Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now there's a surprise!

Now there's a surprise!

Hi,

did a bit of shooting with my FN19 HFT rifle to check which pellet groups best today. Tried the usual suspects - JSB Exact, JSB RS, H&N FTT, superfield, Falcon etc and got OK groups with JSB exacts - about 20mm at 30m.

Then just for the heck of it tried superdomes - one hole groups at 30m and then pushed out to 45m and got 15mm 5 shot groups. All shot rested on a bag on a sturdy table.

I was not expecting superdomes to be any good at all - my other rifles throw them all over the place much beyond 20m. I have, of course, just bought 1000 JSB exacts...

I still can not figure how this sort of thing happens - how can superdomes be crap in one rifle and so good in an other?

Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Hi,

did a bit of shooting with my FN19 HFT rifle to check which pellet groups best today. Tried the usual suspects - JSB Exact, JSB RS, H&N FTT, superfield, Falcon etc and got OK groups with JSB exacts - about 20mm at 30m.

Then just for the heck of it tried superdomes - one hole groups at 30m and then pushed out to 45m and got 15mm 5 shot groups. All shot rested on a bag on a sturdy table.

I was not expecting superdomes to be any good at all - my other rifles throw them all over the place much beyond 20m. I have, of course, just bought 1000 JSB exacts...

I still can not figure how this sort of thing happens - how can superdomes be crap in one rifle and so good in an other?

Frog
    because all the barrels are made on different machines with different levels of wear and tear on the mandrels, A HW77 barrel in .177 can be a different size (within manufacturers tolerance) than the barrel on another HW77, which is why you have to match up batches to your barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    because all the barrels are made on different machines with different levels of wear and tear on the mandrels, A HW77 barrel in .177 can be a different size (within manufacturers tolerance) than the barrel on another HW77, which is why you have to match up batches to your barrel.
    True enough - but .. I mean....Superdomes!!!

Frog

Please don't advertise how good superdomes are, they might become too popular & the price will go up. Same goes for Hobbys!

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Both my 77 and 95 love Superdomes
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

secretagentmole Guest
    Superfields seem to be the pellet of choice in my Gamo (relabelled BSA Ultra).....

Ive shot air rifles for many years and i have never been one for trying lots of pellets to find out which one works best. I sincerely wish i had more spare time, to do so. I will do soon enough with my favourite users.

Cheers

No surprise at all, Mr Frog.

'Domes (in .177 and .22) are excellent in many of my rifles.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Superdomes were THE pellet in the 90,s, no reason to think there shxt now

Agreed, excellent pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Hi,

Frog
    I once had a Titan MC020; a left-hand walnut version in .22. A great little gun I fondly remember.

Like you, I tried all manner of pellets, but when I found superdomes I need look no further.
    Brilliant pellets for the Falcon/Titan range.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Clearly my falcon likes them but my other .177 rifles produce a group that looks like it was fired by an unchoked shotgun when I use superdomes (not tried them in my 'new' 77 yet - that'll be interesting).

To Duggan:
    I'm sure you'll find it well worth finding the time to try lots of pellet types - the difference in performance, especially at longer range (25m+), can be very surprising - 4 inch groups vs sub-inch ones comparing worst to best is not that unusual at 30m. The most expensive pellets do not alway win - whilst my other .177 rifles all like JSBs in .22 I have a rifle that likes hobby and another that really likes, of all things, milbro caledonian. The other thing is that, for me at least, it's an enjoyable exercise - you have to shoot as well as possible to try to limit the variable to the pellet not your shooting - a good discipline really... Let us know what you find!

Any way I have revised my opinion of superdomes and, like a lot of you it seems, rate them a bit now

Cheers

Frog
    Last edited by Frog; 09-01-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Frog have you found Caledonian to produce higher energy readings than other pellets in the same rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Frog have you found Caledonian to produce higher energy readings than other pellets in the same rifle?
    Good Question - I'll check on a couple of my rifles. It would not surprise me in a springer as they are quite light - 13.3gr in .22 - lighter than a superdome and heavier than a hobby...

Will report back!

Frog

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Can be good in many air rifles especially older BSA's and Webley's !
    Always keep at tin of .22 handy !
    “An airgun or two”………