Thread: Walther lgm1 bipod question

Walther lgm1 bipod question

Having trouble finding a bipod for my old Walther LGM1, bought a System Gemini which didn't fit the accessory rail so that's going on an Anschutz. Can anyone tell me if the Centra bipod will fit ? Yesterday I asked Intershoot who are advertising them but he doesn't know for sure same with Bedford Shooting Supplies. Thanks.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Nothing will fit as it comes, the old Walther accessory rails were totaly diferent and back then Walther had all their own accesories, (except the bipod!), we had to file down the Anschutz rail bipod fitting back then to fit on a Walther. You need to reprofile the bit that slides in the rail so get filing! Now all the manufacturers (including Walther have a standard rail)

I gave one of my old ones away a few years ago, and I have one left which I use on my Swing 7.62 which is in an 80's Walther stock.

Have Fun.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Robin, I notice that Centra/Mec are advertising a bipod which they say will fit the Walther rifles. They go on to say that Walther rails are different etc but this will fit. Do you think they would be referring to the newer guns ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Yes, the old rails (pre '85 ish) were a different profile, the current rails on everything is standardised on what was the Anschutz profile, the MEC items are Anschutz profile and I have several bits on our new rifles and they will not fit on the pre change older Walthers. People don't know because they are not old enough!

Incidently bipods have been illegal on 10 mt rifles when shooting for many years now and no one uses them now, just have a cloth to rest the rifle on.

On the new 2017 ISSF rules bipods are now illegal on all rifles (.22) when shooting under ISSF rules, paranoia about people using illegal balance weights.

No ones going to be bothered with domestic shooting and they are handy to stand up the rifle, but on a period rifle the MEC folding bipod would look out of place, (as well as cost 63 euros!), much better to find the simple fixed type (I think made by Evans?), the NSRA shop has had them, give them a ring, it will be Anschtutz profile, but the difference is on the Anschutz the section is a square T, on the old Walther you just file the edge off the bottom of the T and it will fit the old Walther rail as well as the modern ones.

I've got several I'd modded (many years ago!) but none spare.

PS. I've just checked the NSRA site and they have the Evans bipod, £12, its period, and will fit with five minutes with a file, and a blow with matt black paint!

Best of luck
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?