Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Rested Target Air Rifle.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Bench Rested Target Air Rifle.

Thought I would air this question on here with you Guys.
    I've no experience of the above but last year I joined an indoor club with a 33 yard indoor range with future plans to increase this.
    I'm considering acquiring a quality .177 target rifle and as such, I'd appreciate some recommendations as what to buy, scope included ?
    The rifle would be used exclusively for the above purpose and not for sporting use.
    Budget 2k for the right combo !
    Thanks.

Oh, and it must be Left Handed !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 12-01-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I too was thinking about this, I currently have a few target type guns which I use - Steyr LG110HFT/Daystate Grey Shadow being my two favourites, but adding to the party I was thinking about the TM1000 from RAW, and the Walther Dommi 400? There is a few bits around about the Feinwerkbau 800 in various guises - but I think you have to get work done on it to get it to 12ft/lb?? I also had an FTP900 which was very nice and may be worth thinking about, I sold mine a few months back as I was gathering too many, but it was a very good gun. The FX range - particularly the Boss seems to do well in the American Extreme bench Rest competitions, but I think this is more to do with the large calibre FAC versions at .25 and .30 rather than the sub 12fpe ones we see in this country which don't seem to be used much over there - if we had their gun laws you would be shooting these too!

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Looked at the Air Arms range and they dont really excite me. That may not be a fair statement as I've never owned one let alone shot one.
    There's the German collective and I'm sure they are the "Bee's Knees" but what else is out there ?

The RAW stable may be the way to go, that way I'd get a bespoke Left Hand rifle and action ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I've no experience of the above but last year I joined an indoor club with a 33 yard indoor range with future plans to increase this.
    I'm considering acquiring a quality .177 target rifle and as such, I'd appreciate some recommendations as what to buy, scope included ?
    The rifle would be used exclusively for the above purpose and not for sporting use.
    Thanks.

Email sent

It's not entirely clear if you will be competing in formal bench rest competitions or if it's just for fun at the club range. If competing there is actually a bench rest organisation with rules that may be of interest:

http://www.ukbr22.org.uk/index.php/home/ukbr22-rules

Many of the bench rest classes have a weight limit of 10.5 lbs including a scope which may be something to consider if you were going down the competition route. This could limit you in terms of rifle/scope combinations as some of the target rifles mentioned in this thread such as the FTP900 weigh more than that for the rifle alone. There is a heavy varmint class though which does allow heavier guns. I wouldn't rush out and buy a gun right away in any case. Attend the club a few times to see if it's for you and exactly what type of shooting interests you. You may end up liking something totally different such as 10m air rifle or even field target/HFT.

I'm using the FWB 800X and absolutely love it for use at my indoor range, targets there are about 35 yards max

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhurst View Post
    I'm using the FWB 800X and absolutely love it for use at my indoor range, targets there are about 35 yards max
    Did you have it reconfigured as 12fpe, and if so where and what is it like?

Give us the juicy details

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

UKBR22 is one set of rules, the NSRA rules differ substantially.

At our club we currently have 17 members actively competing in bench rest - in our case at 20 yards - shooting to NSRA rules.

The highest scoring member uses a S400 action in a home made aluminium box section stock (originally from Darren Petts) and he has a 18x scope on top.

The second highest scoring member uses a Walther, can't recall the model but it's the FT rifle with the long hamster, and he has a Bushnell 6-24 sidewheel scope on top.

I'm in third place with a S400 with the long air cylinder and a Falcon T35 on top.

Last season the Walther guy had the best average 194.2, another chap with a BSA R10 was second 193.9 and I was third (again) 193.2.

So there isn't much in it. Do you need to spend £2k?

For what it's worth, I shot this discipline originally with an EV2 mark 1, changed to a Hammerli and improved my scores, changed to the long S400 and stayed about the same level.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

At my club we have 11 BR shooters,the AAS400 and its varients is the most common rifle,then their is a Daystate and three HW100's.
    Scopes vary a great deal,been quite a lot of glass coming and going,both cheap and expensive usually something around 4-32 ish. but most only shoot with a setting around 16-18.
    Almost to a man the AA Fields in 4.51 and 4.52 rein supreme,we have a drawer full of various brands and sizes of pellets that have been purchased,tested and then put in the drawer for the next man to try,good idea though as you never know?
    There isnt much in it in the accuracy stakes but recently a couple of HW100'S do appear to be showing a couple of points lead over the AA400 series.of course they also cost 25-50% more and weigh a lot more too,an advantage in BR.
    Quite a few use the same rifles for standing 20 yds as well so big scopes and heavier guns can also be a penalty.
    There have been and still are some very expensive bits of kit appearing, they have usually been found to not be any better than the run of the mill PCP sporters!you name it we have probably seen it on the range.But if it glitters and you have the cash,then why not?
    Our club shoots at 25 yds under Yorkshire rules so no rear bags to support the butt.
    If you think about it the modern PCP is an extremely accurate piece of kit with a price tag from £400 up,you pays your money and takes your choice!Because it has a fancy name or model no you may be disapointed that a guy with an average common PCPcan beat you,but then thats surely what its all about?
    There are 5 of us at our club and 7 at another club that are shooting the same targets in an inter club "recoiling springer " comp.now if you realy want a BR challenge?then this it! real satisfaction if you hit a ten! and buy a round for a plus one!!and i dont think there are two springers the same being used!BUT,WE ALL HAVE A BIG SMILE ON OUR FACES!Probably because we dont need divers bottles or pumps?
    ENJOY YOURSELF
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyb View Post
    It's not entirely clear if you will be competing in formal bench rest competitions or if it's just for fun at the club range. If competing there is actually a bench rest organisation with rules that may be of interest:

