Thread: Hammer forged barrels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammer forged barrels

I'm sure this is going to be a big ol' can o' worms but...

I have read many reports of how good BSA hammer forged barrels are.

In fullbore rifle, hammer forged barrels tend to be considered less accurate than button or cut rifled barrels.

I am curious about this.

Are BSA the only manufacturer still using hammer forged barrels?

I read that some Steyr owners re-barrel their guns with BSA barrels. This seems contradictory as i would expect Steyr to fit the most accurate barrel possible?

Is it possible that the polishing to the BSA barrel is what makes it more accurate?

Any opinions welcome!

As the barrels don't get heated up on air rifles the difference is pretty much irrelevant, what matters is the production tolerances.

I find some BSA barrels really good and some pretty bad, the best barrels I have tried are the HW and Lothar Walther.

This may help explain a few things. https://youtu.be/HrmWN0igJY0

All down to cost.

I believe that CZ still hammer forge their barrels? (I do stand to be correct though by a more enlightened soul)

ATB
    Mike
    Last edited by happydad; 11-01-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    HFT.......SAVED MY SANITY 🤡
    59er HW100 barreled Steyr Lg110 + Sightron s111 10×42
    Beware the man with one gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    I find some BSA barrels really good and some pretty bad ...
    I have to agree that this must be the case ... especially the older style.

I've had loads of HW barrels that have all been good re air rifle pellets. Same with Falcon barrels which I believe are Lothar Walther and the CZ barrel on my S200 is very accurate.

I've had a few BSA 0.177 barrels and they are basically useless unless you use longer heavier pellets like Bis Mags, JSB Heavies etc.

Whenever there's a thread about BSA barrels ( rifles ) plenty people agree with that but several others will post and say their BSA barrel is excellent with the more popular, and lighter, JSB 8.44gr pellets.

So it seems it's a lottery.

A number of people figured that the BSA method left imperfections in the rifling and that was improved by polishing. Post polishing the accuracy improved.

The later BSA barrels are apparently polished post production and more people have claimed that they shoot the lighter stuff well.

Pushing pellets down my BSA barrels has shown a big variation in tight/slack areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnBoann6CY
    Last edited by bozzer; 11-01-2017 at 06:57 AM.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Im on my 3rd barrel on my TTR1, it took me that long to get one i was happy with.

The original would only shoot Bisley Magnums / Baracuda Match acceptably. I bought a HW blank and its bore was all over the place, couldn't get decent results with anything (confirmed by phil d)

Now on a LW machined to 14 inch that shoots JSB Express very well, but still not found the perfect pellet (unless the Express is it)

It is pretty much pot luck.

On the subject of hammered barrels, i believe Cometa still make their own hammered barrels also. I had one years ago and speak as you find the barrel was very good with accupells at the time. The internals needed work, but the barrel would have been a good donor for a PCP.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

So according to the video, LW make smaller quantities of barrels than BSA as he says Button rifling is for medium quantity and Hammer forging is for mass production...

I'd have thought LW make a lot more than BSA???

Never had a bad BSA barrel