Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55

Thread: Is it wrong...

  1. #31
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hedge End, Nowhere near Snock or Eastleigh anymore
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    He hasn't!



















    Has he??????
    Well we know he'd happily fnck one of them

    Pete
    BSA Challenger Mercury Lightning .25 ~ BSA Mercury Challenger Lightning .177 ~ BSA Mercury S .22 ~ BSA Airsporter S carbine .22 ~ BSA Challenger .22 ~ Air Arms Prosport .177 ~ Theoben Sirocco 2000 .177 ~ Air Arms Combat .22 ~ Brocock Independant .177.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dunfermline.
    Posts
    138
    I never had a 35 for a long time.
    I thought they were an old outdated design for enthusiasts .
    That was until I was given a .22 one from 1983.
    Well built, smooth to shoot, nice weight and mine is just so accurate I smile when I use it .
    I'm a total convert, from now on there will be space in my cabinet for one.
    It's a far better gun than any of the 77s I've had .

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Worcester
    Posts
    529
    Hmm, I'm in 2 minds about the HW 35. Bought a new one in .177 a few years back (2013?), it was not nice, got sent back to HC for a rebuild, still not good, but not nearly as twangy.
    But bought an early '90's one in .22, & it's a different animal. At first I thought it had a weak spring, until I checked it on a chrono. Much smoother, just as powerful.
    Too many guns is nearly, but not quite, enough.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    wigan
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    20mpg and a staggering 12 second 0-62!! Ok, I concede. Old stuff rocks!
    The V8 BGT ?.0-60 in 8 sec and 130 mph.
    BSA Ultra SE (.22). Air Arms s400 Superlite (.177). HW 100 ks FSB (.177). HW 99s, (.177). Air Arms TX200 HC (.177). HW 35 .22 (1995).

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

    As for the 35 it is still popular and there must be a reason for that. Most of the haters don't like it because they find it ugly. Those who love it praise its elegant, classic lines. I am in the latter category.
    I'm not sure I'd heap that much praise on the looks, but I class myself as a "like" rather than "loathe". I suppose I'll just have to shoot one.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Fully agree.

    And, don't take young Tinners TOO seriously regarding this matter. He likes a bit of banter and jest, y'know. And I have seen him concede that they are, indeed, excellent rifles. He just has an issue with the looks, that's it. And, as we all know, looks are very subjective and personal.

    He did once tell us why he has this historical hatred for them, but I really can't remember what reason he gave us.
    I did wonder if there was a technical or engineering reason for the, clearly, deep-seated dislike of it...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bude, Cornwall
    Posts
    10,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    I did wonder if there was a technical or engineering reason for the, clearly, deep-seated dislike of it...

    Way back in the dawn of time (around 1985) me and my mates had air rifles. FWB, Airsporter, HW80 and an ancient and very poor Hw35. The 35 belonged to Tim, or rather his dad. We all know a Tim, he's the kind that'll sit in a tree for three hours to know what its like to be a squirrel. He's the sort that'll strip all the bluing off his dads air rifle, and all the varnish so he can paint it camo. Badly! So, the gun was massivley oversized with that ridiculous (and bent) barrel, it was painted many kinds of gloss (which still didn't hide those 1950's wooden pencil case grooves down the side of the stock) and to top it all he used to make his own pellets by drilling holes in a plank of wood and tipping molten lead into it! The whole cumulative experience of being near an HW35 was one of wonder at the crap design, looks and performance.

    Since then whenever I think of a 35 I get a tight little knot of anger deep inside me. I loathe them!
    Patience; N. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    75
    Bought these two recently, the export is doing around 11.2ft llbs and is really smooth and accurate. Its dated 1977 and a lovely user rifle. The shorter one is loud and twangy and under powered (dated 1976). I'm really looking forward to replacing the spring and tuning it up. They are then going to be used by guests and friends, when i take them out to a local air rifle range, for a plink. Ive just sourced a moderator for the shorter one, which should at least improve it a little. I really appreciate the build quality and perforance of them, i also prefer them to the standed HW 77 of the same period. But i dont think they are as nice as the HW 80 of the same period.

