Thread: FX Impact - major faults reported

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am seriously considering the fx impact in fac, if they are so bad why aren't there loads of used one up for sale you would expect people to try and flog them whilst prices are high
    Acta non Verba

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by mick a View Post
    I am seriously considering the fx impact in fac, if they are so bad why aren't there loads of used one up for sale you would expect people to try and flog them whilst prices are high
    Hi Mick

There is a general shortage of FX impacts, and if you paid £1600+ for a gun and it went wrong you would be more inclined to try and get your money back/exchange, than to take a hit on it and sell a dog to some unsuspecting soul - I know I certainly would.

There are also quite a few out there which have been trouble free and the owners love them, so either of these reasons still support a lack on the 2nd hand market - while they are difficult to get new due to production/availability issues.

From what I've heard the FAC versions have been far better received and are apparently a better gun as the UK 12fpe version has been castrated in several ways to bring the power down and no longer get the benefits the FAC version has for adjustment.

I'm still on the fence on this one - there are a lot of people on both sides giving opinions, and I think there are probably a lot more happy ones than sad ones, but the fact that there are significant numbers of issues at all has kept me from even considering one of these at present in UK form.

But read the net - some is good, some is bad, the truth is probably in between.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

My own Impact is a box standard UK 12ftlb model. It continues to impress me with its basic shootability, and if anything the accuracy of both my .177 and .22 Smoothtwist barrels appears to improve the more it is shot. Another tin of lead fired today and the gun has still not missed a beat (7,500 shots fired). There again, I have not been arseing about with a set of allen keys attempting to over adjust trigger units and have taken care to load the magazines squarely into the action. My own gun is also airtight and remains in perfect working order.

It is very understandable if following the purchase of such a high cost item and it fails to perform as promised then most of us would be well p-----d off. There again, I also personally feel that a high percentage of current owners are probably just as pleased as I am: the only difference being that I am one of those shooters that likes to bore others with the written word, unlike the majority of contented purchasers.

Anyway, I noticed today that both my Smoothtwist barrels prefer to be cleaned via a dry pull through. I had been using the LT1 wet patch approach to start with but discovered that the dry approach appears to work faster.

Another few hundred pellets will be flung from my favourite toy tomorrow. Once again, I do not anticipate any problems. Being a left hooker allows me to cycle the action and not even move my cheek from the gun or trigger finger from the guard, and is partly responsible for the guns hideous lead consumption and my own childish smiles.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

It is worth repeating that MK1 technology...especially when its cutting edge and multi function....switch barrel and adjustable power....is going to bring a lot of tech issues to the table.

If you buy Mk 1s you are accepting the fact that you are potentially paying to do R&D for the manufacturer.

Jesus its tricky enough to get a single role rifle right.....aitlr arms...daystate...HW.....the list is endless.

BUT.......when the bugs are sorted or at least you know the potential fault and the remedy then I for one have an impact on my shopping list and the different calibre too.

It is a brilliant concept. It has no real competitor if you want an FAC switch barrel and as I am lookinflg to do a variety of pest control then these are huge plus points at least on paper.

Clearly there are a few customers who have guns that work and they get glowing reports so lets face facts and understand that as a concept it seems to be doable.

Lets also face facts that there will be teething problems which is exactly the way I am looking at it.

It isnt pretty. It isnt the.only option. It isnt even necessarily the right rifle for you if it doesnt fit or do the job/s you want but thats true of any rifle of amy power source air or powder..

However...if you are in the market for a potential multi shot light weight switch barrel adjustable power rifle with a huge shot count then you will be prepared to wait till the Mk1 issues have been sorted and the level of faults reduce to a more tolerable ratio.

There are issues.such as using weaver and not piccy.

Dont have an expectation that switching scopes is going to give you a bang on zero but theres a good chance it will if its on one gun. And would you REALLY ex0ect to squeeze the trigger on a.pulse without checking your zero first. Its an air rifle and moderated very well so there doesnt seem to be good reason NOT to check zero.

I am interested in this rifle as it has huge potential as I have patience so for me....its watch this space.

Other than the weaver rail...the only other issue I have is no standard barrel options other than smooth twist. I dont doubt it works and on the face of it...ylthe higher the power the better but notlr has ST changed the face of shooting as Taylor blagged about.

All things considered, I look forward to FX getting their act together here.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

As a shooting platform the impact concept ticks so many boxes ,I am familiar with this style of ergonomics too having had several Ar15 rifles ,the ability to put a .22LR upper on my .223 lower gave me another gun ,straight pull is a similar action too,
    I think it is probably worth while waiting for any niggles to be sorted out before splashing the cash
    Acta non Verba

I can understand that many people interested in the concept that the Impact introduces will be sitting on the fence while those of us who have forked out iron out any potential issues,

However, I can only repeat that my own example appears to be fault free at present. I certainly didn't buy the gun for its looks, but for its ability to change its shooting characteristics with a two minute barrel and probe change.

Finally, I obviously check zero when swapping barrels/scopes, but I think due to the quality of said scopes and Sportsmatch quick detachable mounts, there is little if any change in point of impact. Once again, that is a fact and not speculation and is due partly to the fact that the gun is well engineered and made from quality components that go back to where they live with minimal hassle.

I can also see that I am banging my head against a brick wall with my positive comments. Just so I can fit in with the majority view I will now make a comment that will keep the detractors happy.

Those Impacts, their s---e.

Andy

Disaster!!!

Following a swift barrel change, gun was well down on velocity and popping its head off. Breech seal I thought so that was swiftly changed along with the two barrel o rings. Poppety pop pop pop, jam went my little friend. Bugger thought I. The first of the many reported Impact faults had raised its ugly head. Now sulking, I glanced down at the breech and thought to myself "bloody hell, that looks a bit large for .177." Yes, you guessed it, .177 pellets and probe dont work too well with a .22 barrel onboard. What a t--t I thought as fellow airgunners enjoyed much Mickey taking at my expense (especially a certain Mr Jones.) With the "proper" barrel installed the gun steadily chewed its way through yet more .177 pellets with its usual efficiency.

The moral of the story is dont let your spare barrel get sneakily changed without first double checking its calibre. Sorry to dissapoint the anti-Impact shooters!

Andy