopes out there that will fit the bill

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Just a thought, and please correct me if I am on the wrong track, but how about a long eye relief scope. I bought a Burris Timberline on this site and was amazed at the length of eye relief. There must be scopes out there that will fit the bill
    That's a good point. Maybe a shotgun or even a pistol scope?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

thanks all.
    I did try a Burris for long eye relief, but still upset by how high the scope is compared to the comb.

Maybe i need to stick with the open sights on this one, if i can get hold of one!

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.

A Williams peep with a standard BSA foresight may be the best option Geoff. Look up the Williams on line as they have also been marketed as the Beeman aperture sight.

Kind regards,

John

Maybe a nice leather cheek riser would go nice with the Stutzen... I can see it now and like the thought... I wish I was having your problems!!!
    http://brassstacker.com/mauser/Mause...-Carriers.html
    Donald

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    To scope a Stutzen, buy a set of Sportsmatch 'reach forward' mounts, but use them the other way round so in essence, they become 'reach back' mounts. You will also need to turn both clamping plates through 180 degrees as well. Same works / is my recommended application for scoping all in the Aisporter range with full length scope grooves (so this excludes the Mk.I & Mk.II), and fwiw, all in the BSA Mercury range, too. Hope this helps.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Cool

Give up on the whole dreadful business and sell it to me

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

To scope a Stutzen, buy a set of Sportsmatch 'reach forward' mounts, but use them the other way round so in essence, they become 'reach back' mounts. You will also need to turn both clamping plates through 180 degrees as well. Same works / is my recommended application for scoping all in the Aisporter range with full length scope grooves (so this excludes the Mk.I & Mk.II), and fwiw, all in the BSA Mercury range, too. Hope this helps.
    Oops! I see my learned friend Blackrider has already suggested similar ... I'll get me coat.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    thanks all.
    I did try a Burris for long eye relief, but still upset by how high the scope is compared to the comb.

Maybe i need to stick with the open sights on this one, if i can get hold of one!

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    A Williams peep with a standard BSA foresight may be the best option Geoff. Look up the Williams on line as they have also been marketed as the Beeman aperture sight.

Kind regards,

John
    Leupolds have longer than standard eye relief. A nice gloss M8 4x28 or 32 would suit a Stutzen.

And if you go for the Williams, find an older one with click adjustments. The current ones all involve a lot of fiddling with screws.