Thread: Estimation of the number of Crosman 101 and 102 made?

Estimation of the number of Crosman 101 and 102 made?

I read there were never serial numbers, though mine does have numbers stamped on the end of the receiver? Given the long production of 25 years is there any feel for how many they made, even a estimation?

Considering the number of these I see at gun shows, flea markets, auctions, etc. I'd think at least a hundred thousand were made.

No idea. They are very common; easily the most common vintage airgun seen here in the US. The production years were 1925-1941, 1946-1949.

In the more modern era it's hard for me to wrap my head around Crosman selling 12 million 760's. That's a bit of a different game than 6 employees in 1940!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Considering the number of these I see at gun shows, flea markets, auctions, etc. I'd think at least a hundred thousand were made.
    Good authority tells me it was 187, 541 total both types

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Good authority tells me it was 187, 541 total both types

ATB, Ed
    Unfortunately, there is no authority on the subject. I worked with Crosman on their history and a lot of effort was put into searching company records for anything on this. One of the reasons this was done is that Bob Lutter published some numbers (which is likely where yours came from) that he said he got from Crosman.

This is not the same as saying 187,541 is wrong but there absolutely no verifiable data that makes it any better than any other number you might wish to quote.

Part of the problem is the crazy way the Crosman business evolved over the years. Can't imagine that any number from the entire '20s and '30s would have ever been available. Then, when PY Hahn took over, he had the habit of using family members to do company work which, from what we ever found, was what happened with the accounting, some hand-written notes on production numbers from the mid '50s was found that were done by PY Hahn's wife (if memory serves) So, during the entire production life of this model, things were pretty loose regarding such things.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    In the more modern era it's hard for me to wrap my head around Crosman selling 12 million 760's. That's a bit of a different game than 6 employees in 1940!
    Yeah, the picture of Crosman Arms up until after WWII was a very small business with only 2 workmen who each assembled the entire gun, in an old antiquated building. Even the Henrietta St. plant, immediately after WWII, is so tiny. I visited that building back in the '90s and was amazed at how really tiny it all was. Crosman Arms didn't really become a serious business until 1952 and the move to, yet another old building, in Fairport.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no authority on the subject. I worked with Crosman on their history and a lot of effort was put into searching company records for anything on this. One of the reasons this was done is that Bob Lutter published some numbers (which is likely where yours came from) that he said he got from Crosman.

This is not the same as saying 187,541 is wrong but there absolutely no verifiable data that makes it any better than any other number you might wish to quote.

Part of the problem is the crazy way the Crosman business evolved over the years. Can't imagine that any number from the entire '20s and '30s would have ever been available. Then, when PY Hahn took over, he had the habit of using family members to do company work which, from what we ever found, was what happened with the accounting, some hand-written notes on production numbers from the mid '50s was found that were done by PY Hahn's wife (if memory serves) So, during the entire production life of this model, things were pretty loose regarding such things.
    Sorry mate.....This is the U.K. and we have people that are experts beyond the realm of anybody who resides in the USA, even of subjects / products that are USA based. I know that may seem strange but that is how it is. If you ever come over here you can arrange to meet them, they are called;

"A bloke down the pub"

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Sorry mate.....This is the U.K. and we have people that are experts beyond the realm of anybody who resides in the USA, even of subjects / products that are USA based. I know that may seem strange but that is how it is. If you ever come over here you can arrange to meet them, they are called;

"A bloke down the pub"

ATB, Ed
    Such "blokes" are resident here in the colonies, too, and more common than not, the blokes think their personal opinion serve as history.

Dean, you need to sit back, relax, and Google "British humour" !!

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Dean, you need to sit back, relax, and Google "British humour" !!

Don R.
    Not sure what you are talking about, Don. I got the humor and thought my light reply was in keeping with it.

Perhaps you might want to sit back and relax.