Thread: Help with a BSA Standard No 2 and who could service this?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help with a BSA Standard No 2 and who could service this?

I am a new member but have received some magnificent guidance from the site's members, which has provided invaluable information for someone who is rediscovering his teenage interest in air rifles. I therefore thought it worth starting a new thread about the BSA Standard No2 (.22), which might be of interest to others and outsiders who might find this site from an internet search, as I did.

I bought a reconditioned BSA Standard from John Knibbs in 1998, which was also re-blued. I discovered, at that time, it could achieve 3/4in groupings, or better, from a cushion rest at 20-25yrds. Alas, it only did some 8ft/lbs and I have used it little since then but am glad to have it as a collector's piece, with its long history. I especially like the foresight bead - which makes hitting a target much easier.

Anyway, from my earlier thread here, on the Webley Mk3, I learnt about the loading tap test, where one cocks the rifle and then opens the loading tap. Gradually releasing the cocking lever, there should then be some resistance and, towards the end of the return of the underlever to its uncocked,flat position, if the loading tap is opened, there should be a 'whoosh'. If so, there will be tight seals.

There was no 'whoosh', however, and I could feel a slight escape of air from that general area around the loading tap. I now believe it needs attention but who has the expertise to attend to this, I wonder? I am in West Sussex but could send it for some expert attention (for which I would pay a fee). Can anyone assist? I fear an ordinary gunsmith will not have this degree of expertise and it needs some expertise, perhaps from another collector.

I am informed that this rifle should do about 11ft/lbs+ and I would like to obtain that type of power from it, if that is possible, with original materials where feasible.

A further question: what are the best pellets to use for this rifle, I wonder, given the cessation of Eley Wasp?

Meanwhile, I am rather keen to obtain some old Eley Wasps. Anyone any idea where to find them? There is nothing on *bay.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Rgds
    Andrew.
    Last edited by andrewM; 11-01-2017 at 12:24 AM.