Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Providing ID when buying a gun from a shop/dealer

Providing ID when buying a gun from a shop/dealer

Hi all,

Having purchased several airguns over the years, I have never thought to question as to why I needed to show ID, probably because I have nothing to hide and I'm pretty much law abiding without questioning the reasons.

However, a thought has occurred to me: What happens to the information we provide? Is it really simply to ensure that the buyer is old enough...?.... or does it go onto a database somewhere....??

There will be numerous records of my purchases but no record of whether I still own those guns or not, especially as we don't record who we sell them on to.

Any enlightenment gratefully received.

Cliff.
    Non Nobis Solum Sed Toti Mundo Nati.

Co-founder of "Treats4BritishTroops"

How many shops even ask for ID? in the last three year I have purchase rifles in three UK shops and only one has asked for any ID.

Hi cliff

DedIdick had said on a recent post that the RFD does not give the information to any one

post 3 on here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ttish-nonsence

might only be Scotland though.

paul

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Hi cliff

DedIdick had said on a recent post that the RFD does not give the information to any one

post 3 on here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ttish-nonsence

might only be Scotland though.

paul
    No Paul, it applies to all RFDs in UK. They must record the details of the buyer but are not required to inform anyone. So no names on databases.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by MTA123 View Post
    How many shops even ask for ID? in the last three year I have purchase rifles in three UK shops and only one has asked for any ID.
    I've bought 2 rifles and a pistol from the same RFD and all three times they have recorded my ID (Driving licence) even though they had all my details that were recorded the first time onto there computer system.

I'm nearly 43 so I'm flattered if they think I don't look 18

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I asked my RFD about this last year and they said although they are required to keep a record, it is only held by that RFD and not added to any database. Moderators/silencers fall into this too. They did say they have had the Police come in a few times over the years to ask to see the records where they have been investigating a particular gun/rifle that had been used in an 'illegal' situation/instant. Of course this is all well and good if the original owner still owns it. However, chances are it will have been sold on/passed on or stolen since the original purchase.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The last time I bought one it was not entered on any computer or official form only hand written in a dog-eared accounting type book.

I think this requirement was all part of the knee-jerk VCR act and as such, is equally as illogical as the rest of that legislation.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

providing id??

The rfd's me and my friend have used recently have asked for id when purchasing used rifles and also when collecting them I suppose its down to the individual really even though they are supposed to all the time ��

Last rifle I bought, a HW100 from a well know rfd, he asked for the ID and I said you should have it from the last rifle I purchased from you.
    NO, we don't keep any details!!!
    Now another closer RFD does!!!!

atb

Bri

Cheers gents.

So, do we concur that none of the details are sent onto a national/government database?

If that is correct, why bother to actually take those details?

If it is simply down to age, well... to my knowledge, no pub records the details of youngsters who have to provide ID.

Confusing...
    Non Nobis Solum Sed Toti Mundo Nati.

Co-founder of "Treats4BritishTroops"

Don't know what they do with the info but if I buy another gun I will ask.
    Think if they keep such info they woudl have to comply with the data protection act.

Bri

Section 31(2) of the VCRA requires dealers to "keep a record" of airgun sales.

That's it. Pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The last time I bought one it was not entered on any computer or official form only hand written in a dog-eared accounting type book.
    Yes, the dealer Must record the buyers details. There is no direction of how ,where & what details the dealer must register. Its what's normally classed as a clusterf*ck!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    No Paul, it applies to all RFDs in UK. They must record the details of the buyer but are not required to inform anyone. So no names on databases.
    I thought it may have been due to the AWC.

saying that, the hw99s I bought a few months back the RFD asked to see my id. I showed him my FAC.

mine was put the guys pc in the shop. I have bought firearms related goods from him so he knows my FAC details.