Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSP air pistol

SSP air pistol

I am considering getting myself an SSP pistol, but I am a bit concerned over power output, Does anyone know which is the most powerful?

They are all pretty similar: 350-420 fps with typical 7 grain pellets. That holds true for the HW40, Gamos, Beeman P17, FAS, Webley Nemesis.

The IZH-61M and the HW75 are at the top end: 410-460. Because they are bigger and heavier, and compress a bit more air than the smaller ones.

SSPs are pretty simple things, and there's no real way of tuning or "modding" them for much greater power apart from fitting a longer barrel.

*46M. The IZH-61 is the 5 shot version of the Star Wars / sniper inspired small sidelever spring rifle, isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    *46M. The IZH-61 is the 5 shot version of the Star Wars / sniper inspired small sidelever spring rifle, isn't it.
    That's correct, duh.

How do you convert FPS into ftlbs?

pellet weight x MV x MV ÷ 450240 = ft.lbs

eg:

7.0 x 800 x 800 ÷ 450240 = 9.95 ft.lbs
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Thanks for the formula,

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    That's correct, duh.
    Shows I bother to read your posts!

OP - My (1996) Izzy-46 (non-M) does 411 fps (3.01 fpe) with bisley practice ammo.

The newer 46M apparently does 40-ish fps more than mine, so that's pretty healthy for an SSP.

My hw75 did 375 fps with the same pellets, and 'felt' correspondingly a lot slower than the IZH.

In my view, the Gamo Compact, FAS, AirMatch, and Daisy 717 also felt slow-ish...

HTH

Yes I think the Baikal Izh 46m is the most powerful.

And the easiest one to cock.

The velocity of the HW75 is similar to that of the HW40. Both are a bugger to cock.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Shows I bother to read your posts!

OP - My (1996) Izzy-46 (non-M) does 411 fps (3.01 fpe) with bisley practice ammo.

The newer 46M apparently does 40-ish fps more than mine, so that's pretty healthy for an SSP.

My hw75 did 375 fps with the same pellets, and 'felt' correspondingly a lot slower than the IZH.

In my view, the Gamo Compact, FAS, AirMatch, and Daisy 717 also felt slow-ish...

HTH
    Nice to know that someone does.

I have seen tests of the HW75 hitting 440 fps.

My FAS definitely feels slow.

I have also read that pellet choice is a big factor, with things like R10 pistol match getting higher velocities than the same weight Hobbys (though I mostly use Hobbys, as they are accurate and cheap and I am not a proper serious match shooter person).

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytwobikes View Post
    I am considering getting myself an SSP pistol, but I am a bit concerned over power output, Does anyone know which is the most powerful?
    SSP pistols are at best 10 meter target pistols or trainers ( HW 40 ) . I really don't see anypoint in trying to up the power of them which is almost impossible any way ( there is a way of reducing the chamber volume of the HW 40 gaining a few thenths of ft.lbs but it is not worth the effort ) . If you really want one then get one with a good trigger. FAS and HW 40 have good triggers but Gamo is just a simple affair. I have no experince of the other ones. If you are after a powerful MSP pistol then the old Alecto or a Zuraki ( the Turkish equivalent ) approach 5 ft.lbs with 3 strokes charging.
    I prefer my HW 45 BlackStar. It is just much more challenging and just under the legal limit, 5.6 ft.lbs.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

The velocity of the HW75 is similar to that of the HW40. Both are a bugger to cock.
    I went to the local rifle and pistol club last week and practiced a little with the HW 40. It was the first time that I managed not to trap a piece of my flesh in the cocking mechanism. I just let the butt of the pistol rest against my chest while I cocked it with both hands. My shooting session was much less successful.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    SSP pistols are at best 10 meter target pistols or trainers ( HW 40 ) . I really don't see anypoint in trying to up the power of them which is almost impossible any way ( there is a way of reducing the chamber volume of the HW 40 gaining a few thenths of ft.lbs but it is not worth the effort ) . If you really want one then get one with a good trigger. FAS and HW 40 have good triggers but Gamo is just a simple affair. I have no experince of the other ones. If you are after a powerful MSP pistol then the old Alecto or a Zuraki ( the Turkish equivalent ) approach 5 ft.lbs with 3 strokes charging.
    I prefer my HW 45 BlackStar. It is just much more challenging and just under the legal limit, 5.6 ft.lbs.

A.G
    Good stuff. I'd only comment that my older Gamo Compact has a fairly decent trigger, and you can see the adjustments to the sears work if you take the grip off and twiddle the screws. Apparently newer ones aren't like that. I saw an AGW review last year or so where the test gun had a pull of something like 4 or 5 lbs, not the 550 grams of a proper match pistol.

Never put a trigger pull gauge on my Nemesis, but it's an OK trigger.

The HW75 has IMHO one of the best triggers of any non match air pistol, once set up properly, and mine is as accurate as my Steyr LP10.
    Only about 2.5 ft.lbs though.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

As long as you keep your foreskin and the fleshy part of your palm out of the way you won;t come to harm. BTW the HW75 is a fabulous pistol.