Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't Air Arms make break barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I really have know idea why AA don't make a break barrel, plenty of people buy there TX.....
    I would of thought that they have done numerous trials of a break barrel based on the TX type but came to the result of that fixed barrel is better, thus the TX continues.

They could easily take up the vaccum left by Rapid/Impact if they wanted. Webely and the BSA are no longer thought of as highly as used to and are not really English anymore. A factory tuned bearkbarrel with a decent walnut stock, fit for purpose, about the £450.00 mark will have a viable market.

A.G

AA seem to prefer small changes.

They stick with what works.

Look at the S400/410 series for example. How long have they been around? And even the HFT500 and Ultimate Sporter look like derivatives of that design.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Unfortunately not enough people buy British made products and instantly think German stuff is better, you've already proved why because you bought a 97(when you could have chose British and got a TX or PS) and you're already set on buying a 95, if all shooters in the UK instantly bought AA instead of HW, then they would have the lions share of the market and no excuse not to make a break barrel, the other problem is HW have too many to choose from in their range to cater for the masses and if AA did bring out a break barrel it would be torn to pieces by the shooting fraternity as it wouldn't be perfect for them as they would have "expected more" from such a prestigious maker, the problem is AA now have to supply the rest of the world and not all countries have such low power restrictions as the UK, so it's difficult to have a happy medium for all and for them to produce a rifle just for the UK power limit is risky business but if they had HW's share of the market as well then they probably would.

Slightly off topic, someone else pointed out a few months ago that Custom stocks in Sheffield had hardly sold any stocks for the HW99 although all you 99 owners came on here whinging months before about the lack of nice stocks available and when they do start making one they have hardly any sales, would that be the same case with a break barrel from AA, would we actually buy one if they made one? would you sell your 95 to fund one? I think people know my answer to that question.

Pete
    I was interested, but Custom Stocks stick with the same few basic designs. I like the CS500, but it isn't suitable for a slim springer like the 99s. It's just too big and chunky.

I understand why they do this. Bringing out something entirely new is expensive, and who knows how well it will sell? Relatively few springer owners are prepared to pay 250 quid for a stock to go on a gun that doesn't cost much more - less in the case of the 99s.

If they had produced something different for the 99s I personally would have been tempted. But how many other punters would?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Flooded market for break barrelled springers.
    Any premium rifle would have to show premium accuracy and shooting ability which wouldn't be easy to achieve in a break barrel.
    Bent barrels from use are a common issue with break barrelled rifles; which in plus 12 ft/lbs guns is even more of an issue especially if "left to fly".
    Break barrel rifles tend to be more sporty and lighter weight. Far less forgiving and difficult to shoot well than a heavy weight underlever. Gasram a slightly more forgiving power plant to use, but then someone else does those well already.

Add it all up a premium break barrel springer would be a heap of trouble.

AA already make two fantastic spring guns which do shoot straight and look fantastic. A type worth the premium as they ooze quality and will last so a pleasure to own.
    Better to invest in the new technology which is PCP.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    The short answer is that their first offering was a failure. They are a very profit-orientated company and bearing in mind they don't even make a left handed Pro Sport because of limited demand says it all. They have concentrated their resources in making high value rifles and that I suspect is where they will stay.
    And "high value" PCP's at that Nick !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball50 View Post
    I really think AA are missing a trick. I'm thinking about picking up a 95K next month, I'd love to have the dilemma of choosing an Air Arms product as I did when buying my 97KT.
    Agreed on that......

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    The short answer is that their first offering was a failure. They are a very profit-orientated company and bearing in mind they don't even make a left handed Pro Sport because of limited demand says it all. They have concentrated their resources in making high value rifles and that I suspect is where they will stay.
    I'd be willing to pay for it. Why would they not make money on a British made premium BB if they can turn a profit on the TX and PS?

Their PCPs do nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Flooded market for break barrelled springers.
    Any premium rifle would have to show premium accuracy and shooting ability which wouldn't be easy to achieve in a break barrel.
    Bent barrels from use are a common issue with break barrelled rifles; which in plus 12 ft/lbs guns is even more of an issue especially if "left to fly".
    Break barrel rifles tend to be more sporty and lighter weight. Far less forgiving and difficult to shoot well than a heavy weight underlever. Gasram a slightly more forgiving power plant to use, but then someone else does those well already.

Add it all up a premium break barrel springer would be a heap of trouble.

AA already make two fantastic spring guns which do shoot straight and look fantastic. A type worth the premium as they ooze quality and will last so a pleasure to own.
    Better to invest in the new technology which is PCP.
    Sorry, Muskett, would have to disagree.

There are many, many "full power" break barrels out there that have absolutely zero issues with bent barrels. And, especially with a more pricey, premium product that will attract users exhibiting safe gun handling skills - although this should apply to all guns, of course.

Many break barrel springers are easy to use accurately and are forgiving to shoot.

I really think there would be a very receptive market for a top-end, high quality all-British break barrel. And if they developed, say, three different length latch rods to suit our market, higher and lower power markets, it would attract global buyers.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sorry, Muskett, would have to disagree.

There are many, many "full power" break barrels out there that have absolutely zero issues with bent barrels. And, especially with a more pricey, premium product that will attract users exhibiting safe gun handling skills - although this should apply to all guns, of course.

Many break barrel springers are easy to use accurately and are forgiving to shoot.

I really think there would be a very receptive market for a top-end, high quality all-British break barrel. And if they developed, say, three different length latch rods to suit our market, higher and lower power markets, it would attract global buyers.
    You might be right but I suspect most of us are quite happy with HW springers to the extent that they don't want an underlever. AA are interested in PROFIT not vanity and their experience with break barrel isn't good.
    By the way you do realise that the barrels on Air arms rifles are German? Already one important component -possibly THE most important-of a 'British' rifle is a 'German' barrel.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I much prefer a break barrel air rifle, love them, use one all the time.

Just giving the reason why I think AA isn't going to do one.
    I've seen a lot of bent barrels on break barrel air rifles from nearly every maker. Its the reason why I have a few fixed barreled rifles too. But, given a choice, I prefer break barrelled air rifles as I can get more shooting done

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    I'd be willing to pay for it. Why would they not make money on a British made premium BB if they can turn a profit on the TX and PS?

Their PCPs do nothing for me.
    You are speaking purely personally. You may well be prepared to buy one but that doesn't make it a viable business proposition. The market is crowded AND their history with the PE will make them extra cautious.
    AA have limited production space and choose to use that in making higher added value PCPs'.
    Don't get me wrong-if they made a break barrel I'd certainly look to buy one too but I won't be holding my breath.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

If I was them I'd cease making the Pro-Sport and replace it with a break barrel around the same quality and price

The UK isn't the biggest market for airguns.

The US is. The Pro Elite was designed for the US market. It had potential to take lots of sales off the HW80 and put a big dent in sales of the Diana 48/52. And the TX/PS.

For whatever reason, it just didn't catch on. Americans just didn't seem to want a more expensive more powerful HW80 class rifle, despite the fact that they love TXs. So I understand AA's caution.

I think the chances of them making a UK/Germany 12 ft/lbs (16J) level break-barrel are about zero. The market is already crowded and it would have to be very special to persuade enough people to pay a premium over an HW or Diana. It would risk ending up like the recent FWB Sport.

Geezer, Muskett and Rapidnick - all excellent, valid points.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!