Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSP air pistol

If you are going to have 1 SSP I would opt for a Webley Alecto.

On pump you will get about the same power as a HW40 or HW75 - Both these have the same/very similar internals.

2 pumps increases the power significantly and 3 pumps a little more - on mine 3 pumps gives about 5.2fpe.

IMO opinion the Alecto is a lot more versatile than other SSP's.

Big thank you to everyone for their comments, certainly food for thought, fancying one of them Baikal IZH46m, but it would have to be a used one, the new price is a little heavy for me.

I own a HW40 and a HW75, both in .177

In terms of use, I tend to use the HW40 more often because I like the fibre optic sights and slightly less faff for loading and cocking it.

My loft range where I plink a lot, has got varying degrees of light and I find that the fibre optic sights are easier to align with plinking targets up there

If I'm shooting at normal 6yd black and white pistol targets, I would prefer to use the HW75. As it is heavier than the HW40, I feel that there is less 'movement' during the firing cycle, whereas the HW40 gives the sensation of 'twisting' slightly when the shot is released.

The trigger on the HW40 has a light, but quite pronounced first stage with a nice crisp let-off, and by comparison the HW75 trigger has a shorter first stage but still a nice light release. They are both great pistols and just right for informal target shooting and plinking.

My Daisy 717 is not quite up to the same quality as the Weihrauchs, but it's still a nice pistol to have a plink with, albeit less powerful than the other two, and not such a nice trigger.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Jimmy

I have had fine results with Nemesis, FAS, and older Gamo Compact.

The HW40 generally gets great reviews. If you wanted to dip your toe in the SSP water, I'd suggest a used one of those. Or, even cheaper, a used Gamo PR-45.

The Beeman P-17 copy of the HW40 also appears very good, if you get a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Good stuff. I'd only comment that my older Gamo Compact has a fairly decent trigger, and you can see the adjustments to the sears work if you take the grip off and twiddle the screws. Apparently newer ones aren't like that. I saw an AGW review last year or so where the test gun had a pull of something like 4 or 5 lbs, not the 550 grams of a proper match pistol.

Never put a trigger pull gauge on my Nemesis, but it's an OK trigger.
    Gamos are fine and great value. There is a chap who uses one for 10 meter target practice and his scores are not that far off the more " dedicated " shooters with Steyrs, Morinis and Walthers ( at 10 times the price ) and none of that looking like Dr Strange Love.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    My Daisy 717 is not quite up to the same quality as the Weihrauchs, but it's still a nice pistol to have a plink with, albeit less powerful than the other two, and not such a nice trigger.
    The Daisy 717 is a very underrated pistol. Extremely accurate too, and the trigger is reasonable when you get used to it (which is about the only option as it's non-adjustable AFAICR). It's more a rollover release but very predictable.

You really don't need oodles of power in an SSP if using it for the proper purpose (paper punching or tin can popping) The 717 is a nice pistol with a long barrel for accuracy. The Alecto is a bit more versatile with multiple pump options, but it isn't a thing of beauty. I have both and they are each good in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    The HW75 has IMHO one of the best triggers of any non match air pistol, once set up properly, and mine is as accurate as my Steyr LP10.
    Only about 2.5 ft.lbs though.
    I'm with you on this- very good trigger and very accurate too...

By constraints of size, SSP's are not particularly powerful and by and large are 'match' pistols, although the triggers on many do not lend to what is accepted as 'match' accuracy. If power is the compelling option then a multi pump is the way to go and with modern makes the Alecto may well be worth considering; some of the older multi pump models will give near to the legal limit but aren't too good trigger wise.
    I have owned several of the common SSP 'match pistols' an in all honesty with all of them [FAS 604 & 606; Airmaster] you can easily watch the pellet float on its way down a 10m range; not to say they are inaccurate, they perform superbly, but as I said you need to think about power requirements and look at the well suggested models listed by members.
    ATVB
    abellringer

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    SSP pistols are at best 10 meter target pistols or trainers ( HW 40 ) . I really don't see anypoint in trying to up the power of them which is almost impossible any way ( there is a way of reducing the chamber volume of the HW 40 gaining a few thenths of ft.lbs but it is not worth the effort ) . If you really want one then get one with a good trigger. FAS and HW 40 have good triggers but Gamo is just a simple affair. I have no experince of the other ones. If you are after a powerful MSP pistol then the old Alecto or a Zuraki ( the Turkish equivalent ) approach 5 ft.lbs with 3 strokes charging.
    I prefer my HW 45 BlackStar. It is just much more challenging and just under the legal limit, 5.6 ft.lbs.

A.G
    Is your HW45 Blackstar really getting 5.6 FPE...? All the examples I've seen are in the high 4s, maybe 5.0/5.1 in .22.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Gamos are fine and great value. There is a chap who uses one for 10 meter target practice and his scores are not that far off the more " dedicated " shooters with Steyrs, Morinis and Walthers ( at 10 times the price ) and none of that looking like Dr Strange Love.

A.G
    I look like Dr Strangelove ?