Thread: FX Impact - major faults reported

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    i came really close to buying a wildcat until i read the reviews for that as well.

FX have made modifications to the Wildcat and its paid off, reliability is now excellent thankfully . I don't think we have had a single issue for 2 months. It seems the way these days.. Buying new tech can come at a cost and early adopters can suffer . I'd recommend going to your local dealer and having another look as the Wildcat is now a cracking gun . I'm sure the same will happen to the Impact given a little time.

BAR did a similar thing with Gunpower as well I think.

Good for them though. This is the sort of thing an airgun magazine should get hold of and do some digging around the issue. Delicately.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    BAR did a similar thing with Gunpower as well I think.

Good for them though. This is the sort of thing an airgun magazine should get hold of and do some digging around the issue. Delicately.
    Like Airgun World,
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    Like Airgun World,
    If only we knew someone....

All new products have teething trouble that would not have been obvious during development, look at the AA FTP900, loads of leaking firing valves, lots of complaints, primary cause the quick fill was not chamfered enough on it's entry so it was shaving little bits of o ring off which then found it's way under the firing valve, sometimes you need to have the owners finalise the development.

I'm sure FX will address the issues then the rifle will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    All new products have teething trouble that would not have been obvious during development, look at the AA FTP900, loads of leaking firing valves, lots of complaints, primary cause the quick fill was not chamfered enough on it's entry so it was shaving little bits of o ring off which then found it's way under the firing valve, sometimes you need to have the owners finalise the development.

I'm sure FX will address the issues then the rifle will be fine.
    90% return rate is way beyond teething trouble. I can't for the life of me see them being worth anything like the selling price. Too many "premium" brands are poorly constructed tat which is then accepted and saluted as being top class. The truth is they are overpriced crap.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

If you wonder why this sort of thing happens ... Friend of mine on a shoot was talking about manufacturing. He'd sent off designs for a particular electronic device his company want to sell. The Chinese manufacturer sent him what he specified. It was perfect. EXACTLY what had been designed. It was a meter of some sort to be used outside so needed to be pretty tough and reliable.

He put an order in for a 500 or so.

The whole lot was junk. As soon as the order was in the Chinese manufacturer cut every corner possible and then some in order to maximise their profit.

FX might have experienced something similar and not realised it until the models were out. Or alternatively the whole design was crap from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    If you wonder why this sort of thing happens ... Friend of mine on a shoot was talking about manufacturing. He'd sent off designs for a particular electronic device his company want to sell. The Chinese manufacturer sent him what he specified. It was perfect. EXACTLY what had been designed. It was a meter of some sort to be used outside so needed to be pretty tough and reliable.

He put an order in for a 500 or so.

The whole lot was junk. As soon as the order was in the Chinese manufacturer cut every corner possible and then some in order to maximise their profit.

FX might have experienced something similar and not realised it until the models were out. Or alternatively the whole design was crap from the start.
    The FX could be excused if it was Chinese but it isn't. The latter would seem to apply to FX over recent times.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

The FIRST rule of buying a new bit of product is HOW MUCH DO I REALLY WANT TO BE THE COMPANIES LIVE R&D bunny.

The Impact is a switch barrel and variable power output rifle and therefore has a selection of additional hurdles to jump over rather than a new rifle that is a one trick pony.

These are not simple bits of engineering and getting consistancy V's meeting production commitments are ALWAYS going to create these issues. Its just some can be fairly minor like the early HW100,s cylinder dethreading.....others can be really shit timing like AA's dropping of the RN10 and Pro Target for the EV2 which took years and Daystates Airwolfs breeches that ate more pellets than it shot......BSA R10 Mk1's pretty much all had to be blue printed.......Mk2 were much better......

It wont be the last.

As for the smooth twist....its no better or worse than any barrel. It made by crushing the outside of the barrel so the internal face is hardly going to get smoother. The hype from Taylor that it would revolutionise the face of shooting was just unadulterated bullsheet but that doesnt mean it isnt capable. You just have to read between the lines.

I am still interested in this rifle but you just have to bear in mind that its never a good idea to rush out and buy the Mk1.....you dont get a discount for being a paying R&D and its as simple as that.

BAR are an honest and upfront outlet.
    FX is also a decent manufacturer and I am sure they will address and iron out the bumps and twists in due course.

Its a case of watch this space.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill