Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In public?

AlecMac Guest

In public?

The story so far;

I have no air gun.
    I want an air gun,
    I’m buying a new AA s400 and all the bits tomorrow.

While not planning to take my gun shopping or to the cinema, there’ll be times when I’ll be out in public with it. I understand it needs to be in a secure case. What’s meant by a secure container? Does it need to be hard and locked, or does a zipped gunslip / backpack count?

Sniper 296 Guest
    not too sure myself...

but i think it needs to be a lockable case...

If in doubt try and get a hard case... always better in the long run!

zipped gunslip.

It's just so you can't threaten anybody in public, or appear threatening.

Don't think it has to be lockable - a gun slip will suffice as long as it is zipped up.

You do have to have a good reason for having it in a public place, and I'm assuming you are 18 or over.
    When in the case it must not be loaded - which is plain old common sense anyway.

Years ago I saw a gentleman taking his shotgun from a gunshop wrapped in brown paper!

Edit - just checked yur profile - you're old

You have to have reasonable or lawful excuse to have it in a public place - loaded or not.

You should therefore not take it into "Tescos" whilst going to the club etc.

I dont think there is any legal requiremnent to have it covered or the type of covering - its just common sense and good practice.

Quickest way of getting stopped - have an uncovered rifle in a public place!!

SteveH

I think it does have to be covered, I think the exception for uncovered in a public place is for public pest control, e.g. to cover town centre pigeon problems etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunpalmer
    I think it does have to be covered, I think the exception for uncovered in a public place is for public pest control, e.g. to cover town centre pigeon problems etc.
    "A secure cover, so that it can not be fired" was applied to younger shooters, over 14 but under 17 IIRC. There never has been a requirement for the gun to be covered otherwise, I think.

Obviously, these days, you wouldn't stroll down the road with an uncovered gun.
    Old age is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Yes Common sense - cover it up and securely too.

Legally the requirement to keep it covered was for younger shooters 14yrs to 17 carrying their gun to a shoot. It was removed by the Antio Social Behaviour Act last year as was their right to carry the guns unsupervised.

Still - cover it up - preferably in something non gun shaped and make sure you have got a good sound legal reason to have it with you.

AlecMac Guest
    That’s great, thanks for the advice.

CarpeDiem Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH
    You have to have reasonable or lawful excuse to have it in a public place - loaded or not.

You should therefore not take it into "Tescos" whilst going to the club etc.

I dont think there is any legal requiremnent to have it covered or the type of covering - its just common sense and good practice.

Quickest way of getting stopped - have an uncovered rifle in a public place!!

SteveH
    Sensible advice but in addition, the current legal position is that your car is also a "public place" therefore you also have to have a good reason to have an air rifle in the boot. This is obviously ok if you're travelling to and from the range or land you have permission to hunt on but there have been several court cases of late where an unsuspecting motorist has been convicted of possessing an offensive weapon in a public place on the basis of having a lockable blade knife in their car without good reason. I read one report (can't find the link now) where a chippy was convicted on this charge for having two lockable blade knives in his van. The knives were actually Stanley type craft knives in his toolbag and as it was a Sunday and he wasn't at work it was judged that he didn't have good reason for them being in the vehicle.

If you take the air rifle out shooting one evening then forget it's in the boot you are risking prosecution if, for example, you have a minor prang on the way to work the following morning and there's police involvement. Same goes for that nice little lock knife you use for skinning rabbits, which usually lives in the glove box. I've also been advised by a local solicitor that anyone who carries a Leatherman type tool on their belt is taking a risk as they can be viewed as butterfly knives because the handle splits to reveal the blade, which is then effectively locked into place when the handles are closed.

Here's a link which shows the courts views on cars being public places - even locked cars. http://www.endangereddogs.com/EDDROtisCaseOutcome.htm

Charming country we live in!

G

Yep must be securely covered but no requirement for case/slip to be locked.

Rifle (and magazine) must not be loaded - we assume this means magazine attached to the gun but JIC it's best not to transport loaded mags)

On reason to posess in public, the police recently pulled a club member and checked with us which days we operate (obviously we didn't get full details but saying you're on your way to the club on a weekday when we shoot weekends only is very silly). Don't know the outcome and no members AFAIK have gone missing.
    Another member (who had good reason) spent an afternoon in the copshop while the Police reminded themselves of the law!!

AlecMac - if you haven't found us yet then Lea Valley (Hertford) is (IMO )worth a visit.

Details on www.lvagc.com

Visitors welcome on the last Saturday of the month - please bring photo ID (driving licence, passport, scg or FAC only). First visit is free and we have club guns for hire (NB club guns being serviced so unlikely to be available 28/8)

If not LV then I'd recommend visiting any club to gain honest opinions on the guns available before splashing out - some of the airgun media is at best partisan and at worst paid-for advertising masquerading as independent publications too many new/returning shooters get misled / ripped off.

HTH

R

El Sec

I've read the 'car is a public place' thing a few times and never really thought about it until just now. How the hell can it be??!!!
    How is stealing from a car against the law then? Surely its just finding something in a public place?

AlecMac Guest
    Thanks Roger,
    I was going to start looking for local clubs next. thanks for the info and advice.

and loaded means a pellet in the barrel. Even if the gun is not cocked. however you could in theory have the rifle cocked but with out a pellet

safest I'd say is neither!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pod
    I've read the 'car is a public place' thing a few times and never really thought about it until just now. How the hell can it be??!!!
    How is stealing from a car against the law then? Surely its just finding something in a public place?
    Its the fact that you being inside a car are still in a public place.

If you are sat at traffic lights, you ain't on private land. You are in the street with a gun. One step short of "lamping pedestrians"!!! as the police may see it.

Its worth noting that its an offence whether the airgun is loaded or not.
    In law an airgun is loaded if there is ANYTHING in either the barrel or the magazine.

Aslo note that it is now an offrence for juveniles simply to carry pellets - never mind a gun.

SteveH
    Last edited by SteveH; 25-08-2005 at 04:20 PM.