Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bsa Supersport History and Info (parker hale, bsa lighting)

As I dont see it mentioned in the VERY informative first post, the different supersport/lightning troggers deserve some mention:

-Early supersports, both Mk1 and Mk2, shared the simple plastic single stage trigger blade of the Meteor Mk5.

-At some time the plastic trigger blade was changed to a machined and anodized aluminium version, which was spring loaded and gives the impression of a two-stage trigger.

-Later, the machined and anodized blade was changed to a cast version, which retains the pseudo-two-stage function.

-the steel parts of the trigger mechanism was at some time changed from hardened steel stampings to cast or maybe sintered parts.

Can anyone place approximate dates for the changes mentioned above?

SS Carbine

I have a .22 SS Carbine and have tried to het a year and country of manufacture from BSA and Knibbs. Both couldn't help. It has an S prefix before the numbers , no maxi rail, plastic trigger and has the barrel weight for a mod and the rear sight is on a raiser. It's in lovely condition and seems very well made. The barrel is stamped BSA Guns England rather than BSA Guns LTD England.

It's a bit frustrating not knowing its year of manufacture or where made if anyone has any ideas they would be welcome.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I've had a couple of Brummy Lightnings in the past (one was the newer XL model), one of them was SFS tuned with the Superstar trigger conversion and I have to say it was a lovely little rifle, the only thing that let it down was the bland stock, Custom stocks used to supply them for BSA's but not anymore, which is rather stupid considering they still have the info needed for the cutouts.

I'd love a Supersport ss custom but they are like hens teeth.

Pete
    I emailed CS about a Goldstar stock a while back, whilst they may have the old patterns their manufacturing process has changed apparently and they can’t use the old masters.

I have a slightly mad idea about building a copy router, but have a lot of life to sort out first.

The company went PLC, or more correctly incorporated on 24 March 1986.
    According to companies house, if that's of any relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brano View Post
    I have a .22 SS Carbine and have tried to het a year and country of manufacture from BSA and Knibbs. Both couldn't help. It has an S prefix before the numbers , no maxi rail, plastic trigger and has the barrel weight for a mod and the rear sight is on a raiser. It's in lovely condition and seems very well made. The barrel is stamped BSA Guns England rather than BSA Guns LTD England.

It's a bit frustrating not knowing its year of manufacture or where made if anyone has any ideas they would be welcome.
    Cheers
    The only Supersport or Lightning I have seen with the plastic blade here in norway is probably a quite early gun. It does NOT have the "anti beartrap" system, but all the guns I have seen with the machined aluminium trigger has had the "anti bearstrap safety".
    My dad bought a Lightning (not the XS) sometime around 2000-2002, which has the machined aluminium trigger blade.
    I have never seen any plastic tigger blades on supersports or lightnings in the stores after that, so I presume the plastic blade was dropped sometime before 2000.

But that is my assumption. If anyone can share more info on this, and perhaps when the anti beartrap safety was introduced, please do!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    I emailed CS about a Goldstar stock a while back, whilst they may have the old patterns their manufacturing process has changed apparently and they can’t use the old masters.

I have a slightly mad idea about building a copy router, but have a lot of life to sort out first.
    Well if they managed to make new (or convert the old patterns) for HW's (especially the newly brought out 99 stocks) and AA's then I'm sure they could do BSA's, I think they are just making excuses and can't be bothered because they probably wouldn't sell many.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

A question on the Supersport:
    Was the lettering on the cylinder ever filled with gold paint, like they did on the Meteors?

supersport

i once fitted a mk scriocco barrel to a supersport it looked and performed fantastic .could do with finding another for my ss

While googling supersport carbine pictures, I came across this:
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...2d5#lotDetails

Said to be a Meteor marked Supersport carbine for the Australian market.
    Does anyone know the story behind this rare Supersport variation?

This article was fantastic, well written and full of useful information and links-thanks for sharing. I have the Supersport Carbine and would love another in .25 and .177. My local gunshop has a few in at just over £100 so it is do able... just have to sell a kidney or one of he kids.