Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, advice on buying my first air pistol, please.

Hello, advice on buying my first air pistol, please.

I am looking to buy my first air pistol and am considering the new .177 SMK Artemis 700 pcp pistol as an entry level gun.

Expected use is fun plinking, pest control and building up to 10 metre targets.

Have been using pcp & springer rifles for some years starting off with CO2.

Being pcp the pistol seems a natural addition to my rifles.

Will be grateful for some advice and suggestions, many thanks,

Michael

terry is offline This is not the Terry you are looking for....

pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Midasi1 View Post
    I am looking to buy my first air pistol and am considering the new .177 SMK Artemis 700 pcp pistol as an entry level gun.

Michael
    get a decent pistol not a smk please load of junk hw 45 , falcon fn 8 , brocock grand prix both pcps please be wise

Michael
    I wouldn't

Hunting with a pistol is frowned upon as it's considered that pistols are not accuret enough (in reality it's the nut behing the butt that's not good enough) humane dispatch of a rat in a cage or a injured rabbit from a few inch away......yes, hunting/pest control..... No.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Reality

In reality I will not be hunting with the pistol but dispatching any rats caught in the traps or the odd mixxie rabbit.

Bad choice of my wording, sorry.

M.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have one of the previous model without the open sights and its really rather good. Very accurate, regulated and cheap. Whats not to like?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

im also thinking of purchasing the pp700 s-a but will await for some one selling a used one on here,

As a newbie on here & somebody who only recently bought his first air-pistol, I found the old Webley Tempest I bought, ideal for plinking.

Dave

Dis-appointed but not surprised

Bought the Artemis PCP as I am set up for PCP rifles and liked the pistol's specs.

It arrived just before Christmas and was well balanced, easy to fill and load, shot about 10 pellets.
    Noticed air cylinder gauge had dropped by about a half, so re-filled and left it overnight. Next morning, clear there was a slow air leak !

Contacted supplier to reject and return the pistol - now have to wait whilst they collect and replace with an alternative pistol.

I have paid the extra and gone for the Wiehrauch HW75, being a fan of their rifles.

This has very good reviews, but is a different beastie and probably no bad thing too.

So, please watch this space and I will let you know how things progress.

M.

The HW75 is a fine pistol but probably not great for despatch, it is only about 2-3 FPE.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

And they can be leaky. Often cured by drops of Pelgunoil in the right places, but a slow quiet 'hiss' from a quality SSP is a bit disappointing if/when it happens.

Problem Pistols

Many thanks for the help - dropping any idea of pest dispatching.

Back to working up to 10 mtre targets and plinking.

It seems that (and very little different to my rifles) any make/model/price air pistol you can buy has its inherent problems which will need sorting at some time or other !

Any advice please as to what parts of the HW75 the Pelgun Oil should be applied ?

M.

Ps A very happy 2017 to one and all.

What you are trying to do with a HW75 or FAS 6004 is keep that main piston seal (O ring) lubed. Or the darn thing will just wear and leak.
    A few drops every tin of pellets is quite sufficient.
    The lube type is very important. You must not use anything silicone based as silicone galls very badly on Aluminium pistons and will even eat into Aluminium with or without movement of the cylinder. Similarly dont go anywhere near wiping the gun down with the wretched stuff niether.
    Pellgun suggested here Is fine being an engine oil based product with no nasties that could attack your O rings.
    Also this lube which you simply apply into the tiny air hole in the main cylinder , will mist around the rest of the valve O rings as you use the gun with great benefit. Pellgun has been tried and tested for years with O rings. Use it!!
    As a cheaper alternative you could use Bisley gun oil. Again engine oil based with no detergents or additives which is also fine with leather seals.

The HW75 is an infinately better choice than the 700, being massively more tested and reliable, as would a 45 , Walther lp53 or any old Webley variant.
    These 700 monstosities coming with all sorts of issues and requiring of air tank parafinalia for frequent refills.....what a nuisance ..we should not be considering taking critters with pistols anyway......loads of rifle choices for that.....so go for an easy cocking, self contained tool that is the length a pistol should be not the length of a small cricket bat.

Many thanks for the help - dropping any idea of pest dispatching.

Back to working up to 10 mtre targets and plinking.

It seems that (and very little different to my rifles) any make/model/price air pistol you can buy has its inherent problems which will need sorting at some time or other !

Any advice please as to what parts of the HW75 the Pelgun Oil should be applied ?

M.

Ps A very happy 2017 to one and all.
    Last edited by clarky; 03-01-2017 at 07:08 PM.

P700s-a

Its a shame about the air leak as my first impressions were good.

Balanced, good grip, easy to load and quite accurate.

Not a problem with re-filling as never intended to use it away from home, and already set up for PCP anyway.

Awaiting the HW75 and almost talking myself into taking the SMK back after repair...hmmm.

Thanks everyone for your help.

M.

The Brocock Grand Prix is a fine pistol - the trigger is worst bit but it's tweakable.
    I've had a lot of success with the Crosman 1377 but I admit that they're not for everyone and they need quite a bit of work to bring them up to scratch.
    For the money a Crosman 2240 is hard to beat - plenty of power and very accurate.
    The HW75 is a superb pistol but very very low on power, forget humane dispatch or even pistol HFT - 20 yds is about the limit for one of these.
    How about a Zoraki / Alecto? Full power and only three pumps.