http://www.ukbr22.org.uk/index.php/home/ukbr22-rules

Many of the bench rest classes have a weight limit of 10.5 lbs including a scope which may be something to consider if you were going down the competition route. This could limit you in terms of rifle/scope combinations as some of the target rifles mentioned in this thread such as the FTP900 weigh more than that for the rifle alone. There is a heavy varmint class though which does allow heavier guns. I wouldn't rush out and buy a gun right away in any case. Attend the club a few times to see if it's for you and exactly what type of shooting interests you. You may end up liking something totally different such as 10m air rifle or even field target/HFT.
    Very sound advice, many thanks !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    UKBR22 is one set of rules, the NSRA rules differ substantially.

At our club we currently have 17 members actively competing in bench rest - in our case at 20 yards - shooting to NSRA rules.

The highest scoring member uses a S400 action in a home made aluminium box section stock (originally from Darren Petts) and he has a 18x scope on top.

The second highest scoring member uses a Walther, can't recall the model but it's the FT rifle with the long hamster, and he has a Bushnell 6-24 sidewheel scope on top.

I'm in third place with a S400 with the long air cylinder and a Falcon T35 on top.

Last season the Walther guy had the best average 194.2, another chap with a BSA R10 was second 193.9 and I was third (again) 193.2.

So there isn't much in it. Do you need to spend £2k?

For what it's worth, I shot this discipline originally with an EV2 mark 1, changed to a Hammerli and improved my scores, changed to the long S400 and stayed about the same level.
    I dont necessarily need to spend 2 grand (who does ? ) but I wanted to give "an impressession" of what my budget may be.
    I already have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40AO which may fit the bill scopewise but I dont know how it would stand weight-wise, or is it the total combo weight that counts ?
    “An airgun or two”………

If you shoot to NSRA rules then don't worry about it. Weight is not a parameter.

PS there is a Yorkshire league that shoots to its own rules and also a Midlands league that shoots to similar but different rules. The Midlands one allows any weight, any magnification, and you can even use a bipod in place of a front bench rest if you like. But the roundels are pretty small . . . .
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

The Yorkshire County and Leeds and District BR comps have no weight limit,a front rest is specified but no front bags or bi-pods.
    The non shooting hand supports the underside of the butt,no additional wedge bags or spacers and no contact between butt and bench.
    Air rifles and rimfires mixed together shot at 20 or 25 yds.
    Good fun.
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Thanks.

Most of the quality PCP,s used for FT and HFT can give good results off the bench with the best dome headed pellets such as JSB/AA 8.4 and 7.9 gr
    At L&D the majority of rifles used are AA models AA Classic/MPR/HFT500/EV2/FTP 900.
    A regulated rifle takes away the shot number /power curve anxiety problem but puts costs up slightly
    The 10 metre target rifles do not perform well at 20 and 25 yds. You need the higher power of a FT type air rifle

The scope should ideally be high fixed mag with very fine cross hair(with or without target dot)

The Weaver T 36 or Sightron are ideal
    Falcon 35 x is also a good choice
    Go for 1/8 MOA adjustments
    I have emailed you an entry and the rules for the Midlands Summer benchrest postal which starts in April
    Rgds
    John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 16-01-2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added scope info

Airarms njr 100

Hi I have for sale an AirArms NJR 100 .177 ,if your not familiar with the name the NJR stands for Nick Jenkinson Rifle , being world champion he helped design the rifle in the late eighties and was there flagship rifle for years ,it has adjustable cheek piece ,but pad ,Palm shelf and Olympic trigger and is abosolutely beautiful ,if your interested email at dinocallo@aol.com for some photos Or more info
    Atb
    Dean
    Daystate Airwolf MVT.22 40ft RUGER77/17hmr RUGER SR22
    "DON'T EVER SHOOT A 17 HMR. What ever you thought you knew about 22 rim fires, and loved about them, will be lost forever. It's like dumping your wife for Miss America."