Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
The stocks are made in Italy if I remember correctly and the "Turkish" bit is the wood itself, like "English Walnut" and "American walnut", in the beginning Air Arms used Custom stocks in Sheffield to supply their stocks (including other makers like Theoben and Daystate), I'm sure Air Arms could obtain their barrels from BSA, if they wanted to keep their "made in Britain" label but are BSA barrels as accurate as German barrels, at the end of the day if it's assembled over here and giving someone a job then that's what counts in my eyes, it's companies like Webley or should we say AGS who buy a British company and then rip it apart and have everything made abroad, that's why I say we should all be buying British but then like I've already said how can AA compete against HW's product range or even Diana or Gamo but if they can make one decent break barrel rifle and convert it simply by changing the latch rod for different powers levels then it may well work, considering they only really have the TX and PS in the range as well.

Pete
From the interweb, below. It's on the ball about the UK Sale of Goods Act.

A lot of highly priced Italian clothing, for example, is actually made in the developing world, but the buttons are sewn on in Italy. At least that's what I have heard.

"_ Where is the country of origin?
Goods are deemed to have been manufactured or produced in the country in which they last underwent a treatment or process resulting in a substantial change.
The term "substantial change'1 is not defined in the Act, although an Order made under it explicitly states that the process of silver-plating stainless-steel cutlery does not constitute a "substantial change". Generally, therefore, the meaning of this phrase is left to the trader to determine, but it would ultimately be for a court to decide, taking account of an ordinary person's perception of the circumstances surrounding the individual case, whether the particular country or place specified is indeed where the last substantial change took place. For example, placing a finished product into a container or outer box or carrying out a simple finishing process on a product would probably not be considered to be substantially changing the nature of the product. On the other hand. creating a garment from cloth, albeit imported. would be likely to be considered to result in such a change. If you are in doubt about where your goods originate, you should consult your local Trading Standards Office, or seek legal advice.

It should be emphasised that it is not just country of origin statements which may mislead. Statements about a town, county or region, etc are also covered by the Act, as are any other statements about origin."