Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FX Impact - major faults reported

forgot to add, indeed the scope rail is high and the barrel are parallel so you basically have no intersection between the pellet trajectory and the line of sight.

only way around it is to overadjust the scope turrets out of optical axis. OR to get no limit adjustable mounts.
    regarding the scope rail, early versions had wrong spacing between the slots. this caused issues with true mil specced mounts

i am not bad mouthing anything, just trying to add some content following this thread subject
    if you want to get one go ahead, but i guess you have been influenced by too many youtube videos.
    Last edited by krisko; 21-03-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Krisco

With that last post of yours, you demonstrate why you are unqualified to comment (this is not just my opinion, I understand).

If you don't know your subject - leave it to those who do. ( )

Your first line / sentence is clearly rubbish.

Your second 'statement' regarding scope mounting rails ("wrong spacing") is also incorrect:

Like most airgun makers FX have used the 11mm 'dovetail' standard (perhaps with better regard to the actual '11mm' width than some others have shown).

Responding to numerous demands from their biggest single market, the USA, asking for weaver mount rails (dovetails, yes but slotted and on steroids!) they went ahead and produced a set of weaver slotted rails. (all this powered by the marvellous power of the WWW).

Some of the 'voices' calling for "weaver mounts" actually meant Picatinny Mounts (more properly known as 'MIL-STD-1913 rail', or Standardization Agreement 2324 rail which is a scope mounting system largely used by the US Military - a so-called system of placing different scopes/sights/etc onto weapons as required by the situation - this is an ENTIRELY MYTHICAL solution to a perceived problem (but from a military standpoint).

Here's why...

Basically, Picatinny MS 1913 does not acheive ANY accuracy gains whatsoever (quite the opposite). The military have entirely different ambitions when 'shooting' to a responsible civilian hunter, for instance.

Both 'weaver' and Picatinny rails are 22mm wide, UGLY AS HELL, and have no real reason to be on an airgun ... IMO.

Your comments tell me that you are just trolling this thread.

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx...nin001/page/2/

here is a troubleshooting guide for those who ended up with one, i hope this helps
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0P...I2VG8xYTA/view
    Last edited by krisko; 21-03-2017 at 11:11 PM.

All I know is that the rails are dead handy for swiftly attaching/removing various items including a change of scope for each calibre.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by DSidelever View Post
    With that last post of yours, you demonstrate why you are unqualified to comment (this is not just my opinion, I understand).

Your second 'statement' regarding scope mounting rails ("wrong spacing") is also incorrect:

Like most airgun makers FX have used the 11mm 'dovetail' standard (perhaps with better regard to the actual '11mm' width than some others have shown).

Responding to numerous demands from their biggest single market, the USA, asking for weaver mount rails (dovetails, yes but slotted and on steroids!) they went ahead and produced a set of weaver slotted rails. (all this powered by the marvellous power of the WWW).

Some of the 'voices' calling for "weaver mounts" actually meant Picatinny Mounts (more properly known as 'MIL-STD-1913 rail', or Standardization Agreement 2324 rail which is a scope mounting system largely used by the US Military - a so-called system of placing different scopes/sights/etc onto weapons as required by the situation - this is an ENTIRELY MYTHICAL solution to a perceived problem (but from a military standpoint).

Here's why...

Basically, Picatinny MS 1913 does not acheive ANY accuracy gains whatsoever (quite the opposite). The military have entirely different ambitions when 'shooting' to a responsible civilian hunter, for instance.

Both 'weaver' and Picatinny rails are 22mm wide, UGLY AS HELL, and have no real reason to be on an airgun ... IMO.

Interesting - I actually prefer piccy rails over 11mm wide rails any day of the week. Of course qulity kit is always essential but the piccy rail allows me to use throw lever and swap dedicated day and night vision or switch pods with ease.

I am prepared to spend money on decent rails and rings and bearing in mind I have air to full bore and MTC to Nightforce NXS, this has proven very useful.

Nor do I have a specific issue with zero shift if I detach and reattach the same scope although I check and would certainly expect if the scope was going onto another rifle.

I have never understood 11mm rails as the mount clmps in from the side so the mount is effectively thrown off the true centre line.

