Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Crowning and silencing a SMK XS19

Wink Cutting Crowning and silencing a SMK XS19

Hi Guys

Im currently out in Iraq doing security for oil and gas however I will return to UK mid Feb for my months leave, I have bought TBT kits (not the maxi) for both my HW99S and my XS19 and while I'm happy to strip clean, de bur, polish, sleeve and re-lube both rifles I'm also intent on carbine-ing my XS19 happy enough with the cut and home made guide for the cut, and putting a pellet wrong way round just below the cut to prevent swarf getting in the barrel, Just need some advice with firstly re-crowning the barrel and secondly silencing it, I'm considering either getting it screw cut UNF, using and adapter or getting a slip on silencer, what would be best, and if screw cut does anyone know someone near Wigan who can do this for me, I know my barrel is bang on 15mm I'd love a silenced shroud but doubt if its feesable.

Anyway help here is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philmatuk View Post
    Hi Guys

Im currently out in Iraq doing security for oil and gas however I will return to UK mid Feb for my months leave, I have bought TBT kits (not the maxi) for both my HW99S and my XS19 and while I'm happy to strip clean, de bur, polish, sleeve and re-lube both rifles I'm also intent on carbine-ing my XS19 happy enough with the cut and home made guide for the cut, and putting a pellet wrong way round just below the cut to prevent swarf getting in the barrel, Just need some advice with firstly re-crowning the barrel and secondly silencing it, I'm considering either getting it screw cut UNF, using and adapter or getting a slip on silencer, what would be best, and if screw cut does anyone know someone near Wigan who can do this for me, I know my barrel is bang on 15mm I'd love a silenced shroud but doubt if its feesable.

Anyway help here is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Phil
    Recrowning is easy if you have a lathe, use the parting tool to cut the barrel to the length you want, I wouldn't recommend going below 12", then turn the last inch of the barrel down to the correct size for the 1/2 unf by 20 tpi pitched thread, as for crowning use a correct size countersink and go into the end of the barrel making sure it is even. You can get this done by a gunsmith but will cost you about £30-40

Gunsmith near Wigan

thanks buddy,

Anyone know of a good Gunsmith near wigan.

Kind Regards

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by davy2311 View Post
    You can get this done by a gunsmith but will cost you about £30-40
    Which is likely to be a lot cheaper than having to buy a replacement barrel...

Gunsmith near Wigan

Well I asked my local gun shop (JJ McAvoys) who claim to be a gunsmith online (but I know they send it away) and they came back to me with a price of "70 pounds or more" I think I'm being lead up the garden path there a bit. So i'll try find another "gunsmith" to do the work.

Anyways guys if you know of anyone around my area (Wigan) who does this or can do this please let me have their details

Many Thanks

Phil Martin

Pm coming

Phil Crampton of Rat Works did my CZ200s Barrel for £35
    https://www.facebook.com/TheRATWorks/ message him on facebook.

Quote: '... correct size countersink'.

Out of interest, do you know the correct size? Presumably the angle of cut?

Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil

Phil

To be honest I'm basically following tutorials on you tube for the countersink I'm guessing you mean for the re-crowning process. Maybe you can help here its for a XS19 .22 barrel I intend to take it down to 12.5" and have the end screw cut to take a UNF silencer. I had intended to do the cutting and re-crowning myself as some people have said its simple enough and others have said possibly avoid, but there seems to be a lot of people doing their own.

thanks

Phil Martin

Phil

To be honest I'm basically following tutorials on you tube for the countersink I'm guessing you mean for the re-crowning process. Maybe you can help here its for a XS19 .22 barrel I intend to take it down to 12.5" and have the end screw cut to take a UNF silencer. I had intended to do the cutting and re-crowning myself as some people have said its simple enough and others have said possibly avoid, but there seems to be a lot of people doing their own.

thanks

Phil Martin
    Sorry Phil, I can't help. My question regarding the countersink was made simply because I don't know the answer. I have heard of people using a ball bearing glued to the end of a rod, but am not sure of the bearing size. Similarly using a brass domed head screw ...

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Sorry Phil, I can't help. My question regarding the countersink was made simply because I don't know the answer. I have heard of people using a ball bearing glued to the end of a rod, but am not sure of the bearing size. Similarly using a brass domed head screw ...

Cheers, Phil
    almost like Larry does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ELBpqYCQc

Brass head screw

Yes I watched a vid online by a gent in the USA, old chap, nice guy seemed to know his stuff did a crown with a small Dremell sized sanding ball then finished of with a brass head screw and grinding paste but said the same could be done with toothpaste if you didn't have grinding paste. He used a hand held hand powered drill real old school but very good, some people where ripping him in the comments beneath but a lot of people saying it was a very good and very informative vid.
    I'd looked for similar and most followed the same principle and some showed the results of their efforts and they weren't to shabby at all, with some very fine results. obviously the pro's do a far sharper job, but I'm guessing you pay the money for it. Considering we have just been told we are about to get a huge pay hit out here I wont be able to afford much. Gone are the days of a decent wage even for security lads out in Iraq. The corporate boys are doing what they do best "squeeze it until it stops then wind it back just enough to let the blood flow" yet they'll be giving themselves a pat on the back and yearly bonuses. "Oh the joys"
    Bring on the zombie apocalypse or the alien invasion.

Hey regards all, peace out!

Phil

I've re-crowned a few barrels, but haven't tried a countersink. Seems too likely to smear some steel into the grooves, even if freshly sharpened. The way I crown is to put a barrel in my little lathe, set up a steady rest, then get it spinning at a low speed. I start shaping a slight hollow with a fine grinding burr on a Dremel. All cuts are made with the Dremel body rested on the tool holder, so as to maintain good control. All contact with the muzzle is made on the near side and with the rotation of the burrs running outwards from the centre at about 15°. This ensures that any smearing of the steel is away from the inner edge. Once it's shaped the way I like it (exaxt angle not really critical, the most important thing being that it's absolutely even) I move to finer grinding then honing burrs, finishing with a rubber burr containing a fine abrasive and lastly a hard felt wheel with green buffing compound. The result is an absolutely even and clean edge on the bore.

Yes I watched a vid online by a gent in the USA, old chap, nice guy seemed to know his stuff did a crown with a small Dremell sized sanding ball then finished of with a brass head screw and grinding paste but said the same could be done with toothpaste if you didn't have grinding paste. He used a hand held hand powered drill real old school but very good, some people where ripping him in the comments beneath but a lot of people saying it was a very good and very informative vid.
    I'd looked for similar and most followed the same principle and some showed the results of their efforts and they weren't to shabby at all, with some very fine results. obviously the pro's do a far sharper job, but I'm guessing you pay the money for it. Considering we have just been told we are about to get a huge pay hit out here I wont be able to afford much. Gone are the days of a decent wage even for security lads out in Iraq. The corporate boys are doing what they do best "squeeze it until it stops then wind it back just enough to let the blood flow" yet they'll be giving themselves a pat on the back and yearly bonuses. "Oh the joys"
    Bring on the zombie apocalypse or the alien invasion.

Hey regards all, peace out!

Phil
    I have watched my uncle do this exact process. It looks like a round polishing rock and used an old hand drill and put it in the end of the barrel and spun it a few times and it was nice and smooth and even.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I wouldn't let Larry any where near one of my barrels......check this job at 1.01 in .......

smart corporate shirt and shiny lathe though .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsg-Yt6t-HM