Thread: Air Arms SE90 sidelever.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Air Arms SE90 sidelever.

Hi all,

I've managed to find an Air Arms SE90 sidelever for sale, now I already have an Air Arms Combat which needs work done to it but its build is very "agricultural", if you get what I mean now does anyone know if the later SE90's where a bit more refined? also are the triggers any better than the plastic ones fitted to the military style versions and how rare is the SE90 as there's not much on the web about them and what I have found, the people who own them say they are rare as hell.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I can't profess to know a lot about these, Pete, but I think it's one of these, belonging to BBF that I had a go with at the last Bash and it was lovely. Trigger seemed fairly good, too.

Hopefully Ray (BBF) and Ray (Transporter - who has quite a few lovely AA sidelevers) will be along to assist.

The only things that I see as a negative are the references to many of the spares being unobtainum-ish?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I owned an ex88 that BBF bought from me at the last bash. The trigger was nice, though first stage was adjusted via a compression spring and pin onto the trigger blade, adjustable from the top of the main cylinder (so no scope on whilst adjustments are made). Other than that the trigger was nice and predictable. If you contact AA they will return you a PDF schematic and they say some spares are available still, but not many.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    old combat / firepower were completely non adjustable triggers, and if mine is anything to go by, not even two sage. So it souds like the SE90 /EX88 should have better triggers

to be fair it's the only thing I don't like about my hipower (in terms of technical design) - but it's usable.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It'll certainly be a world away from those dull German guns that bore you so much Pete.
    Have you registered with a good NHS dentist! Just asking like........
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    old combat / firepower were completely non adjustable triggers, and if mine is anything to go by, not even two sage. So it souds like the SE90 /EX88 should have better triggers

to be fair it's the only thing I don't like about my hipower (in terms of technical design) - but it's usable.
    Are you sure there isn't a Webley Vulcan/Tracker style adjuster buried somewhere in there? The rather fuzzy Chambers parts diagram shows a lot of pointy bolty things at or around the end block.

I never thought of trying to adjust the trigger on my Jackal Parabellum, because (a) it's not a bad trigger for a 70s novelty gun (no worse than contemporary Webleys or BSAs), and (b) it's a 70s novelty gun, not a tuned HW.

I ask this because John Walter's book (1984 edition) refers (under the listing for the Supra, formerly the Jackal Woodstock) to a "trigger, adjustable down to about 2lbs". And I think the later EX88/Camargues etc from the mid-late 80s had a better and adjustable trigger.

My early wooden stocked sidelevers have just a spring in the pin with the hole. Later guns had a screw to adjust weight of pull for sure. If you fancy taking the trigger mechanism apart, you better have a spare gun to look at when it comes time to reassemble. Things just fall out and you know not from where. My guns are very plain and the one in.22 has Jackal on top and the other, with a longer barrel in .177 has Air Arms on top. The trigger pull on both is light, but just a long pull back to the point it fires.

my Hi-power had an adjustable trigger. was in the pin going through the top as capitalBee has said also.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It'll certainly be a world away from those dull German guns that bore you so much Pete.
    Have you registered with a good NHS dentist! Just asking like........
    I must admit my Combat is rather twangy but I've found the best way to fire it, is from the hip, thus no need for said dentist

I'm sure you've managed to tame one?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I do remember taking apart an early Jackel I had a few years ago and remember the pin and spring in the tube, I also remember the trigger mechanism was a nightmare getting back together but I think there's a lot of info on them on the net nowadays (unlike the owners manual I had that had an exploded view and that was it).

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    my Hi-power had an adjustable trigger. was in the pin going through the top as capitalBee has said also.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear... yes, the trigger spring pressure (going through that big pin) could be adjusted, but there is no facility to adjust the bit that matters, i.e. let off point / 2nd stage, etc.

Unless they are silly (this one is sensible), trigger pressure really isn't an issue for me - I just like to know when it's going to release
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I must admit my Combat is rather twangy but I've found the best way to fire it, is from the hip, thus no need for said dentist

I'm sure you've managed to tame one?

Pete
    Tuned mine up and it responded really well. Just basic stuff - new (small dia) spring that is a tight fit on the inbuilt guide, then a thickish piston sleave to take up the remaining slack, and a good dollop of grease. my .22 runs about 11 FP and is quite calm to shoot. No twang at all.

I have a Hi-Power and a SE90 with a LH walnut stock, both 22. The 2 rifles are worlds apart. The SE90 is lovely.
    The SE90 I believe is un-touched, but shoots with minimal re-coil, and is plenty accurate. The comb is quite high, and I struggle sightly with the scope on medium mounts.

Im getting a right sweet spot for side levers, they just work so well for me as a right handed person, who shoots left handed due to eyesight. Got a Webley tracker too ;-)

Would do anything for a SE90 carbine....
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I have a Hi-Power and a SE90 with a LH walnut stock, both 22. The 2 rifles are worlds apart. The SE90 is lovely.
    The SE90 I believe is un-touched, but shoots with minimal re-coil, and is plenty accurate. The comb is quite high, and I struggle sightly with the scope on medium mounts.
    That's the sort of info I wanted to hear, I may have to go and have a look at it soon.

Pete

Oh, forgot to say, the trigger on my SE90 is not what im used to, the curve, or where its positioned pushes my finger upwards, so its touching the stock. Not sure if it can be adjusted rearwards, so the curve becomes more vertical? No issue with the trigger pull or weight, just the odd ergo of my trigger.
    Thanks - Geoff.