Horses for courses. I like the flexibility piccy offers and hate the limitations of 11mm.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

secretagentmole Guest
    Those weaver/picatinnyscope rails allow for rapid change of scopes between day and night vision units with a minimum of adjustment needed to re zero!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Here's why...

What an unedifying post. Put your handbag away please.

For a start - there is no 'standard' when it comes to 11mm rails. Sizes vary among manufacturers, which makes it a pain in the arse if you want 100% correct alignment without crossover, even more so if you wish to swap scopes between guns.
    Hence the calls from airgunners to fit Picatinny Rails, which firstly have a known, publicly available specification, and secondly will take both weaver and picatinny mounts, which will always fit centrally on the rail. Thus eliminating both crossover issues, and mount compatibility issues.

Airgunners want to be able to use Weaver mounts, but they don't want a Weaver rail. You can put Weaver mounts on a Picatinny rail, but you will not always be able to put Picatinny mounts on a Weaver rail.
    If the spacing of slots is incorrect and not to the Picatinny standard, you have a Weaver Rail, which is somewhat less useful. The manufacturer should have taken this into account, and if they fitted weaver rails they are idiots.

Picatinny Rails are a fantastic idea for airguns. No more searching for just the right mount. On springers, no more scope creep and no need for stop pins. Switch between day and night set ups without loss of zero. What's not to like? Apart from the fact they aren't pretty enough for you

I would be interested to know why you think that Picatinny rails make a gun/scope combination less accurate?
    Good deals with these members

Krisco, Eyebull

I watched (yes me, myself) the unfolding story of the US demands for weaver mounts on the Impact (3 US Forums involved).

FX responded with weaver mount rails.

Then the 'complainers' remembered ( ) that they actually wanted Picatinny style mounts.

Eyebull - your statement ...
    "Picatinny Rails are a fantastic idea for airguns. No more searching for just the right mount. On springers, no more scope creep and no need for stop pins. Switch between day and night set ups without loss of zero" is incorrect IMO. Just assuming NOTHING WHATSOEVER has happened to your scope and it's attached mounts between switching upon re-attachment you will not have absolute Zero (again). A large number of people have tried this 'solution' and it doesn't give the "instant" zero you are promoting. Regarding 11 mm Dovetails - I said there had been variations in 'application' over the years (and by maker on the various angles of cut etc). They do have the advantage of being '11mm' wide ONLY (weaver and Picatinny are both '22mm' wide) and we are assuming use on a known rifle. With regard to recoil - please try and remember that we are talking here about a PCP - rifles which have probably the minimum recoil.

I'll say it again so you understand my viewpoint:

Picatinny is an ugly system designed purely for 'quick detach/quick attach' in military situations IT DOES NOT OFFER THAT MAGIC in real life (for Hunters) - it is considered OK (& cheap) for hitting landrover sized targets - as a system, but cannot be dependable for humane use by hunters when used as a quick field swap.

Fine if used with a RE-ZEROING method...

But then so are standard Dovetail mounts (without the bulk, length etc).

But please don't let me stop you from imagining yourself in full camo swapping red dots to sniper scopes (S&B possibly) then finally putting a night vision 'scope' on your rifle ... although you could just buy an 'Arnie' DVD and relax on your sofa.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    But please don't let me stop you from imagining yourself in full camo swapping red dots to sniper scopes (S&B possibly) then finally putting a night vision 'scope' on your rifle ... although you could just buy an 'Arnie' DVD and relax on your sofa.
    Calm down, I think you're projecting
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Those weaver/picatinnyscope rails allow for rapid change of scopes between day and night vision units with a minimum of adjustment needed to re zero!
    Yeah It allows an easy quick swap but the diffe4ence in zero can be signicicant from one action to another. However...switch scopes set up.for the same rifle usually doesnt have this issue but till you try you wont know

I am seriously considering the fx impact in fac, if they are so bad why aren't there loads of used one up for sale you would expect people to try and flog them whilst prices are high
    Acta non Verba

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by mick a View Post
    I am seriously considering the fx impact in fac, if they are so bad why aren't there loads of used one up for sale you would expect people to try and flog them whilst prices are high
    Hi Mick

There is a general shortage of FX impacts, and if you paid £1600+ for a gun and it went wrong you would be more inclined to try and get your money back/exchange, than to take a hit on it and sell a dog to some unsuspecting soul - I know I certainly would.

