Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting Crowning and silencing a SMK XS19

Cutting and re crowning is dead ease to do yourself.

I use a hack saw (fine toothed) to cut (tape round barrel to help ensure a square cut). Use a set square and fine file to get truly square. Finish with 600 wet and dry on a sanding block until very smooth. Blue cut end with cold blue. Crown with a fine small (7mm diameter) grit ball sanding stone in a hand held pin vice. My rifles are all accurate and tidy. Effective slip-on silencers are easy to make too with basic hand tools.
    Personally I'd have a go - it's easy to do and the worst case scenario is someone has to tidy up the cut end for you but that is very unlikely.

For the xs19 I would suggest 12.5inches as a good length - any more and you will loose power (you may loose 0.5-1fpe cutting to this length but more if you go shorter). I speak from experience.
    Also my particular XS19 did not have a concentric bore when cut to 10.5inches (it was fine at 12.5 inches). What I mean by this is the bore was off center and the rifle shot to one side when the barrel was cut to 10.5 inches - to the extent I needed an adjustable scope mount to accommodate it (not enough adjustment on the scope alone!). Having said that it is still accurate - sub 15mm 5 shot groups at 20yds.

Frog
    Last edited by Frog; 18-01-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    I wouldn't let Larry any where near one of my barrels......check this job at 1.01 in .......

smart corporate shirt and shiny lathe though .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsg-Yt6t-HM
    It's a short video. I bet not many could do a crown in a minute and half properly .if they can they would not get many customers 😉

Thankyou guys

just wanted to say thanks to all that replied to my thread anyone know about these home made silencers as a lot of the purchased stuff is ugly.

thanks guys

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philmatuk View Post
    just wanted to say thanks to all that replied to my thread anyone know about these home made silencers as a lot of the purchased stuff is ugly.

thanks guys

Phil
    I use this:
    http://www./itm/271566459849?_trksid...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 7/8th inch has internal diameter of 15.7
    Cut a 60mm length

Over the above is fitted 1inch outside diameter ABS conduit from B&Q - glue with Araldite - cut to desired length - 150mm about right. Use the black conduit.

And this:
    http://www./itm/10-Plastic-Blanking-...wAAOSwGvhUEEdU as the end plug - drill the exit hole about 2mm larger than your pellet size.

7/8 inch washers are glued in to the conduit to make chambers with scotch pad / plastic scourer as the damping material between the washers in the chambers - make the chambers different sizes with largest nearest muzzle - say 35mm chamber then washer then 20mm chamber then washer then 15mm chamber then end plug or something similar.

To fit your barrel line the alloy tube with plastic cut from a fizzy drink bottle - to give a nice sliding fit. Remove this and drill the conduit and alloy with 3.2mm drill and tap for 4mm grub screw like these: http://www./itm/M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-High...aDXwLlfXf4tADQ I use two grub screws on each silencer

Paint with Krylon flat black if you want to . Refit fizzy bottle shim and fit to rifle. The silencers look better if the end on the barrel is tapered down but not necessary really.

Hope that is enough of an explanation - if not let me know.

I have one made as above on my falcon PCP and it is whisper quiet - very loud crack without it. Also have them on 4 springers and a CO2 pistol and all are good. Total cost each is 2-3 quid at most.

Frog
    Last edited by Frog; 18-01-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Have a look at Konceptus in Poland. They do a good range of steel blued silencers, including slip on / glue on in 15mm

Home made one on my Hatsan 60s:

Frog

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    It's a short video. I bet not many could do a crown in a minute and half properly .if they can they would not get many customers 😉
    mate , i couldn't even get it true in the chuck in a minute and a half ........exactly the same as larry ....

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    mate , i couldn't even get it true in the chuck in a minute and a half ........exactly the same as larry ....
    ha ha. the videos are short. I'm sure he has the longer versions of his films on his website or used to.

I'm sure the barrel is centred to the bore and not the outside of the barrel .
    as per the video I posted

spot on mate

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Cutting and re crowning is dead ease to do yourself.

I use a hack saw (fine toothed) to cut (tape round barrel to help ensure a square cut). Use a set square and fine file to get truly square. Finish with 600 wet and dry on a sanding block until very smooth. Blue cut end with cold blue. Crown with a fine small (7mm diameter) grit ball sanding stone in a hand held pin vice. My rifles are all accurate and tidy. Effective slip-on silencers are easy to make too with basic hand tools.
    Personally I'd have a go - it's easy to do and the worst case scenario is someone has to tidy up the cut end for you but that is very unlikely.

For the xs19 I would suggest 12.5inches as a good length - any more and you will loose power (you may loose 0.5-1fpe cutting to this length but more if you go shorter). I speak from experience.
    Also my particular XS19 did not have a concentric bore when cut to 10.5inches (it was fine at 12.5 inches). What I mean by this is the bore was off center and the rifle shot to one side when the barrel was cut to 10.5 inches - to the extent I needed an adjustable scope mount to accommodate it (not enough adjustment on the scope alone!). Having said that it is still accurate - sub 15mm 5 shot groups at 20yds.

Frog
    Frog ..
    absolutely spot on mate I defo wont go any less then 12.5" was going to go 13 but with my luck recently i'll avoid chancing fate LOL, Anyways buddy looking forward to getting back home

Phil