Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunshops for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Agree. e.g. SFS doing tunes. Unless there is going to be added value (tunes, repairs, servicing, etc), it just isn't going to compete against a lower cost base internet supplier.

VCR act would actaully help retail shops due to mandating F2F, (but it's still dumb), except for the fact that Euro sellers are unaffected
    PX makes them some money and has to be F2F.

With shooting under so much pressure, through legal and "social" influences (however misguided), who'd want to run a shooting shop ? I enjoy guns, but it's not a great way to earn a living these days.
    Absolutely.

I've dreamed of having a shop for years, but fear it will always remain a dream, especially with a mortgage and bin lids to consider - far too much risk.

As you say, John, people that can specialize and build in extra value will / should thrive. I think the waiting list at SFS will be fairly lengthy? The waiting list for V-Mach is certainly very, very long.

And, where possible, I'd always prefer to give my business to people who live, breath and eat Airguns with a passion. So, when Venom Arms existed and had a retail shop, I bought EVERYTHING that I could from them. And then your repeated business gets appreciated and rewarded. I have pretty much the same sort of relationship now with my local RFD (16 miles away). He knows I won't go elsewhere. Loyalty is rewarded and it's a two-way thing. And he gets lots of referrals from me, too.

Working in retail myself, I value and try to deliver genuine, honest service. I get stacks of repeat business. A great proportion of my customers from the previous shop where I worked until 7 years ago prefer to come and buy from me and that's with a 140 miles round-trip rather than a couple of miles down the road. I never take their business for granted, reward their loyalty and they're happy to keep coming back.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

By the sounds of it Bar and McAvoy's are giving something their customers want.
    VCR act should give a boost to foot fall to a shop.

Shop business rates are on the political and government agenda; not every shop is a cash cow. Councils and all sorts have heaped additional costs, rent increases being another big one, on small shops. Time its recognised small shops are inefficient but are needed.
    They have to sell a lot of stuff to pay wages and all the other costs of running a shop. Low margins make for even more sales necessary. Making £20 on a £150 pair of boots doesn't make sense. Cartridges there is even less in it due to the bulk buyers offers. On 5%-10% margins its just not enough. Clothing should be better but even those are found on the internet discounted.
    Part problem is we use agents distributors to buy in bulk manufacturers. They take their cut which almost matches shop mark ups.
    Another is there isn't a huge line gunshop's offer that have real value other than items that have low mark ups. Buy a rifle, shotgun or airgun and the margins n best sellers are slim. Many make more on 2nd Hand. The work involved in selling one gun with all the paperwork is hardly worth the effort.
    Its seasonal too with lean months depending on the time of year.

Add it up its surprising there are any gunshops. Too many fingers in the pie be it agents, councils, tax, you name it; plus we as consumers want the best price possible and hunt high and low for them.

All hard graft. Do it well, offer other services like 2nd hand trades, then a gunshop might work. However, for all the doom and gloom the market is there and there is trade to be done. Its for all of us to ensure shooting sports thrive.

Many a plumber does better...so those plumbers need to spend in a gunshop!

The VCR doesnt help.
    The issue with net is if its w4ong or damaged or if there is a dispute. Walk into a shop and you can look someone in the eye and also get advice as to.product and reasons why one is better for any given scenario. You dont get that online.

The PROBLEM with a shop is massive overheads even before you get to salaries.

And Manufacturers and Suppliers insist you have to have a shop before they will supply you or supply you at a margin that makes economic sense.

And then you have to jump thru hoops to get an RFD with highrler phtlysucals and alarms and redcare and......well its just mental.

But your caught coz you cant buy a lot of firearms stuff unless you want to pay 1 lot or more likely 2 lots of RFD to RFD fees.

The net isnt all cracked up. When its good its good but when it goes tits...its a PITA.

I bought something the other day. No co firmatio email so I contacted an online 24/7 helpline and told order failed. Said it didnt...screen confirming trans co.pleted came up. Checked my bank account and now payment taken.

2 packages arrived after I reordered.....orig did go thru after all but can O get them to arrange collection and refund....can I .

So yeah.....both have their place but buy a shop......why would you want to do it unless its only FAC stuff.

Madness
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Shops

I try my hardest to use small local shops I don't mind pay a small mark up most of the time, you can not replace the knowledge base that some small shop keepers have and there is no way on gods green earth that can replace a long standing RFD it all well and good reading about a product on the net I like it told to be to my face. I've ever only once used the net for a big purchase after reading almost all the on line reviews and boy oh boy did I regret it.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    There are one or two decent RDF's near me but I prefer to travel up Leeds way, to "Swillies" who I've being doing good business with for a good few years !
    Great Outfit and recommended !
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The shop near me is alright but the young guy who owns it is a bit up himself, the secondhand range is none existent and all he seems to stock is Weihrauch, Stoager, Webley valuemax and BSA PCP's his pellets and other gear are pricey, I've been buying the odd tin of pellets from him as by the time I add P&P to internet pellet prices they work out about the same but I may just save up and get a bulk deal price from Uttings or elsewhere.

I did ask him about a cheap .25 calibre rifle the other day but he wanted to flog me a HW95, you can imagine my disgust.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in