There are also quite a few out there which have been trouble free and the owners love them, so either of these reasons still support a lack on the 2nd hand market - while they are difficult to get new due to production/availability issues.

From what I've heard the FAC versions have been far better received and are apparently a better gun as the UK 12fpe version has been castrated in several ways to bring the power down and no longer get the benefits the FAC version has for adjustment.

I'm still on the fence on this one - there are a lot of people on both sides giving opinions, and I think there are probably a lot more happy ones than sad ones, but the fact that there are significant numbers of issues at all has kept me from even considering one of these at present in UK form.

But read the net - some is good, some is bad, the truth is probably in between.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

My own Impact is a box standard UK 12ftlb model. It continues to impress me with its basic shootability, and if anything the accuracy of both my .177 and .22 Smoothtwist barrels appears to improve the more it is shot. Another tin of lead fired today and the gun has still not missed a beat (7,500 shots fired). There again, I have not been arseing about with a set of allen keys attempting to over adjust trigger units and have taken care to load the magazines squarely into the action. My own gun is also airtight and remains in perfect working order.

It is very understandable if following the purchase of such a high cost item and it fails to perform as promised then most of us would be well p-----d off. There again, I also personally feel that a high percentage of current owners are probably just as pleased as I am: the only difference being that I am one of those shooters that likes to bore others with the written word, unlike the majority of contented purchasers.

Anyway, I noticed today that both my Smoothtwist barrels prefer to be cleaned via a dry pull through. I had been using the LT1 wet patch approach to start with but discovered that the dry approach appears to work faster.

Another few hundred pellets will be flung from my favourite toy tomorrow. Once again, I do not anticipate any problems. Being a left hooker allows me to cycle the action and not even move my cheek from the gun or trigger finger from the guard, and is partly responsible for the guns hideous lead consumption and my own childish smiles.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

It is worth repeating that MK1 technology...especially when its cutting edge and multi function....switch barrel and adjustable power....is going to bring a lot of tech issues to the table.

If you buy Mk 1s you are accepting the fact that you are potentially paying to do R&D for the manufacturer.

Jesus its tricky enough to get a single role rifle right.....aitlr arms...daystate...HW.....the list is endless.

BUT.......when the bugs are sorted or at least you know the potential fault and the remedy then I for one have an impact on my shopping list and the different calibre too.

It is a brilliant concept. It has no real competitor if you want an FAC switch barrel and as I am lookinflg to do a variety of pest control then these are huge plus points at least on paper.

Clearly there are a few customers who have guns that work and they get glowing reports so lets face facts and understand that as a concept it seems to be doable.

Lets also face facts that there will be teething problems which is exactly the way I am looking at it.

It isnt pretty. It isnt the.only option. It isnt even necessarily the right rifle for you if it doesnt fit or do the job/s you want but thats true of any rifle of amy power source air or powder..

However...if you are in the market for a potential multi shot light weight switch barrel adjustable power rifle with a huge shot count then you will be prepared to wait till the Mk1 issues have been sorted and the level of faults reduce to a more tolerable ratio.

There are issues.such as using weaver and not piccy.

Dont have an expectation that switching scopes is going to give you a bang on zero but theres a good chance it will if its on one gun. And would you REALLY ex0ect to squeeze the trigger on a.pulse without checking your zero first. Its an air rifle and moderated very well so there doesnt seem to be good reason NOT to check zero.

I am interested in this rifle as it has huge potential as I have patience so for me....its watch this space.

Other than the weaver rail...the only other issue I have is no standard barrel options other than smooth twist. I dont doubt it works and on the face of it...ylthe higher the power the better but notlr has ST changed the face of shooting as Taylor blagged about.

All things considered, I look forward to FX getting their act together here.

As a shooting platform the impact concept ticks so many boxes ,I am familiar with this style of ergonomics too having had several Ar15 rifles ,the ability to put a .22LR upper on my .223 lower gave me another gun ,straight pull is a similar action too,
    I think it is probably worth while waiting for any niggles to be sorted out before splashing the cash
    Acta non Verba