Thread: BSA Airsporter (?) sights?

BSA Airsporter (?) sights?

Ok, so I picked up a bunch of old rear sights fairly cheaply. What swung it for me was 2 were clearly 1970s-90s BSA ones. They appear to be metal (is that "Kemetal"?) and both have a riser block below them. Are they from the S variants of the Airsporter or Mercury, or something else?

And if anyone has a good condition rear sight for a Mk5 Airsporter, the one with the integral raised rail thing on the receiver, drop me a line.

I've seen sight risers fitted to Supersports with the Maxgrip scope rails.

All the best Mick

Interesting, thanks Mick.

I thought Airsporter S as they have a larger diameter barrel, so I was thinking they might have put a riser under the rear sight.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I thought Airsporter S as they have a larger diameter barrel, so I was thinking they might have put a riser under the rear sight.
    Also on the superstar and goldstar, as the muzzle weight/silencer jobbie pushed up the foresight...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

You used a riser under the BSA sight when it was mounted on the rear of the Mk5 Meteor cylinder when using the peep sight. I can't remember if the Scorpion didn't have the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Neither of my Airsporter Ss have riser blocks, the larger barrel diameter effectively raises both sight by the same amount above the barrel centre line so a block isn't required.

Jon's explanation makes most sense for the need for a riser block.

All the best Mick

Thanks, guys. I should stop being lazy and go get my Superstar out of the cabinet and compare them.