Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB78 incoming!

Cool QB78 incoming!

Hi all

I refinished a stock for a mate and thought it was so nice when he put it back together that I asked for first refusal if he decided to sell it!!

I'm picking it up on wednesday!! (The bugger won't take anything for it either )

It's had work done internally and now shoots at a consistent 11.2ft lbs, As can be seen it's had some bling added!!

CLICKY

It's really a nice balanced rifle and comes to the shoulder lovely!!

Thanks Les (Kamag)

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Nice-

these rifles are quite a surprise and are a lot of fun to tune and mod for so little money. Surprisingly accurate as well! Love mine, sort of work in progress but I've already got it in a thumbhole stock and pushing out 11+ ft.lb. Where next??
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Nice one mate... I seen the pics.. looked lovely
    Donald

Ooh, you lucky bugger

Nice rifle

All of the above.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Everyone should play with one at least once in their life.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Nice John.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thumbs up

I had a few of them a few years ago, One was only doing 6ft lbs so I stripped it and did the drilling two extra holes and removing the filter, I tpered the valve head for better gas flow and other bits, Can't remember what it went up to but I think it was around 10ft lbs

It was either the top one or second down of these

I still have the grey thumbhole stock and a red one somewhere!!

Have to agree, it's great fun playing with them!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I had a few of them a few years ago, One was only doing 6ft lbs so I stripped it and did the drilling two extra holes and removing the filter, I tpered the valve head for better gas flow and other bits, Can't remember what it went up to but I think it was around 10ft lbs

It was either the top one or second down of these

I still have the grey thumbhole stock and a red one somewhere!!

Have to agree, it's great fun playing with them!!

John
    I used to enjoy tuning these things up, I've still got one knocking about in kit form so might have to dig out the bits at some point and do something with them.

Yes, I've got a 78DL that's a work in progress, a second 78 that's a new action in a custom walnut stock (never had a single pellet through it) and a rare (in this country anyway) AR2079A that is also a work in progress. Hoping they find their way to the front of the cupboard soon!

How did you do the stock, looks a nice job. I've a fettled 78, doing 11.5, scew cut barrel and short porky mod to finish it off. Thinking of making it a summer ratting outfit.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    How did you do the stock, looks a nice job. I've a fettled 78, doing 11.5, scew cut barrel and short porky mod to finish it off. Thinking of making it a summer ratting outfit.
    Hi Peddy

I had to do it twice as it was strange wood!! Parts of it were hard, tight grain that the water based stain just sat on the surface, Other parts were softer and more absorbant! I gave it a coat of the water based stain, Rubbed it back a bit with wire wool them two coats of spray lacquer, It looked terrible so I rubbed the whole lot down to clean white wood again then gave it three rubs of the stain (Water based stain gets darker with each application), I then tried applying a bit more to the harder bits with a brush then the next day gave it a light keying with the wire wool then used three rattle cans of lacquer, That was basically it!!

I did the after shot but as usual I was so eager to get stuck in that I forgot to take the before shot

John

I get these in on a weekly basis to change the original poor quality seals with decent polyurethane type. The main seals are actually the same size as used on the end cap of the Crosman 600 which I keep a stock of. I bought some spares off a guy on here which included an HPA air conversion cap for the cylinder, so will try this on the QB to see what results are obtainable, (number of shots etc). I have a regulated HPA bottle which makes it a lot safer.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Fantastic little rifles. I have a .22 with open sights and one in .25. Self contained power, very light and no plastic in sight! I have had to resort to buying co2 bulbs in bulk!

I have the XS79 and it is a fun rifle to work on. You can actually make this type of airgun cock on bolt open by rearranging some of the internals. I've made a wooden truckbed lined stock for mine.

I got one the other month and then another last week, great to work on and very easy to get the power up to hunting levels, currently seeing if I can make a new stock for one of them, if my skills are as good as my ambition!

I do fancy the rear cock mod on one of them but still deciding on which method to use.