Thread: 1st venture into collectable airguns

1st venture into collectable airguns

Hi all,

I have owned air rifles for many years however last week I bought a group of 4 vintage air rifles. Unfortunately one of the previous owners has decided to remove all of the blueing off of them. Luckily two of the rifles, makers were still legible and the third I have managed to track down to being made by Diana. However the fourth I have had no such luck with tracking down, I would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed any light on it.

The start of the barrel is hexagonal in shape for the first 7 inches and then is circular for the remaining 12 inches. The overall length of the rifle is 41 inches. The barrel itself has no rifling and when the rifle is broken open there is no where for an O ring to go, underneath the chamber there is the number 37 stamped which is also stamped on the inside of the lever and the trigger guard.

The method of breaking open the barrel also appears slightly unusual as there is a button that must be pressed in order to release the barrel. The open sights on it does also allow for windage but there is no adjustment for elevation.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Kind regards

Jack

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/jac...?sort=3&page=1

Hi Jack,

It's a side button Milita type gun probably made in Germany, could be Oscar Will or Langanham may be?...Stock looks a little unusual for this type, could it be a upper-class model Pfeil Milita type?

Cheers,
    Dave
    blah blah

Looks like a Milita, with upgraded stock and sights. A few english gunsmiths bought these in from Germany and upgraded them with better sights and springs etc. The stock is reminiscent of the later pistol Hand stocks that were put on BSA's and Lincoln Jeffries rifles , so maybe Lincoln Jeffries re-sold this gun on with said improvements. That said his guns are normally identified with his logo on the stock, or stamped on the metalwork.
    You should find that there is a leather washer around the transfer port, instead of the normal place around the breech, to stop the air from escaping.

Lakey

Hi Dave & Lakey

Thanks for the information it's been really helpful, I've looked at a few pictures of these milita's on the web and your right this definitely looks identical to them.

Lakey you were right I have had a look at the transfer port and there is a washer on it.

kind regards

Jack