    I would certainly get one if you fancied one and enjoy it.


    http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...psoiqzcwg0.jpg

    Cheers.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Retford, Notts
    Posts
    14,179
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Way back in the dawn of time (around 1985) me and my mates had air rifles. FWB, Airsporter, HW80 and an ancient and very poor Hw35. The 35 belonged to Tim, or rather his dad. We all know a Tim, he's the kind that'll sit in a tree for three hours to know what its like to be a squirrel. He's the sort that'll strip all the bluing off his dads air rifle, and all the varnish so he can paint it camo. Badly! So, the gun was massivley oversized with that ridiculous (and bent) barrel, it was painted many kinds of gloss (which still didn't hide those 1950's wooden pencil case grooves down the side of the stock) and to top it all he used to make his own pellets by drilling holes in a plank of wood and tipping molten lead into it! The whole cumulative experience of being near an HW35 was one of wonder at the crap design, looks and performance.

    Since then whenever I think of a 35 I get a tight little knot of anger deep inside me. I loathe them!
    'Kin 'ell, Nick!

    No wonder you show so much hatred towards this rifle after such an introduction.

    And Tim sounds like a right muppet!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. BOINGING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- APRIL 1/2.
    BOING!!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    11,226
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Hmm, I'm in 2 minds about the HW 35. Bought a new one in .177 a few years back (2013?), it was not nice, got sent back to HC for a rebuild, still not good, but not nearly as twangy.
    But bought an early '90's one in .22, & it's a different animal. At first I thought it had a weak spring, until I checked it on a chrono. Much smoother, just as powerful.
    Different calibre.
    Arthur

    I wish I was in the land of cotton.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bude, Cornwall
    Posts
    10,855
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    'Kin 'ell, Nick!

    No wonder you show so much hatred towards this rifle after such an introduction.

    And Tim sounds like a right muppet!

    See? Its nothing personal! I've even worked on them.
    Patience; N. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    A-9063 MARIA SAAL
    Posts
    72
    HW35's are something special on their own.
    Mine was my very first AG and the one I started fettling with many years after the purchase.
    Still love it.

    One thing you should know:
    Simultaneously to the introduction of the HW77 in 1980 the HW35 design was changed from leather to synthetic piston seal (from ser.no. 843636 on).

    The transfer port size of the leather seal models was about 4,2 mm.
    If nowadays you like to switch such an old system to a synthetic seal, easy-peasy with an adapter, the TP-size should consequently be reduced to about 3,0 mm.

    Easily done by gluing in a brass tube like the ones available here:
    http://wasana-airgun-tuning.de/shop/sonstiges/
    Please scroll down little bit to:
    Messingröhrchen 4 x 0,5 x 30mm für HW35 alt

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Glasvegas
    Posts
    686
    You must have been right posh making pellets, what I had and used when I ran out we dug them out of fence posts and reused them by squishing them in the tap of my Airsporter with a nail, I be heard of people on some ranges dropping a pellet and not picking it up,,,,,,, what's the idea with that? I'd have a bit of gum on my shoe and go along Riverdancing picking them up.

    Nice things happen to nice people.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bergen, Western Norway
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    HW35's are something special on their own.
    The transfer port size of the leather seal models was about 4,2 mm.
    If nowadays you like to switch such an old system to a synthetic seal, easy-peasy with an adapter, the TP-size should consequently be reduced to about 3,0 mm.

    Easily done by gluing in a brass tube like the ones available here:
    http://wasana-airgun-tuning.de/shop/sonstiges/
    Please scroll down little bit to:
    Messingröhrchen 4 x 0,5 x 30mm für HW35 alt
    Mine is a 1980 leather, now plastic piston seal. Nothing done to the TP but the rifle works just fine, consistent at about 220 m/s with JSB Exacts.

    http://barx.org/airguns/?id=hw_35
    Last edited by vestlenning; 12-01-2017 at 11:07 PM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    HW35's are something special on their own.
    Mine was my very first AG and the one I started fettling with many years after the purchase.
    Still love it.

    One thing you should know:
    Simultaneously to the introduction of the HW77 in 1980 the HW35 design was changed from leather to synthetic piston seal (from ser.no. 843636 on).

    The transfer port size of the leather seal models was about 4,2 mm.
    If nowadays you like to switch such an old system to a synthetic seal, easy-peasy with an adapter, the TP-size should consequently be reduced to about 3,0 mm.

    Easily done by gluing in a brass tube like the ones available here:
    http://wasana-airgun-tuning.de/shop/sonstiges/
    Please scroll down little bit to:
    Messingröhrchen 4 x 0,5 x 30mm für HW35 alt
    I think that is correct on the 35 TPs and seals.

    On a point of detail, the 77 came out in 1984. The 35 TP/seal change happened earlier and independently of changes to the 35.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •