Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Spring rifles vs Pumpers

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Two things. First, the late Bob Beeman is both a bit of an airgun hero but also a salesman.
    I think perhaps you are being a bit previous, as Bob Beeman is still alive and well putting the finishing touches to his book. At least he was a few weeks ago when he emailed me.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I think perhaps you are being a bit previous, as Bob Beeman is still alive and well putting the finishing touches to his book. At least he was a few weeks ago when he emailed me.
    Oh dear, I really thought he was no longer with us. My apologies to him.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Many years ago, my Wife and I bought a Crosman 'pumper' for the kids to learn to shoot with under our supervision of course. (for various reasons - they never actually did unfortunately!)
    Have to say I was very impressed with it, although the plastic stock (although 'durable') and finish (matt) of the metal parts appeared a little 'crude'.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

Slightly off thread but here goes.....

I shoot mainly classic, spring powered air pistols, but also have a selection of PCP, Co2 and 'pumpers'. Although I prefer the much livelier recoil characteristics of the 'springers' which provide something nearer to the feel of live firing pistols, I can't deny that they are much harder to shoot with consistent accuracy. Having said that, you could argue that 'springers' are a also bit more satisfying to shoot when you do get it right.

Finally, if Crosman had ever managed to produce the extremely elegant 105 model as a single stroke pneumatic with similar performance to say the FAS 604 it would undoubtedly be an even more classic pistol than it is already.

Regard

Brian
    Interesting I just purchased a old Crosman 105 and you are of course correct, but to me these vintage pistols are fun because they are a point in time. And back in 1948 made with materials and workmanship not really done today. Really true of the 102, it is just quirky and odd by today's standards, but after playing with it a week it just adds to the charm. Going to do a post on my 105 shortly.

Is this his "Girandoni" book?

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with. His public postings on the Girandoni and Lewis and Clark air rifle are filled with inaccuracies and speculation. Always has the nicest pictures, though.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Is this his "Girandoni" book?

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with. His public postings on the Girandoni and Lewis and Clark air rifle are filled with inaccuracies and speculation. Always has the nicest pictures, though.
    Yes, it is his Girandoni book. It promises to be an opulent publication, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy of some of his conclusions. Whatever the end result it will certainly be a focus for much heated discussion.

Yes, it is his Girandoni book. It promises to be an opulent publication, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy of some of his conclusions. Whatever the end result it will certainly be a focus for much heated discussion.
    I'll get a copy for the pictures, for sure.

Once he does publish, I'll probably go ahead and publish my little 400 page book on the subject.

Who knows? maybe the old doc will convince me of the errors in my way.