Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to like my BSA Stutzen

Struggling to like my BSA Stutzen

I recently bought a BSA Stutzen RB, its a lovely thing to look it and hold, in this respect I really like it.

Im not an open sights person so much, (it didnt come with these anyway) and I see most pics of these late model Stutzens fitted with a scope, but unfortunately this is where it all goes wrong for me.... the butt just seems too long when shouldered, pulling the scope back too far, and the maxi rail pushes the scope too high, the rifle just dosnt seem designed for use with a scope? What are the chances of finding open sights for it?

Are older tap loaders better for scope mounting, or are they much the same?

Cheers!
    Thanks - Geoff.

From reading old Airgun Worlds recently the open sights were an optional extra and this is shown in advert pages, so you're not gonna pick them up easily.
    Nice things happen to nice people.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Try the Sportsmatch mount with the extended rear, it suits Airsporters and Mercurys especially. I think it's the OP12C but not certain ?
    I use one of these with a period Japanese 4x32 Tasco on my RB2 .22 Stutzen and I like it !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Try the Sportsmatch mount with the extended rear, it suits Airsporters and Mercurys especially. I think it's the OP12C but not certain ?
    I use one of these with a period Japanese 4x32 Tasco on my RB2 .22 Stutzen and I like it !
    Similar set up on my Mk5, with the Sportsmatch mount and a period Bushnell 6x32.

Knibbs appears to sell the rear sight (which I think is a Williams of some kind). Or you could use a Williams receiver sight.

Isn't the front sight the standard Airsporter/Scorpion/Mercury/etc one? That shouldn't be hard to track down.

Knibbs are out of stock on the rearsight, if anyone has any leads on one, please let me know, I will give it a go open sighted.

Cheers!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Try Protek,

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk

best phone them to see what they have,

ATB

Lee

This is how the scope on my Stutzen RB2 is mounted. I don't know who adapted this mount but I have a spare!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jez810h5ym...scope.jpg?dl=0

Struggling to like my BSA Stutzen

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I recently bought a BSA Stutzen RB, its a lovely thing to look it and hold, in this respect I really like it.

Im not an open sights person so much, (it didnt come with these anyway) and I see most pics of these late model Stutzens fitted with a scope, but unfortunately this is where it all goes wrong for me.... the butt just seems too long when shouldered, pulling the scope back too far, and the maxi rail pushes the scope too high, the rifle just dosnt seem designed for use with a scope? What are the chances of finding open sights for it?

Are older tap loaders better for scope mounting, or are they much the same?

Cheers!
    The older tap loaders are worse guns than the rb & although you'd save 5mm on mount height suffer from the same mounting problems.Try a small objective scope, simmons whitetail or 8-point, on reach back low mounts. Suits my challenger fine & any bsa airsporter/mercury.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    This is how the scope on my Stutzen RB2 is mounted. I don't know who adapted this mount but I have a spare!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jez810h5ym...scope.jpg?dl=0
    Yep, Someone ground the rear part to make it reachback instead of a standard one piece!!

I recently bough a steel Apel reachback mount for one of my Airsporters or Mercury, Still haven't gotten round to fitting it yet so can't include a pic..

The Raised Maxi grip rails on the Stutzen, Superstar and certain other Beesas are actually a 14mm mount, I had two Lightnings and both came with the wrong mounts as they were standard and I couldn't adjust the windage enough (T'was fully 5" wide to the right with full left adjustment!!)

Found a pic of the Apel but not fitted to a gun!

I bought these mounts some years ago that were made in Ozzie land, They can be centred for windage but aren't reachback so don't really help much

I actually bought a reach back two piece Sportsmatch mount set a few weeks ago, Can't remember what I did with it, Looked through my pics and it doesn't seem to be on any of my guns

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Just a thought, and please correct me if I am on the wrong track, but how about a long eye relief scope. I bought a Burris Timberline on this site and was amazed at the length of eye relief. There must be scopes out there that will fit the bill

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Just a thought, and please correct me if I am on the wrong track, but how about a long eye relief scope. I bought a Burris Timberline on this site and was amazed at the length of eye relief. There must be scopes out there that will fit the bill
    That's a good point. Maybe a shotgun or even a pistol scope?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

thanks all.
    I did try a Burris for long eye relief, but still upset by how high the scope is compared to the comb.

Maybe i need to stick with the open sights on this one, if i can get hold of one!

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.

A Williams peep with a standard BSA foresight may be the best option Geoff. Look up the Williams on line as they have also been marketed as the Beeman aperture sight.

Kind regards,

John

Maybe a nice leather cheek riser would go nice with the Stutzen... I can see it now and like the thought... I wish I was having your problems!!!
    http://brassstacker.com/mauser/Mause...-Carriers.html
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    thanks all.
    I did try a Burris for long eye relief, but still upset by how high the scope is compared to the comb.

Maybe i need to stick with the open sights on this one, if i can get hold of one!

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    A Williams peep with a standard BSA foresight may be the best option Geoff. Look up the Williams on line as they have also been marketed as the Beeman aperture sight.

Kind regards,

John
    Leupolds have longer than standard eye relief. A nice gloss M8 4x28 or 32 would suit a Stutzen.

And if you go for the Williams, find an older one with click adjustments. The current ones all involve a lot of fiddling with screws.