Thread: Mr consistency

Mr consistency

recently picked up a hw 95 luxus in 177 from this forum from rotherham owl, really nice chap, he even gave me a titan spring to go with it!
    after a few shots it was abit loud and rattly, but im used to shooting tuned guns so i could have just been me being spoilt , so i decided to strip it.
    i was surprised to find a oilon spring guide inside (self lubricating plastic) very similar to the delrin or acatol ones i use, http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dav...tml?sort=3&o=6 witch was a bonus, after removing the spring witch was a standard hw spring, i found the piston to be buttoned with 6, 6mm delrin inserts and covered in some white grease what i suspect to be lithium, http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dav...tml?sort=3&o=5 delrin inserts were 3 at front and 3 at back, spaced out 120 degrees, this also saved me some work , so after stripping, i applied moly grease to the piston, but then realized that the piston was quite a tight fit due to the buttons protruding from the piston too much and pushing against the cylinder, this was soon sorted with a lathe and some emery cloth, after taking the buttons down and reapplying the grease the piston moved up and down by itself , after making a top hat for the spring from some delrin i had left over http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dav...tml?sort=3&o=4 and compressing the spring to 25 coils, the spring and kit went in nicely with some moly based spring grease, the chrono test was surprising, bearing in mind these are pellets straight out a tin, i dont wash or weigh them.
    first 10 shot spread read as follows, using air arms diabolo field(8.4 grain)

8 fps over 10 shot thread highest being 775 at 11.2 flt-lbs and lowest at 767 at 10.97 flt-lbs
    after setting the gun up and shooting some targets i did another 6 shot spread using same pellets

770 - 11.06 flt-lbs
    775 - 11.20 flt lbs
    5fps over 6 shots

very pleased with the results and i got a gun already half tuned

never really been familiar with the 95k luxus, only difference i can see is stock looking more like walnut, anyone shed any light on the difference?
    next step is to add a custom stock from graham down at halfway Sheffield as the gun is abit on the light side for me, but i wont be using laminate any more as the last 80 i did come out beautiful but also weighed in at 14lbs http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dav...tml?sort=3&o=3
    and might also add a 98 barrel to give the front end some weight as this sometimes causes muzzle flip, anyone else done this?
    also a straight blade trigger would be nice same as on the 80, http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dav...tml?sort=3&o=0 all working progress will keep you updated

Great to see refurbishment / tuning threads I need to learn all I can. Your laminate HW 80 looks tasty, but 14llbs whow, what does a normal one weigh 9llbs?

Cheers

Heavy

Yes it's about 8.5 so scoped its close to 9 , the laminate added about 5lbs more to the original stock, bad decision putting it on a 80 but people prefer them heavy, the next one will be something lighter like a 99 but in 177 there hard to get close to 11 fltlbs using the springs I used, glad you enjoyed the read

Nice post and excellent result, Davy.

That laminate '80 looks lovely.

I wonder if that white grease was Krytox or similar?

Although I haven't done so myself, some have fitted '98 barrels to the '95. All down to individual taste / balance. Or maybe machine up a shroud to fit the '95 barrel if you can do it yourself? Or Jonny Neate does some lovely work.

A few on here have been short-stroking '95s and '98s, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dav...4poyd.jpg.html

The 80 looked stunning in person ,lovely stocks but they cost alot for me to make, wood is imported from usa. I have seen some pictures of the 98 barrel on the 95, they are basically the same gun as well as the 85, never tried to make a shroud but will get round to trying one day

Davy3211,

I have an HW95 Super Match (HW95 action in an HW98 stock), and the HW98 barrel makes the rifle very front heavy.

For me, it was too front heavy, so I bored a hole in the butt and weighted it with lead, and added sheet lead under the adjustable cheek-piece so the balance point is ca. 3 inches from the trigger guard.

For me, the rifle balances and shots very much better with these weights - the rifle now weighs in at 4.6 kg (just over 10 lb.).

However, some chappies really like the front-heavy balance of the HW98

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nice post and excellent result, Davy.

That laminate '80 looks lovely.

I wonder if that white grease was Krytox or similar?

Although I haven't done so myself, some have fitted '98 barrels to the '95. All down to individual taste / balance. Or maybe machine up a shroud to fit the '95 barrel if you can do it yourself? Or Jonny Neate does some lovely work.

A few on here have been short-stroking '95s and '98s, too.
    if that's krytox ......there's about a fivers worth on that piston

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Davy3211,

I have an HW95 Super Match (HW95 action in an HW98 stock), and the HW98 barrel makes the rifle very front heavy.

For me, it was too front heavy, so I bored a hole in the butt and weighted it with lead, and added sheet lead under the adjustable cheek-piece so the balance point is ca. 3 inches from the trigger guard.

For me, the rifle balances and shots very much better with these weights - the rifle now weighs in at 4.6 kg (just over 10 lb.).

However, some chappies really like the front-heavy balance of the HW98

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ
    If it is too front heavy I may have to add the laminate stock to even it out a little, it's just another one of my project to keep me busy

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    if that's krytox ......there's about a fivers worth on that piston
    Never really heard of krytox, is it a ptfe or silicon based grease, I know it's exspencive I've just had a look
    But saying that I used to buy the sapphire extreme moly grease at £40 for 400g and that was exspencive, but it's very good for lathe beds and keeping machines running smooth as it doesn't really move

I have a Steve Pope tuned HW95, bought second hand, and I've never looked inside. Whatever has been done makes it a super smooth machine. Its very accurate.
    Its a basic Luxus configuration stock with HW Silencer which makes for a very light weight combination. I really love it and not going to change anything.

However, its the weight of the rifle that makes it hard to "keep it there". All the lighter rifles I've ever had, highly tuned or not, when spring powered just can't match something with more weight. I think a certain mass to a combination makes a fundamental difference to repeatable spot on accuracy.
    Heavier HW's, Air Arms, Pak 91/93, all the best behaved all, have 8fts plus plus weight. I much prefer to shoot a sporting light weight rifle but resign myself that they just can't compete with something weightier.

We do our best to tune to silky smooth but the physics are against us.

Quote Originally Posted by davy2311 View Post
    Never really heard of krytox, is it a ptfe or silicon based grease, I know it's exspencive I've just had a look
    But saying that I used to buy the sapphire extreme moly grease at £40 for 400g and that was exspencive, but it's very good for lathe beds and keeping machines running smooth as it doesn't really move
    Errrrrr....PFPE .....???.......with a bit of PTFE gubbins ...??......

Not really sure ......but if you read that it's some magical witch craft type , super inert substance, that won't or cant possibly diesel ...don't believe it. !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytox
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 16-01-2017 at 12:41 PM.