Thread: Are these numbers sufficient to squirrel hunt with a old Crosman 102?

Are these numbers sufficient to squirrel hunt with a old Crosman 102?

Total rookie to air gun hunting but love the feel of the carbine, no recoil, vs. my Beeman R1, and the peep sights work really well with my old eyes. My 102 is hitting 537 FPS with a RWS 22 cal. 11.9 Hobby with 6 pumps. 10 pumps takes it to about 600 FPS or 9.4 foot pounds. I can probably get within 10-15 yards of a squirrel where I live. Given the age of the gun I would like to keep it to 6 pumps but 10 didn't seem to be a strain. Not going to tune up the Crosman, it's vintage and I'm not going to fix what's not broken. Got the R1 if needed. Just curious?

power is a bit down I think but should drop a tree rat if your only shooting close

A lot of us over this dude of the pond grew up in a time where most air rifles struggled to get much beyond 10 ft/lbs, and they did the job just fine on things like squirrels.

Pneumatics tend to make higher power with heavier pellets, whereas your Hobbys are about as light as a lead pellet gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    A lot of us over this dude of the pond grew up in a time where most air rifles struggled to get much beyond 10 ft/lbs, and they did the job just fine on things like squirrels.

Pneumatics tend to make higher power with heavier pellets, whereas your Hobbys are about as light as a lead pellet gets.
    Didn't know that. Will try a heavier pellet.

Yes, but as ever its shot perfect placement with only about 3ft/lbs at the target end required on squirrel.

Unscrewed the hammer knob and left two pumps in it overnight and it did not hold the air. Been using SAE 20 ND oil, may try some Crosman Pell oil and see if that makes a difference. May need to get it resealed to get max power.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Geezer you were right on; tried a Crosman 14.3 grain doomed pellet and got the same speeds as the lighter hobbies. With 10 pumps I was still at 597 with the heavier pellet made 11.30 foot pounds.