Thread: Shooting Show-New Airgun 95K vs Scorpion

Shooting Show-New Airgun 95K vs Scorpion

I've been considering a new lighter gun (the 97 is a chunk somedays) and with the British shooting show coming up, it seems the perfect opportunity to pick up a new toy. First up, I am partially sighted and shoot informal targets, cans and silhouettes at a local range, no hunting or Competition, I'd be useless. My mates 99 is too light for me so I've narrowed it down to a HW 95k Or possibly my first PCP, a BSA Scorpion. I don't drive so the normal paraphernalia of PCPs are prohibitive, however the range uses Scorpions and I'd be able to "gas up" there. So which would you choose, the 95 or the Scorpion?
    Cheers
    Steve
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

I have both, can't fault either, great guns

I think it boils down to which route you want to take ,two different animals, both good in their own right.
    I wouldnt limit to the bsa because of charging, I'm sure the club could charge any pcp for you. I'm a fan of the s410/510 and the daystate regal, all good in the weight stakes. Also just bought a hw95 in .22, previously had one in .177, most seem to favour the .22. Also had the hw99 wasn't overly impressed by its magical qualities. I really like my AA Prosport but this is a lump like the 97, but really good quality.
    Whatever you chose have fun, ain't nothing finer than the smell of a new gun - especially walnut !

Cool

My initial concern was if I chose the 95, it may be too similar to my 97. I've shot both the Scorpion and the 95 and liked them both, I'd like both but also value my life! Wife would kill me if I got both. Whichever I choose, it'll be in .22, I don't shoot at distances where the flatter trajectory of 1.77 show some advantage. (Visual disability) .22 makes a better job of flattening cans too 😀. At around £300 the 95 is difficult to ignore but I have enjoyed using a Scorpion which I've seen for around £500.
    .22 HW 110 ST

Have you thought about secondhand? Maybe get both for the price of new bsa.

I have just purchased a hw95 ive tuned in and polished the trigger its shoots smooth there isn't many other break barrels I'd have over it.
    Good luck with wotever you choose pal 👍

Alex.B. is offline Instant Idiot. Just add alcohol.
    Had both , the 97 and 95 are so different you will enjoy shooting both . Also had a scorpion it was like a laser compared to springers, but I'm usually drink impaired so that probably won't help much
    Give a dog a home ! Take a rescue dog home, go on you know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball50 View Post
    My initial concern was if I chose the 95, it may be too similar to my 97. I've shot both the Scorpion and the 95 and liked them both, I'd like both but also value my life! Wife would kill me if I got both. Whichever I choose, it'll be in .22, I don't shoot at distances where the flatter trajectory of 1.77 show some advantage. (Visual disability) .22 makes a better job of flattening cans too 😀. At around £300 the 95 is difficult to ignore but I have enjoyed using a Scorpion which I've seen for around £500.
    I would have thought that a .22 would have a far flatter trajectory than a 1.77 !!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    My 95 is my favourite springer, but it could never compare to my pcp. Having said that, if its target shooting I rarely get to more than 10 shots with the pcp before getting bored.

I would hate to try and guess your IQ, so whatever you choose will be awesome!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Gun choice is yours but with regards to the Shooting Show, check the website for gun dealers attending, make contact re.availabilty and get there early !!
    Lastly, don't readily expect great bargains. Certain items may be on offer but the stand holders are paying out big sums to attend so profit margins will be slim.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball50 View Post
    I've been considering a new lighter gun (the 97 is a chunk somedays) and with the British shooting show coming up, it seems the perfect opportunity to pick up a new toy. First up, I am partially sighted and shoot informal targets, cans and silhouettes at a local range, no hunting or Competition, I'd be useless. My mates 99 is too light for me so I've narrowed it down to a HW 95k Or possibly my first PCP, a BSA Scorpion. I don't drive so the normal paraphernalia of PCPs are prohibitive, however the range uses Scorpions and I'd be able to "gas up" there. So which would you choose, the 95 or the Scorpion?
    Cheers
    Steve
    A 177 Scorpian and 22 HW95

If you had to have one of either a 20 Cal HW95 or a 177 Scorpian ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I have a lovely tune HW95 .177. Its smooth as silk and wants to shoot pellet on pellet. Its also very light weight. However, its tricky to get it to" keep it there". Light weight and a spring just don't do "forgiving". Same goes for my FWB Sports; in truth any light weight spring rifle. Doesn't matter how well tuned or how good a barrel, they are just tricky. They are however great fun and a joy to shoot standing. Fine in the field if you don't stretch the distance beyond the farmyard.

Heavier springers are so much better at staying "there" and even then take smoothing out, short stroking, or anything to make them less hold sensitive.

A PCP whatever weight doesn't have the same problem that a spring and all that wound mechanical energy gives. A lighter weight PCP only has to be kept steady.

Lastly, PCP's can take advantage of higher magnification scopes whereas springers require a smooth shooting style which doesn't allow for faffing with getting sights overly spot on. For springers a fast smooth shooting style, best achieved with lower magnifying scopes that don't encourage hanging about in the cycle, are more inductive to hitting the mark.
    All make very different animals. Your call.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies, I like both guns, but I do like the idea of a foot in either camp, the scorpion I've been using has the Vc silencer and is also single shot. It was a delight to shoot.
    Cheers
    Steve
    .22 HW 110 ST