Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with a BSA Standard No 2 and who could service this?

Advice much appreciated

Many thanks Gingernut.

The advice here is very good and I am pleased I discussed things here before proceeding with the theories of others. 20 years ago, before the internet, I would have been in the hands of the gunsmith. I had no idea that silicone was so damaging to metal.

Rgds
    A

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    If it's shooting accurately and smoothly, and you don't want it for hunting, why chase 11ft/lbs. Millions of Meteors, Diana 27s/G80s, Gamo, Haenels etc. etc. all run at about 8ft/lbs and are great back yard shooters.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Thanks, Harry mac. Two reasons, really:

1 To bring it back to where it used to be, at the point of manufacture.
    2 Because I wish to take occasional pots at rabbits in the garden.

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    2 Because I wish to take occasional pots at rabbits in the garden.

Rgds
    A
    By which you mean "eliminate pests with the most humane tool possible after exhausting other means of deterring them from eating my garden vegetables" - the legally compliant (and politically correct) version of what you said.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Andrew it was good to talk to you last night. Sorry I had to cut it short for my tea

Just to clarify, the number that matched up with the tap is normally right up by the underlever pivot point, and is not normally visible until you remove the main underlever arm. The number on the tap needs to match the same number on its corresponding breech block. Number on the trigger block is different in a lot of cases.

Also I echo Edbears words about finding the right spring combination that is right for the gun. Just because your gun was rebuilt, doesnt mean that optimum parts were specially selected for the rebuild - in fact probably the opposite. Since money and time had already been spent on the re-furb, it is likely that the old used spring was put back into the gun before its sale. Most owners of these guns are not especially concerned with high levels of power. Sweet shooting cycles, leading to better accuracy are more important.

Trial and error will lead to you finding the right combination of lubrication, spring choice and pellet selection in order to obtain maximum accuracy. Dont forget the deep clean of the barrel, as chances are it will be the first time that the barrel may have been cleaned since manufacture.

Now that you have my contact details, ring me if you get stuck or need more info

Kind Regards

Andy

Ongoings

Thanks Garvin and Lakey.

Garvin, I am reminded about the fellow who called a spade 'an instrument for removing alluvial deposits'! I might have said that I wished to shoot squirrels and rabbits. The former steal the fruit and the latter are another pest. Still, one feels a degree of satisfaction doing so with open sights and an old weapon. These modern pre-charged devices make it impossible to miss, so long as an understanding of hold-over and hold-under is appreciated. Apparently, the first class Attenborough wildlife programmes now refuse to screen killings because it is politically-incorrect. One really could not make it up. Pity no one told the leopard!

Lakey, I am most grateful to you and thank you. I have taken the easy option and handed the rifle to Protek today to fiddle with it. The owner seems to know his stuff but I am going to email him with some of your suggestions - for good measure!

Rgds
    A

Hi Andrew.
    You have had well qualified advice from members on this site. They are non-BS and many have helped me immeasurably over my time here, both directly and from the many interesting threads.
    About leaking taps.
    I have a IMD that came to me complete but in bits.
    Upon assembly it was found that the loading tap was not a matched item and seated too deep.
    We tried a couple from 'projects' that we had access to and a few that were sent for trial by a good friend but none came any closer to what was required.
    I knew of a good electroplater who used to chrome my bike stuff in my youth.
    So the tap was delivered with some other items requiring attention and copper plated. When it came back, some considerable time was spent cleaning up the excess; and then the lapping in.
    In hindsight, if I had need to do this again, I would mask it off myself and consider nickel plate for the aesthetics. How nickel would hold up is another question.
    The copper plate is not that apparent and the main thing is, that it works well.
    How long will it endure? I will post here when and if it buggers up.
    The BSA has been complete now for some time and not shot often, is a pleasure to shoot. The mainspring is an old used item and although it only attains an average of 540fps (with Ely match pellets), I am more than pleased to have it functioning again.

Good luck with yours.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 15-01-2017 at 11:38 AM.