Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Providing ID when buying a gun from a shop/dealer

Last airgun I bought, they wanted proof of age and proof of address (bank statement etc.) It was written down in a booklet.

I guessed the reason being, as has been said, in the event of an airgun being used in a crime, there's a higher chance of it being traced back to the original owner. Of what use this would be is anyone's guess as a criminal is unlikely to give his details in to an RFD for a gun he's about to commit a crime with, is he?

Some airgun RFD's keep their records on computer and others keep them on paper. My local shop keeps paper records They are filed by the forms serial number. If the records are kept on paper they cannot easily find your details from an earlier purchase.
    ASAIK if the records are kept on paper they don't have to comply with the data protection act as it only covers computer records.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

The law requires me to keep a record of all airguns sold just as I would for a shotgun or firearm.

That said in most circumstances I must in turn inform the police of sales of firearms or shotguns which is NOT required for airguns

I am required to hold these records for the duration I am an RFD plus 5 years

Mine are all on a database but some of the old boys still use a large leatherbound book and quill.

The police can inspect them at any time for any reason.

Scotland may well be different but that's the bulk of the UK.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Interesting further replies.

Just to add: I have bought 3 new rifles in the past 6 months, all of which required my ID, for which I provided my driving licence.

So, now, somebody, somewhere, knows I have 'had' possession of 3 air rifles. Beyond that purchase, no-one knows where those rifles go....
    Non Nobis Solum Sed Toti Mundo Nati.

Co-founder of "Treats4BritishTroops"

Quote Originally Posted by Clifftop View Post
    Interesting further replies.

Just to add: I have bought 3 new rifles in the past 6 months, all of which required my ID, for which I provided my driving licence.

So, now, somebody, somewhere, knows I have 'had' possession of 3 air rifles. Beyond that purchase, no-one knows where those rifles go....
    correct. you buy it today and sell it on Monday. who apart from you and the seller unless you post an advert knows you sold it on?

I think it's a bit pointless personally. There are three gunshops I use fairly regularly. I never carry any ID with me. If I see something I want, it is usually an impulse buy. They all know me quite well, but always ask for ID (knowing I won't have any). My details are already on their systems. I have never been refused a sale. The first time I am refused will be the last time they sell me anything. How many people carry ID as a matter of course? It doesn't enter my head to take ID with me every time I go out.

It's a total pointless waste of time. As has been said, it's held by the RFD, and not put on a database.
    I bought a pistol a couple of months back, my details were taken along with the serial number.
    I have since sold it, but I have no idea who the guy is, or where he lives.

secretagentmole Guest
    I have had to provide ID when buying from gunshops for the first time, but after that the ones around here seem to remember you.

ID

Morning all,

I have been using the same RFD for years and when ever I buy a new rifle the always sake for my ID then they stick my details in to a ledger. It never bothers me at all and it came in handy when my R10 died a death and I had lost my receipt a quick photo copy of the ledger and bingo a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    ASAIK if the records are kept on paper they don't have to comply with the data protection act as it only covers computer records.
    Nope, law now amended to cover all details, paper or computer!

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    I think it's a bit pointless personally. There are three gunshops I use fairly regularly. I never carry any ID with me. If I see something I want, it is usually an impulse buy. They all know me quite well, but always ask for ID (knowing I won't have any). My details are already on their systems. I have never been refused a sale. The first time I am refused will be the last time they sell me anything. How many people carry ID as a matter of course? It doesn't enter my head to take ID with me every time I go out.
    Not completely pointless. If your guns were stolen and a bit later sold on to a gun shop it would be a way of tracing the new owner and getting your pride and joy back to you. The new owner maybe won't be as happy but you would be. You would be surprised the amount of guns that are stolen/lost. We are sent a list of guns at least once or twice a month of guns that the police are interested in and want us to keep a look out for.

No ID

I bought a new HW35 a few weeks back. They asked if I'd purchased from them before, which I told them I had, and then asked me for my name and address. They didn't ask me for any ID to verify what I told them.