Thread: BSA Challenger Carbine Info Please

BSA Challenger Carbine Info Please

Hi All,

Recently picked up the Challenger Carbine 0.22, please may I ask the following questions:
    1. Barrel length 14 ", the rifling ends at the crown, my std Challengers rifling ends about one and a quarter inches in from the end. Is this normal for the Carbine version? I don't think the barrel has been shortened, if it was, it was done professionally as the machining and threading for the foresight screw is perfect.

2. I realise the Carbine version is rare, but, does anyone know how many were made?

3. Although value is very subjective on many things, basis my description following below, a ball-park figure would be nice to know.

The Carbine looks totally original, complete with metal open sights. The stock and open sight screw heads are not marked. The bluing looks original, has a few small speckles of rust here and there, nothing serious and have virtually disappeared with finest wire wool and ACF50. There is no thinning of bluing on the barrel due to cocking, despite more effort required on the short barrel. I would say 85 to 90% condition.

The stock has only a few tiny marks and looks fine, no splits...I would say about 90 to 95%.

Most likely, none of the above would show in a photograph. I do not have a photograph hosting sight and don't want one, just like I don't want or need Facebook, but, I would be quite willing to email or PM a photograph to anyone interested if that is allowed under the rules.

I need batteries for my Combro so I used my other technical gadget to get a feel of power - the zinc plated steel rubbish bin at 10 yards. Going by the impact noise and dent, I would say 11.32 to 11.49, with no wind I did manage to hit it....!

Will appreciate any information, please excuse me if I don't reply for a few hours, I need to panel beat the dents out of the bin after much testing in the past......

Best regards to all.....keep on cocking your mighty springers.......

BSA Challenger Carbine Info Please

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Hi All,

Recently picked up the Challenger Carbine 0.22, please may I ask the following questions:
    1. Barrel length 14 ", the rifling ends at the crown, my std Challengers rifling ends about one and a quarter inches in from the end. Is this normal for the Carbine version? I don't think the barrel has been shortened, if it was, it was done professionally as the machining and threading for the foresight screw is perfect.

2. I realise the Carbine version is rare, but, does anyone know how many were made?

3. Although value is very subjective on many things, basis my description following below, a ball-park figure would be nice to know.

The Carbine looks totally original, complete with metal open sights. The stock and open sight screw heads are not marked. The bluing looks original, has a few small speckles of rust here and there, nothing serious and have virtually disappeared with finest wire wool and ACF50. There is no thinning of bluing on the barrel due to cocking, despite more effort required on the short barrel. I would say 85 to 90% condition.

The stock has only a few tiny marks and looks fine, no splits...I would say about 90 to 95%.

Most likely, none of the above would show in a photograph. I do not have a photograph hosting sight and don't want one, just like I don't want or need Facebook, but, I would be quite willing to email or PM a photograph to anyone interested if that is allowed under the rules.

I need batteries for my Combro so I used my other technical gadget to get a feel of power - the zinc plated steel rubbish bin at 10 yards. Going by the impact noise and dent, I would say 11.32 to 11.49, with no wind I did manage to hit it....!

Will appreciate any information, please excuse me if I don't reply for a few hours, I need to panel beat the dents out of the bin after much testing in the past......

Best regards to all.....keep on cocking your mighty springers.......
    Dunno about the challenger carbine but my 635 magnum had a shorter barrell, without the counterbore at the end like most bsa's probably the same lenth too about 15".It came with a scorpion pistol cocking aide that helped too. they're my fave bsa so far the challenger, lovley to shoot & underated guns.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I've had a word with someone I know who knows a lot about BSA's and he said that there where 3500 .22 carbines made, I have a very rare Airsporter S carbine and the barrel finishes at the crown like yours, I also had an Airsporter RB2 carbine a few years ago and the barrel was the same on that, as for what it's worth, all I can say is that I bought a standard .22 Challenger for £210 at the beginning of last year so I recon a carbine is going to be worth around the £300-350 mark.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Many thanks junglie and Pete for your response and information....

I used to think back to the days of the then fashionable carbines looked a bit naff and that long was better, as the actress sad to the bishop, and longed(!!) for a 35E. But, since I have collected a 77K and a Superstar Carbine, and now very much a convert since maturing, I could not resist this Challenger Carbine at a very embarrassingly low price given your value estimate. It is a fine looking carbine in excellent condition and seems to pack a punch - will test later. I love it, it even has a sexiness about its looks...... I did confess that after buying a very nice RB2 and a few others from member guy that that was the last, the very last of collecting, never again, no more, but, sadly it didn't work out as few more were acquired since.......

All the best and thank you again.....

The Challenger Carbine is a very worthy addition to any one's collection even for those who don't like BSA's.

Even better if you got a good deal.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The very first Challenger I got was from a guy I used to deliver to, he produced this rifle that looked like it had been dragged behind a tractor, the bluing was rusty and pitted and the stock was deep scratches, I paid £40 for it and then spent another 100 getting tuned and reblued by SFS, I fitted a lightning barrel to it and a volumetric silencer refinished the stock, that rifle accounted for hundreds of rabbits, it was so pointable because of the short 10" barrel, I then foolishly traded it in and it took me years to find another one, I now have a couple, a standard one and another short barreled one.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I have nothing to add to this other than to say my Challenger takes it's place on display alongside my Steyr H5 and LG110 HFT 2014 and V mached HW97 in a Gary cane Grand prix stock; that's how good I think it is!
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Mmmm....bootneckbob, quite rightly so, I hope the Challenger occupies the no.1 slot in your display.....

Of those classic BSA's of the day, I wonder in which order of merit they deserve? Quite difficult to rank, but, of my lot I'll give it a go:
    Superstar
    Superstar Carbine
    Challenger (std)
    Challenger Carbine
    Goldstar
    Mercury S
    Airsporter RB2
    Airsporter S

Don't ask me to give any technical reasons why, I just sniff them, feel the wood, the solidness of the metal and the excitable pleasurable handling it gives........

All the best to all cockers - argh those leaky seals, pumps and filling, bottles and inspections, adapters....no, no PCP'S for me, it a short life to be fiddling with all that.....