Thread: Acog on a springer?

Acog on a springer?

Hi all,

So I don't know what's given me the urge, but I thought I'd run it past you all and see what you guys think. Basically I want to put a cheap ish acog on my hw80k. I figured seens as most of my shots on rabbits ect are pretty close up ~20 yards, a 8x scope is great but I fancy a change.

Any of you folks put an acog/red dot on a springer before? Is it any good?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyd345 View Post
    Red dot on a springer is fine for close range, but more like 15 yards max range on rats than 20 yard brainshots on bunnies I'd suggest - it's just not that precise.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

You have to remember ACOG sights are designed to shoot man sized targets quickly at short range, it's no substitute for a scope when shooting small targets, or open sights come to that!

Your better off with a low mag wide field of view scope, or just wind the mag down on a 3-9 zoom

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I assume you mean an ACOG copy because there is no such thing as a cheap ACOG.
    Master Debater

Hi all,

So I don't know what's given me the urge, but I thought I'd run it past you all and see what you guys think. Basically I want to put a cheap ish acog on my hw80k. I figured seens as most of my shots on rabbits ect are pretty close up ~20 yards, a 8x scope is great but I fancy a change.

Is there any difference in use to using a 2-7 with illuminated Ret? I'd have thought this would be much more versatile, especially if you had a few hold over points.....
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

On my 3-9x scope it's always on 4, so I figured a low mag would be OK. What sort of wide view scope were you talking about?

Illuminated reticules make my wallet quiver!

I am fitting an Elcan Specter on my HW 95 .20, as I think the fine horizontal lines for the drop of the .223 round will match up nicely with the trajectory of the .20 at different distances up to 70 metres. Will see.

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 10-01-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hi all,

What's a ACOG?

Many years ago, when my FWB Sport replaced the Mercury as my main bunny rifle (4x40 Tasco WA 'scope), I fitted one of the early Singlepoint sights to the Mercury for close range ratting. And it was superb. Although the dot seemed too large for medium range bunnies (20-ish yards), your brain works it out and automatically centres it up, so quite usable for this use. The rifle was a .22, so precise holdover points for longer range stuff may present an issue. Great for plinking at any range, though. Super-fast target acquisition. And it was MEGA on those close range rats!

In latter years, I tried a Hawke Sport Red Dot on a Crosman Model 1. Not ever so keen. Seemed a little flimsy and the adjustments weren't fine enough.

Then, about four years ago (?) I thought I'd give another Red Dot a go. This time on a Ratbuster 2240 to which I'd fitted a steel breech and shoulder stock. This was mainly for plinking and with some close range rats in mind, if I ever get a suitable permission. Okay, you wouldn't want to use a pistol for Ratties, but once equipped with the breech and stock, it's accurate and the low power (5.5ft.lbs) plenty at very close quarters. When I say accurate, this was with a little 4x32AO 'scope that I'd previously used on it.

The Red Dot that it now wears is a Walther Competition one. Seems okay and the dot is fine enough. The only thing is that, with this gun, the mount restricts access to the loading channel a little bit (I'd fitted a G-Mac longer probe, which doesn't help here, too), so it's all a bit fussy. I've not used it for ages. Maybe it ought to come out for a play soon, but I'm too much in love with the springers to bother.

I'd guess that it would be sturdy enough for springer use, though.

The others that I had fancied at the time were some from JSR. Can't remember the make, but they seemed cheap enough (circa £25 - £30?) and the mounts certainly looked nice and robust.

However, as some have said above, I can't help but think that a nice little 'scope with the facility to zoom down to really low mag would be more versatile / suitable? A little Simmons 1.5-5x32 that one of my HW30s wears is a nice, cheap little thing. And, especially for standing shots, the virtually zero mag on 1.5 to 2 times gives loads of confidence. Illuminated ret, as Rhys suggests, would certainly help, too, for nailing rats in dim conditions.

And those Sabre 2-7x32AO sights from JSR look incredible value.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    What's a ACOG?

Many years ago, when my FWB Sport replaced the Mercury as my main bunny rifle (4x40 Tasco WA 'scope), I fitted one of the early Singlepoint sights to the Mercury for close range ratting. And it was superb. Although the dot seemed too large for medium range bunnies (20-ish yards), your brain works it out and automatically centres it up, so quite usable for this use. The rifle was a .22, so precise holdover points for longer range stuff may present an issue. Great for plinking at any range, though. Super-fast target acquisition. And it was MEGA on those close range rats!

In latter years, I tried a Hawke Sport Red Dot on a Crosman Model 1. Not ever so keen. Seemed a little flimsy and the adjustments weren't fine enough.

Then, about four years ago (?) I thought I'd give another Red Dot a go. This time on a Ratbuster 2240 to which I'd fitted a steel breech and shoulder stock. This was mainly for plinking and with some close range rats in mind, if I ever get a suitable permission. Okay, you wouldn't want to use a pistol for Ratties, but once equipped with the breech and stock, it's accurate and the low power (5.5ft.lbs) plenty at very close quarters. When I say accurate, this was with a little 4x32AO 'scope that I'd previously used on it.

The Red Dot that it now wears is a Walther Competition one. Seems okay and the dot is fine enough. The only thing is that, with this gun, the mount restricts access to the loading channel a little bit (I'd fitted a G-Mac longer probe, which doesn't help here, too), so it's all a bit fussy. I've not used it for ages. Maybe it ought to come out for a play soon, but I'm too much in love with the springers to bother.

The others that I had fancied at the time were some from JSR. Can't remember the make, but they seemed cheap enough (circa £25 - £30?) and the mounts certainly looked nice and robust.

However, as some have said above, I can't help but think that a nice little 'scope with the facility to zoom down to really low mag would be more versatile / suitable? A little Simmons 1.5-5x32 that one of my HW30s wears is a nice, cheap little thing. And, especially for standing shots, the virtually zero mag on 1.5 to 2 times gives loads of confidence. Illuminated ret, as Rhys suggests, would certainly help, too, for nailing rats in dim conditions.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ac...w=1280&bih=683

Cheers.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    What's a ACOG?

I had a singlepoint, they were really popular when the production team for star wars bought every one in the country lol http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hKigZwLQGG...ster-mold3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    I had a singlepoint, they were really popular when the production team for star wars bought every one in the country lol http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hKigZwLQGG...ster-mold3.jpg
    Haha!

I got mine from a friend secondhand back in about 1980/1 for £5.

Good fun, too.

I bought a BSA Scorpion form him around the same time. No sights and a bit tatty, but a bargain for a tenner!

And a tatty looking HW35 back in 2008 for £30. Love it.

And I saw him a couple of months ago and he's apparently got a Milbro rifle (he doesn't know which model) which will be a freebie. Need to go get it collected.

So, all in all, he's been an excellent source of cheapies over the years.

Real ACOG: £500+. Nice. Very nice, actually.

Fake ACOG: £25+. Not nice. Especially not on a springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Real ACOG: £500+. Nice. Very nice, actually.

Fake ACOG: £25+. Not nice. Especially not on a springer.
    Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight - you need quality and toughness but most of our guys buying them for airsoft. I must say that my Elcan Specter (real unit £2000, mine £125) is built from metal to take a beating and the lenses and etched reticule are brilliant. The only thing I don't have is the x1 option only x4 which is no problem for an air rifle.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD