Thread: Steyr H5 failing to index

Steyr H5 failing to index

Hi, I'm having a problem which has only just started to occur and I must have had the rifle well over a year. I've not shot the rifle for two weeks and went to shoot it tonight and found the magazines (most of them) ridiculously difficult to load. Three of my four magazines are extremely difficult to load and if I do push them in they wont index. The fourth one works fine. Now they've all worked equally well in the past but over the last couple of outings to the range I started having snags with the mags. I actually thought it was down to the pellets so I resized them just to be sure.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what's wrong?

Just to be clear this is the manual version, but I can't see how that would make a difference.

The fact that it's fine with one mag is what is really puzzling me but might also mean it's not a problem with the rifle
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    My bet would be that the barrels taken a knock to the end making the magazines tight to the breech. Reset the barrel and see if that fixes it.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Mine had the same issue, Rob. There is a video on the Steyr website showing how to reset it. Undo two screws on top, free the barrel, butt it up to a magazine, nip one screw and tighten the other. They bear on opposing sloping faces so they apply an axial force to the barrel as they clamp it down.

The mags are such a good fit it only needs the tiniest movement to turn a sliding fit into an interference fit. A variation of just a few microns on mag width might be the case.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Cheers Rich. I will try that later. Might find sizing all those 7.9s wasn't necessary after all!!
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    Cheers Rich. I will try that later. Might find sizing all those 7.9s wasn't necessary after all!!
    How did you get on Rob, did it work?

Evening all.
    OK, had a quick look tonight and it was the magazine indexing screw. Just followed the instructions in the Steyr service video, and job done and I'm a little bit wiser now with the H5. Shame there aren't more service videos on the H5 but hopefully I won't need anymore anyway!

I have to say part of the reason I have three Steyrs is the ease of maintenance, partly due to the service videos.

Thanks for the steer Tinbum and Rich (should have gone straight therein the first place).